First Time Cruiser

lovemickeyminnie

Earning My Ears
If this is a first cruise...when is the best and which one would you do? 3 night, 4 night, 5 night, 7 night? Bahamas, Caribbean one?

I have been on a pontoon several times and don’t get motion sick on rides at Disney!! I have never been car sick either. Do you think start out on a small cruise? How do you prevent seasickness?

Thank you

If this is a first cruise...when is the best and which one would you do? 3 night, 4 night, 5 night, 7 night? Bahamas, Caribbean one?

I have been on a pontoon several times and don’t get motion sick on rides at Disney!! Do you think start out on a small cruise? I do you prevent seasickness?

Thank you

Defintely the 7 nights. 7 nights is also a short cruise especially for your first cruise.

7 night! 3 night, by the time you are settled in you are getting ready to go home. A 4 night you will have to make lots of choices on what to do. A 7 night gives you the full time to relax and more availability to try out different experiences! I get motion sick and I take Dramamine or Bonine starting the night before the cruise and then once daily. With that, I have no issues on board.

I have been on a pontoon several times and don’t get motion sick on rides at Disney!! I have never been car sick either. Do you think start out on a small cruise? How do you prevent seasickness?

Thank you
My personal view - longer is better, so 7 nights wins out over the other options you've posted. That said, my first cruise was a 15 nighter.....

Short cruises are just that - short. 3 night cruise, really only 2 days, not much time to see/do anything.

Thank you

I'm sure there are exceptions (ie people who don't get motion sick anywhere else but get seasick), but I would think if you don't get sick on any of your aforementioned things then you will be fine seasickness wise. I do not get motion sick and have been on over 20 cruises and never seasick. It's a floating city, so it barely moves most of the time. If you were on a MUCH smaller boat and not seasick you will probably be fine.

I think 7 days is a decent enough sample size to help you decide whether you like cruising or not.

I would not do less than a 4 night. The 4-night Bahamas cruise is fun and is a good introduction if you question the value. We mostly go for 7 day cruises but have a 4 day set for February.

I chose an 8 night Mediterranean for our first DCL cruise! I think the 7 night one allows you to do more and even relax a little :)

We just got off our first and it was a 7 nighter. We have another 5 night in March that had actually been booked first and I’m so bummed! I can’t imagine doing anything less than 7 now! Especially for your first, you need time to try to see it all *and* relax, too!

I'm starting with a 4 night for my first cruise. Cruises are expensive, and if it turns out not to be my cup of tea, I don't want to break the bank over it.

Our first cruise was a 7 nt Alaskan. For us the destination is key! If we're spending the money for a cruise, it should be taking us to places we want to go! On the first cruise we discovered that DD18 feels seasick (despite wearing seabands)--starting Bonine the night before the cruise and taking 1/nt during the cruise works for her!

I’m notorious for seasickness. I drank peppermint tea at dinner and had ginger chews just in case. I was fine (and never slept better!)

We started with a 4 day one. DH was convinced he might be seasick but, more importantly, that he would be bored. I wasn't concerned about seasickness - I'd been on large ferries before and had no problems but I wasn't sure how crammed with kids it would be. I think that 4 days is a good start. No, it's definitely not long enough (we prefer >10 day ones now) but if you don't like it, especially if you're bored or it's just not your cup of tea, you're neither committed to 7 days nor do you feel like you've spent this huge amount of money and you aren't happy. We combined it with days before and after at WDW so that we would have something else to do if we didn't like the cruise.

I think 4 night is a good starter, to get your feet wet so to speak. 3 night, don't really get to take everything in, by the time you've figured out port/starboard/forward/aft you're getting off the ship. 4 night allows a relaxing day at sea. Hope that helps, but whichever one you decide, have a magical VACAY

I would definitely do a 4 or 5 night for a starter cruise. It gives you a good idea as to what is going on, how the ships and excursions work, and you aren't stuck on it forever if you hate it (which, by the way, isn't likely, but there are a few). I would recommend Caribbean over the Bahamas, but that is just my opinion. Do what you think you and your group will like best!

Our first was a 5 night on the Magic out of Miami (March 2017). It seems people love cruises or hate cruises so we didn't want to hate it but be stuck for 7 days. We thought it was perfect introduction. We had 2 sea days to explore the ship with stops in Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay.

I brought meclizine but didn't need it on the Magic. The first night was a bit bumpy but then smooth the rest of the trip. Our next cruise was on Fantasy (January 2018), I'm glad I brought the meclizine- I needed it. The first couple days and last day there was a lot of movement and vibrations.

Our first was a 5 night on the Magic out of Miami (March 2017). It seems people love cruises or hate cruises so we didn't want to hate it but be stuck for 7 days. We thought it was perfect introduction. We had 2 sea days to explore the ship with stops in Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay.

I brought meclizine but didn't need it on the Magic. The first night was a bit bumpy but then smooth the rest of the trip. Our next cruise was on Fantasy (January 2018), I'm glad I brought the meclizine- I needed it. The first couple days and last day there was a lot of movement and vibrations.
Well, on the Fantasy, there are vibrations that aren't on the other ships. But most ships departing out of Port Canaveral have some vibration while crossing the current into the ocean.

Don't do less than 4 for your first cruise. You want to at least be able to experience a day at sea which you don't really get on most 3 night. My vote is always longer is better if it fits your schedule and budget. I prefer the 7 night cruises.

Sounds like you do not have a reason to suspect sea sickness, so I wouldn't be overly concerned. It's not a bad idea to travel with some Dramamine. However, if you forget it, it's sold on the boat and they give out meclizine(more or less the same thing) in sick bay. You can also use natural remedies on the ship (ginger and mint) - available in tea's mostly.

Also, if you have any concern, go for a cabin in the center of the ship as opposed to fore or aft.

If you find you do get sea sick, there are other remedies for future cruises that vary in how individuals react to them, but I wouldn't plan around those based on what you have said.

We are those people who didn't take everyone's advice and did a 3-night first. (We also flew in on embarkation day.:duck:) It went quickly for sure, but we went into it with no expectation that we'd be able to accomplish anything other than have a relaxing weekend and make a note of some things we'd want to do onboard on future sailings. If you're like me and prefer to be out on a verandah with a drink and reading material (and a happy child in the club), there's a lot of enjoyment to be had over two days.

That said, our upcoming cruise will be 7 nights. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!