First time renter in need of advice!

Brenda Wood

Earning My Ears
Hello! I am planning a Disney trip. I would like to rent points for this trip, as it seems to be a huge savings! But I have never done this before. I have been speaking to someone who rents for $13pp and uses paypal for payment. I got the email address from a mothers group, but don't know anyone who has actually rented from this person. The price seems to good to be true. What can I do to make sure I am protected? In this case, and in any other?

Any other tips/advice for first time renters? Things we need to know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! I am planning a Disney trip. I would like to rent points for this trip, as it seems to be a huge savings! But I have never done this before. I have been speaking to someone who rents for $13pp and uses paypal for payment. I got the email address from a mothers group, but don't know anyone who has actually rented from this person. The price seems to good to be true. What can I do to make sure I am protected? In this case, and in any other?

Any other tips/advice for first time renters? Things we need to know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's important to know that Paypal provides zero protection for a timeshare rental transaction. It's in their terms. This person should be able to give you references.

Before payment, they should also be able to give you a reservation number to link in My Disney Experience. They MUST offer you a contract - if there is no contract, they are in violation of their ownership agreement with the DVC timeshare, and that's never a good look.

Most DVC owners will make your booking non-refundable due to the nature of the DVC program. Be sure you realize that and are comfortable with it.

Frankly, I generally recommend to first-time renters that they use an agency, because there is a lot more hand-holding, there are contracts and there is a level of professionalism to help with the process.

Well, it's important to know that Paypal provides zero protection for a timeshare rental transaction. It's in their terms. This person should be able to give you references.

Before payment, they should also be able to give you a reservation number to link in My Disney Experience. They MUST offer you a contract - if there is no contract, they are in violation of their ownership agreement with the DVC timeshare, and that's never a good look.

Most DVC owners will make your booking non-refundable due to the nature of the DVC program. Be sure you realize that and are comfortable with it.

Frankly, I generally recommend to first-time renters that they use an agency, because there is a lot more hand-holding, there are contracts and there is a level of professionalism to help with the process.

Thank you! I have asked the person for references, but am still nervous. I have looked at a couple agencies, but wasn't sure if the extra cost was worth the service/comfort they provide. Are there things that could go wrong after I receive the confirmation number and verify it in My Disney Experience?

Thank you! I have asked the person for references, but am still nervous. I have looked at a couple agencies, but wasn't sure if the extra cost was worth the service/comfort they provide. Are there things that could go wrong after I receive the confirmation number and verify it in My Disney Experience?

Yes. The owner could cancel the reservation. They could have the contract foreclosed. While neither is common they are risks with non zero occurrence.

The member you rent from will own the reservation, so they do have the ability to cancel it at any time without your knowledge. That's a very rare occurrence, but it has happened.

That's the big advantage to renting from an agency; you'll get your money back if the member cancels the reservation out from under you.

The member you rent from will own the reservation, so they do have the ability to cancel it at any time without your knowledge. That's a very rare occurrence, but it has happened.

That's the big advantage to renting from an agency; you'll get your money back if the member cancels the reservation out from under you.
If I did not know the person I was renting from, I would go with an agency. MO.

I would strongly suggest you do a lot of homework! There is a lot of valuable information on the Dis as well as reputable renters here; Davids is a sponsor and trusted site. I believe I read that PayPal cannot take payments for timeshare rentals, so that would be red flag number 1. Also the low price (owners can get more $ selling to David's) and no verifiable references. If it were me, I would run, not walk away from that situation.

I would strongly suggest you do a lot of homework! There is a lot of valuable information on the Dis as well as reputable renters here; Davids is a sponsor and trusted site. I believe I read that PayPal cannot take payments for timeshare rentals, so that would be red flag number 1. Also the low price (owners can get more $ selling to David's) and no verifiable references. If it were me, I would run, not walk away from that situation.

Paypal can take payments. There is just no buyer protection whatsoever.

It's also a little dodgy that they're charging less an agency would pay them, for someone they don't know. Not totally impossible, but a little odd.

Unless you're trying to book Saratoga or inside 7 months, and depending on the timeline, in some cases $13PP would be overcharging.

Personally, I would rather pay a bit more and go with a company like David's, knowing you'll have some protection and actually have a room to stay in once you arrive. Although I wouldn't be happy if I lost the money to a scammer, I would be more unhappy arriving in FL expecting to have a great vacation, only to find out I had no room to stay in. The low cost does seem a bit suspicious, since they could get the same amount using a broker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!