First time cruiser with some questions

Johnnaoo7

Earning My Ears
I apologize, as I know most of my questions have probably been answered in other posts. There are so many that I figured the quickest way to get the answers I need was to just make my own post. My husband and I are planning a cruise for early 2019. My daughter will turn 3 at the end of February so if we book the cruise before then, there is a discount in price from age 2 to 3. I also have a son who will be 5 for this cruise, and since he loves superheroes we're looking at the MDAS cruises. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in the January/February timeframe when departing from Miami and going to Key West, Nassau and Cast Away Cay?

Some other questions I have are about my 2 year old. I read somewhere that 2 year olds aren't allowed to go to the pool. Is that correct? Also can 2 year olds have makeovers done at the BBB?

Any advice about cruising with a 2 year old and a 5 year old will be greatly appreciated. . My 2 year old is very bright. She's on the small side, but she talks like she's much older and thinks she can do anything big brother does. This will be all of our first cruise so all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Weather:
Been there when it was absolutely lovely, then 6 days later - nice, but windy and chilly (that trip was a cruise, 3 days on land and another short cruise). Other times have been pretty nice, but not overly hot or humid, and then on our last trip that stopped at Castaway Cay - didn't get off of the ship, upper 60's, rainy and very windy.

So it just Depends!!

Pools:
NO Swim Diapers in the Pool. But the ships do have a splash area for the little ones, and I THINK that swim diapers are allowed here (my kids are almost in their 30's so it's been a long time since we've had a little one on the ship with us.

BBB:
I don't have a clue - this was added long after our kids were older than teenagers

Other Info:
Kids must be potty trained to use the kids clubs. The little one might have to go to the nursery. There is a fee for this service and you should try to reserve your times online.

Advice:
1) Wear Sunscreen - the sun IS different down there than at home (usually) - sunburns are no fun ever, and especially not on vacations
2) Not every cruise (or any vacation) goes as planned. Be Flexible, and go with the flow. Don't get stressed out over things outside of your control!!
3) "Magic Happens" frequently. Don't "hunt it down", it will come to you. It's not a scavenger hunt (this comment is for those that have read all of these threads, and have read about many really cool experiences that have happened to other cruisers. These things don't happen all of the time nor to everyone onboard.)
4) You can't eat it ALL (I've tried). ... But, try new foods at dinner, if you don't like it your serving team is more than happy to get you something else (at no addition charge - unlike at a land based restaurant)
5) Sleep is for AFTER the cruise - but with your little ones, naps and early to bed will probably happen. But do try to let your kids stay up later than normal. The 5yo will probably love the kids club and will not want to leave it. On the other hand, I think that I could sleep the whole cruise away. The beds are comfy, the gentle rocking motion - and I don't want to wake up!!

Weather:
Been there when it was absolutely lovely, then 6 days later - nice, but windy and chilly (that trip was a cruise, 3 days on land and another short cruise). Other times have been pretty nice, but not overly hot or humid, and then on our last trip that stopped at Castaway Cay - didn't get off of the ship, upper 60's, rainy and very windy.

So it just Depends!!

Pools:
NO Swim Diapers in the Pool. But the ships do have a splash area for the little ones, and I THINK that swim diapers are allowed here (my kids are almost in their 30's so it's been a long time since we've had a little one on the ship with us.

BBB:
I don't have a clue - this was added long after our kids were older than teenagers

Other Info:
Kids must be potty trained to use the kids clubs. The little one might have to go to the nursery. There is a fee for this service and you should try to reserve your times online.

Advice:
1) Wear Sunscreen - the sun IS different down there than at home (usually) - sunburns are no fun ever, and especially not on vacations
2) Not every cruise (or any vacation) goes as planned. Be Flexible, and go with the flow. Don't get stressed out over things outside of your control!!
3) "Magic Happens" frequently. Don't "hunt it down", it will come to you. It's not a scavenger hunt (this comment is for those that have read all of these threads, and have read about many really cool experiences that have happened to other cruisers. These things don't happen all of the time nor to everyone onboard.)
4) You can't eat it ALL (I've tried). ... But, try new foods at dinner, if you don't like it your serving team is more than happy to get you something else (at no addition charge - unlike at a land based restaurant)
5) Sleep is for AFTER the cruise - but with your little ones, naps and early to bed will probably happen. But do try to let your kids stay up later than normal. The 5yo will probably love the kids club and will not want to leave it. On the other hand, I think that I could sleep the whole cruise away. The beds are comfy, the gentle rocking motion - and I don't want to wake up!!

Thanks for all the advice! Fingers crossed that she’ll be potty trained by then. Neither of my kids like sleep much, so we’ll definitely catchup on that after the cruise. I also meant to ask earlier, what time can we board the ship on the first day? I know it departs at 4pm. Thanks again!!!

Thanks for all the advice! Fingers crossed that she’ll be potty trained by then. Neither of my kids like sleep much, so we’ll definitely catchup on that after the cruise. I also meant to ask earlier, what time can we board the ship on the first day? I know it departs at 4pm. Thanks again!!!
When you check in online you will pick a PAT (Port Arrival Time) unless you do Disney transfers (price varies by port) . This is not the same as a boarding time. When you check in at the port, you will receive a boarding number. When your boarding number is called, or has passed you may board. Generally if you arrive after 1 there will be little to no wait to board.

If your 2 year old is potty trained, they are welcome in the pool, it is dependent on potty training status, not age.

Last edited:
When you check in online you will pick a PAT (Port Arrival Time) unless you do Disney transfers for $30 a person.
Just fyi, the price of DCL transfers varies by port. For cruises sailing out of Port Canaveral, transfers are currently $35 per person, each way.

As for BBB your child has to be 3. Also has to be 3 to go into kids club, but can go to the nursery but there is a fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter