First time with disability in group, questions

rwodonnell

Mouseketeer
Hello -

This will be our first time traveling with anyone with any special needs, and as the de facto leader of our little entourage, I am trying to educate myself. Thanks so much for the information that I have already been able to gather here on this board! Here are some remaining questions, large and small and in no particular order.

First, a little more about our group. My mom can walk, but she can't do a lot of stairs and distances, so we got her an ECV for the week. My 11 yr old nephew has "trisomy 9" (no idea how to spell that). He is delayed and his behaviour is similar to mild autistic children. He has low muscle tone and can only walk short distances. We rented a wheel chair for him from Randy as well (not sure why my sister isn't planning to just use his stroller). He also has little or no patience, but he does like to "people-watch" so hopefully that will be a common activity for him.

1. My dad rented the ECV for my mom from Randy's Mobility. Everything seems fine except that Randy charged dad's card immediately for the full amount. Am I the only one who thinks this is odd, and is Randy reliable to meet us at the arranged time we have set up with him? Any experiences with Randy out there would be good to hear.
  2. I have read about the GAC. Do we need one (two?) and why?
  3. If we drive to the parks and park there, should we ride the trams? Is there a way to load the ECV into the tram? Or should my mom just race alongside?! :) I think she recently got a NY state handicapped tag, maybe there is a closer place for her to park?
  4. How much driving can my mom do in that thing during the day? We are staying at OKW and there is a one mile walkway to Downtown Disney that most of us would enjoy walking (I can push my nephew). I am wondering if we would get stuck there! (Guess we could load it into a bus and come home that way.)
  5. Because of my mom's and nephew's limited mobility, we asked for first floor rooms (we have a 2 bdrm and studio at OKW). The reservation has that as a note (and even says for "medical reasons", though I don't recall saying anything more than mentioning their limited mobility). In your experiences out there, are these requests likely to be granted?

Thanks, and I apologize in advance if these are FAQs. I did read the FAQ thread, but I have been known to look right at things and not see them (ask my wife!)

1. I also think it is odd, but Randy's has always been reported as reliable on this forum.

2. Normally a GAC is not needed for either an ECV or WC. It is designed for "invisible" disabilities.

3. There is no way to load an ECV on the trams. If she has a state-issued handicap hang tag it can be used with a rental and it will allow use of the handicap parking areas. As an aside, if you go to one of the deluxe hotels with the hang tag you get free valet parking. (Just remember, though, that the valets are tip positions.)

4. Full-size ECVs, such as the ones that are rentals, will normally get about 25 miles at maximum weight and maximum speed on one charge. It is very rare for anyone to do over ten miles in one day at WDW (unless you are in the Marathon).

5. I'm not a DVC member, but normally when they put "medical necessity" on the reservation it is a strong guarantee.

Thank you so much for your reply! You answered all my questions!

I guess if we take 2 cars to the park, they will park close and we will ride the tram and meet up at the entrance.

This is a little off-topic, but regarding valets, I have no experience - how much should they be tipped? I usually just avoid parking anywhere that would need one! :rolleyes:

I think Cheshire, friend of Figment, covered most of what I would pass along. We have been 3 times w/ my disabled mom and Disney is one of the few destinations that actually feels like a vacation for her. Everyone is more that helpful and accomidating... no surprise there!!! Bring your handicap tag and use the permitted lots, they are a blessing and make going to and from the park a breeze. Ask for the handicap accessible entry for rides and Disney allows your entire party to stay together.

rwodonnell said:
My 11 yr old nephew has "trisomy 9" (no idea how to spell that). He is delayed and his behaviour is similar to mild autistic children. He has low muscle tone and can only walk short distances. We rented a wheel chair for him from Randy as well (not sure why my sister isn't planning to just use his stroller). He also has little or no patience, but he does like to "people-watch" so hopefully that will be a common activity for him.
You did spell it right. :)
Depending on his size, he might be OK in a wheelchair. If he's on the small size (like 5 feet or less), you may find that the wheelchair armrests are up around shoulder height and he kind of slouches in the chair because it is too big. If you are flying, she may want to bring a stroller along for him or request a wheelchair. it's a looonnnngg walk from the gate to luggage claim.
My dad rented the ECV for my mom from Randy's Mobility. Everything seems fine except that Randy charged dad's card immediately for the full amount. Am I the only one who thinks this is odd, and is Randy reliable to meet us at the arranged time we have set up with him? Any experiences with Randy out there would be good to hear.
People have reported good experiences with Randy's in the past. I don't know about charging the charge card right away. Don't remember anyone mentioning that before, but have seen lots of good things posted about Randy's
I have read about the GAC. Do we need one (two?) and why?
Your mom probably doesn't need a GAC. Since she is using an ecv, she will be routed to the wheelchair accessible lines.
For your nephew, it may or may not be helpful. If he ends up using a stroller instead of a wheelchair, then he would need a GAC to use the stroller in line. If he needs a quieter place to wait, then he would need a GAC, but if he will be OK in line with using the wheelchair, then he doesn't need a GAC. it's basically a tool to let the CMs know what sorts of assistance are needed for people with invisible disabilities.
You don't have to get one the first day. You can see how things go and get one later in your trip. If the park is not busy, you will find short waits and the GAC won't really help that much.
If we drive to the parks and park there, should we ride the trams? Is there a way to load the ECV into the tram? Or should my mom just race alongside?! :) I think she recently got a NY state handicapped tag, maybe there is a closer place for her to park?
The trams are not ECV accessible, so your only choices are to use the handicapped parking lot area or use the buses (they are equipped with ramps/lifts and tiedowns for wheelchairs and ecvs) Each bus can hold a total of 2.
If you want to drive, make sure the ecv she rents is able to be taken apart for transport in a car trunk (and you know how to take it apart/put it back together). Also, think about how much space you need to hold bothe the ecv and the wheelchair.
How much driving can my mom do in that thing during the day? We are staying at OKW and there is a one mile walkway to Downtown Disney that most of us would enjoy walking (I can push my nephew). I am wondering if we would get stuck there! (Guess we could load it into a bus and come home that way.)
I don't think you'll have a problem. I'll let the ecv users answer, but she should have enough power to go many miles in a day.
Because of my mom's and nephew's limited mobility, we asked for first floor rooms (we have a 2 bdrm and studio at OKW). The reservation has that as a note (and even says for "medical reasons", though I don't recall saying anything more than mentioning their limited mobility). In your experiences out there, are these requests likely to be granted?
We are DVC members at OKW and have never had a problem getting our medical requests filled. First floor is not that difficult a request to fill, so I don't think you will have a problem.
Thanks, and I apologize in advance if these are FAQs. I did read the FAQ thread, but I have been known to look right at things and not see them (ask my wife!)
Even if someone else asked the same question or it is in the FAQs, it's OK to ask again. Sometimes your question or the answer is a little different because of the individual situation.

So anyway, here's some pixie dust for a great trip for your little group.

i guess we were all typing at the same time. When I started, no one else had posted (I am a little more long winded than the rest).

SueM in MN said:
i guess we were all typing at the same time. When I started, no one else had posted (I am a little more long winded than the rest).

Not long winded, just thorough!

Thank you all very much! Most of my worries have been relieved! Now if only Logan doesn't cancel dozens of flights on the day we leave, like it did today! The snow has to be almost over, doesn't it?

Oh...about the tipping. I can help with that.
Altho it is only expected when you pick UP your car from the valet...a nicer way is to give them a dollar when you drop it off and another dollar when you pick it up. If they spend a long time helping you load/unload...say a wheelchair and other stuff...then you can be a bit more generous. But even one dollar on pick up is appreciated.
Have a great trip!!!!!
Colorado Belle

rwodonnell said:
Thank you so much for your reply! You answered all my questions!

This is a little off-topic, but regarding valets, I have no experience - how much should they be tipped? I usually just avoid parking anywhere that would need one!
My tipping of valets depends on several factors. Normally I will tip both the person who takes the car as well as the person who brings it back.

If I do not need assistance with my ECV, depending on the weather I will tip $1.00 in good weather or $2.00 if it is either raining or extremely hot and humid.

If the valet assists with my ECV, either taking it out of the trunk and assembling it, or disassembling it and storing it in the trunk I will tip $5.00. However, if the valet is "too busy" to assist with the ECV not only will there be no tip but there will be a discussion with a supervisor.

Thanks again. It just occurred to me as I was ordering tickets for them that my nephew, who is 11, but is smaller than his 9 year old sister and in many ways is mentally like a 3 or 4 year old, will require a full priced adult ticket. I think that's too bad and that they should allow for cheaper tickets for handicapped, and in particular, mentally handicapped. I suppose such a system would be ripe for abuse, however.

He is very funny about this upcoming trip. He tends to perseverate on things. He keeps telling us he has to work at the fire station while we're there.

I know what perseverate means (the inability to change behavior when encountering a novel stimulus)! It was on my Child Language Disorders exam today :banana:.
Impulsivity was on there too... I couldn't stop myself from posting this :Pinkbounc
K

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter