First time at the fort (Tent camping) April

FlatBlackLI

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone I have been reading all the post on here for days and I love all the great info. I am really just looking for tips, tricks, advice or anything you would like to give me lol. We will be tent camping end of April and i was curious about how long you tent campers stay when your there. We are doing 7 nights and i hope thats not too long to be in a tent. My main concerns are heat and rain. Also i would love to hear anything from the tent campers. Also pics of your set ups. Thank you all in advance.

I don't know how late April is but I imagine it could get WARM during the day but cooler in the night. Maybe have a portable heater for the nights (I like the OIL Filled electric heaters personally). Don't know if you would really need an AC though. I also wouldn't worry too much about rain if you have a decent sized tent. Before you trip though, if you haven't already, I'd spray it with a silicone waterproofing spray at least ONCE focusing on the seams. Even the best tents, if you touch the inside will leak some water through, so that's why it's important to have a large enough tent.

As long as you squirrel proof the tent all should be good.
Someone posted (I think last year) their whole set up for their tent with storage and such.

I don't think it's so much squirrel proofing the "Tent" as much as it is the "Food". This means don't leave ANY Crumbs in the tent.... WHATSOEVER!

The NSS is still out there (Well I think they are since I have been away for awhile).

If the weather continues on it's current trend this year, you will not have to worry about it being too hot at night, when you will be in the tent. We are only a couple days until April here and still using using heat at night. I can't remember another year when we have had such cold weather this late in the year. Day times are gorgeous, but nights are cold.

Basically, it could go either way in the next few weeks. I wouldn't think you would need anything more than a fan in the event of cooling required. I would definitely bring an electric space heater in case the nights are still cool.

Great info so far thanks. I was not thinking Hester but now I think I will get a small one just to cover myself. Do the stakes that come with tents work well or is it worth getting different ones? I hope more tips and advice lee coming on this thread. I love all the info I get from you guys.

We tent camp at the Fort about 2 times a year for about 10 - 14 days sometimes longer. We have a good sized tent 19x17, holds 2 queen air mattresses, a 3x6 folding table, 2 drawer plastic storage bin, fan, and carpet, and still have plenty of room to walk around in tent. When I got the tent, I took the stakes that came with it out and bought the ones that look like spike, ( long nails) that you can get at Wally Weird for I think 1.00 ea. Those work pretty well in the tent pad at the Fort. We also have the mini Christmas lights, white, that hang on the inside of the tent, blue around the outside canopy of the tent and a 12x12 ez-up with white lights hanging around that. I will post pics of it all a little later for you.

We tent camp at the Fort about 2 times a year for about 10 - 14 days sometimes longer. We have a good sized tent 19x17, holds 2 queen air mattresses, a 3x6 folding table, 2 drawer plastic storage bin, fan, and carpet, and still have plenty of room to walk around in tent. When I got the tent, I took the stakes that came with it out and bought the ones that look like spike, ( long nails) that you can get at Wally Weird for I think 1.00 ea. Those work pretty well in the tent pad at the Fort. We also have the mini Christmas lights, white, that hang on the inside of the tent, blue around the outside canopy of the tent and a 12x12 ez-up with white lights hanging around that. I will post pics of it all a little later for you.

I would love to see pictures of your setup. I was thinking bringing my white LED christmas tree lights. we will just have one tent 16x16. Me, wife, and daughter (8). Its a 3 room tent. I saw stakes at the store looked like a long thick nail with an orange tip.

FBLI consider bringing along the following
A 2 outdoor rated extension cords and a surge strip for each one
B A mallet to drive your tent stakes
C Skein of rope to use to as clothes line
D Bungee cord to add to securing your cooler and keep the locals out

FBLI consider bringing along the following
A 2 outdoor rated extension cords and a surge strip for each one
B A mallet to drive your tent stakes
C Skein of rope to use to as clothes line
D Bungee cord to add to securing your cooler and keep the locals out

Thanks I love all those suggestions. I am not sure we will be bringing a cooler because we will most likely have the dining plan. But maybe I should bring one anyway. Also do you use the tent stakes that come with your tent or do you have any you recommend. Someone else recommended ones but I am wondering what others do.

Snowmedic's suggestion of spikes from Wally World is a great idea Having extra's is a good thing they won't take up much space in your kit
Now remember you will be camping and while Disney routinely sprays for BUGS having some DEET bug spray helps. While the wildlife is on Disney Property they are NOT DISNEY Critters if you don't want them in your house at home you don't want them in your tent treat them as wildlife admire them but leave them be.

How is the big situation at the Fort. I don’t ever remember Disney being overly buggy but also I realize I will be living in the woods while I’m there. Big spay is already packed lol

Bigs aren't bad, FlatBlackLi.

Disney drives a truck through the campground at times (I've seen it) that sprays the mister spray to try to control mosquitos. While it doesn't catch every single little critter, it does a fairly good job. It's not a swarming situation anytime if that's what you wondered.

So you don't have to worry about the big situation.

Bama Ed

:teeth:

Bigs aren't bad, FlatBlackLi.

Disney drives a truck through the campground at times (I've seen it) that sprays the mister spray to try to control mosquitos. While it doesn't catch every single little critter, it does a fairly good job. It's not a swarming situation anytime if that's what you wondered.

So you don't have to worry about the big situation.

Bama Ed

:teeth:
Ed is right I've seen , heard, and smelled the truck and it does a good job at controlling most of them
As for the BIG situation I say don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff

Never seen a mosquito at the Fort, but got by legs eaten up by chiggers just sitting at our picnic table last time we were there.

Never seen a mosquito at the Fort, but got by legs eaten up by chiggers just sitting at our picnic table last time we were there.

Actually, was probably 'no see um' bites. Chiggers don't 'bite' immediately, but settle into the skin in a warm spot and are really 'attached' to the skin and feed there (like ticks). They're just so tiny you don't think of them the same. I'm a deep south girl with lots of experience with them unfortunately. My dh is 'very' allergic to them, so we've read up on most of the basics, and how to deal with them.

We've never seen any mosquitoes either - in fact have never been bothered by any bugs - was given bug wipes, but never used them.

whats a Chigger?

A very small 'annoyance' that most of us call 'red bugs'!!! They're 'big' on irritation though!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter