First time to Disney World!!!!

Amere

Earning My Ears
I can't even say how excited I am! My best friend and I (both in our late 20's) are headed down and will be there Feb 20-25. We are actually staying in Davenport with my Grandma to save money and we got the 4-Day Park Hopper.
A few questions for you veterans!

What can we expect the crowds to be like?

How early should we leave in order to be at the parks before they open -we have planned to be at the parks on days when they are not early entry.

Any pointers on things we can't miss, or things we might not think to bring?

Also, can you tell me how to add a counter on the end of this post?

Thanks so much for your help!:Pinkbounc

First off, welcome to the DIS! Secondly, congratulations on getting to go to WDW! I'm sure you will have a great trip.

I would recommend going to your local bookstore and picking up a WDW guide so that you can be prepared as possible for your trip. My favorite is Birnbaum's guide (the "official" guide) because it is well layed out full of pictures and still rather consise. Also, hanging out on these boards will be a great help as well!

As for the crowds, the first part of your trip will probably be more crowded than the second part, because President's week is going on when you arrive. The worst day will likely be Saturday. I would say avoid the Magic Kingdom on that day. I think you have a good plan by avoiding early entry (Extra Magic Hour) park days.

All 4 of the parks open at 9AM so I would recommend arriving at about 8AM so that gives you time to park and get to the gate.

Be sure to bring COMFORTABLE walking shoes, as you will do a ton of walking! That's actually one of the things I enjoy about WDW, because I do so much eating and I can walk it right off! :)

Anyway, have a great time! We will be arriving right about the time you guys are leaving and we're getting really excited too!

I'm sure others here will have some additional pointers and recommendations.

OH WOW... the parks are going to be so crowded!!! The celebrations will be huge... Why??? Its my birthday hehehe.

In all seriousness we go every year over my birthday and we don't find it too awfully crowded. Leave an hour and a half to an hour and 45 min before park opening if your heart is set on getting there right when it opens (this also depends on how well you know the roads). As for things you can't miss, lol, you can't miss anything!!! I suggest you go through the Theme Park portion of this site, as well as www.wdwig.com, see if there's anything you cannot stand missing. I would say not to miss any of the major attractions in any of the parks of course.

As for things you might not think to take I suggest looking through the packing lists here http://www.wdwig.com/forgot.htm both for what you would take to the parks and what you would pack for the trip. My family has gone to WDW since before I can remember, but I remember my wife telling me about going with her drill team in high school, none of them had been before and they didn't study up on what to do. They had a Blast!!! they just ran around the parks doing everything they saw. When I took her for for 2 weeks as part of our honey moon she was amazed at what more there was to do that they hadn't seen. What is my point??? Just go and do anything you see, anything that looks fun. When you get the chance to go back you'll be a little more prepared to search out all the things you didn't get to do the first time. I hope you two have a great trip!!!

PS.... I thought of something not to miss. Ice station Cool, its a coke display where you get to test coke sponsored drinks from all over the world, this is a great place to get a free drink!!! I'll just warn you about a drink called Beverly, thats all I will say wont say its bad or that its sooooo good that you will be addicted.
Anyways this is located in Epcot, as you enter epcot you will walk past spaceship earth (the epcot ball) next you will see a huge water fountain go on the right side of the fountain and you will see an Ice cave just go through it and it will take you to the store!!! again enjoy

I have been most of my trips during that time frame. It is slightly crowded but not the worst it can be. In my mind having a reasonable crowd just makes the whole experience more real and exciting. I have been when the parks were practically empty and it just seemed like some of the magic was missing. With more people it becomes a shared experience.

The only other advice I can give you is to go to Disney.com and get the park hours. Get there as early as you can and leave when your feet hurt so bad you can't stand it anymore, not a second before. Just kidding! My only other advise would be to leave your adult attitudes at your Grandma's and be a child again. You will have a great time.
:smooth:

I am so excited for you !!!!!!!

I agree with phanomouse. The first time I went I didn't have a clue about anything, but everything I saw and did was exciting !!!

Some not to miss things.....

Spectromagic - check out if it will be running any of the nights you will be there

illuminations and tapestry of dreams. - I was so in awe of these the first time I saw them

some attractions - In Mk - Space Mountain - Splash Mountain - Pirates of the Carribbean - Jungle Cruise - Buzz Lightyear - Alien Encounter - It's a small world - Big thunder Mountain Railroad

In Mgm - Rockin rollercoaster - Tower of terror - Great Movie ride (if it is open) Beauty and the Beast show- muppetvision - Fantasmic

Epcot - Eat your way around World showcase, Spaceship earth, Test Track, honey I shrunk the audience, Body wars, Journey into your imagination,Cranium command.....ohh and out of all of the attractions in WS ..Go the the show in America( forget what it is called) Gets me teary eyed every time.

Animal Kingdom - It's tought to be a bug - safari - dinosaur - Lion king show - Kali river rapids ( will get wet on this one).

Also, being that you are driving, I don't know if you will get a chance to do it, but if you can, go to Pleasure Island. Great clubs !!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter