First Timer - Need ADR Advice!

KRCMOM

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

Brand new to all of this - never been to DW, going 9/25 with my DH, DS9, DD7 and DS3 for our first family trip there! I am booking through Small World Vacations, and my TA has been so responsive for the last two days as I continue to stalk her via e-mail. I thought I would give her a little break and check with some board experts. :cool2:

So here's the scoop - we are booked at BCR 9/25-10/3. I have a Magic Your Way Package that includes free dining. Since I don't have a Disney Rewards Visa, my TA is going to book my package the minute the FD opens to the public, either Sunday night or Monday. After perusing these boards, I'm feeling major pressure to have my ADR selections ready to go by the time FD is released to the general public! Which gives me like...no time!

I keep reading that late September is the "slow" season...but also that during FD it's hard to get ressies. Do these two things cancel each other out and make it reasonable? Should I absolutely have my dining ready to be booked along with the package, even though it's supposedly a slow time in DW?

My brain is melting over all the info on these boards, it is SO great but so overwhelming. I've been lurking for some time, but now that the trip is reality panic has set in :scared1: (and utter excitement, of course)! :banana:

I would also welcome any recommendations for ADR. I'm not hugely adventurous in the dining department, and neither are the kids (my poor DH...he is!)

Thanks in advance!

You know you can books ADR's now if you are within 180 days. You do not need a trip booked 1st.

Whoops, can you tell I'm a first timer in every sense of the word? Meant to post this in the ADR section....

Hi all!

Brand new to all of this - never been to DW, going 9/25 with my DH, DS9, DD7 and DS3 for our first family trip there! I am booking through Small World Vacations, and my TA has been so responsive for the last two days as I continue to stalk her via e-mail. I thought I would give her a little break and check with some board experts.

So here's the scoop - we are booked at BCR 9/25-10/3. I have a Magic Your Way Package that includes free dining. Since I don't have a Disney Rewards Visa, my TA is going to book my package the minute the FD opens to the public, either Sunday night or Monday. After perusing these boards, I'm feeling major pressure to have my ADR selections ready to go by the time FD is released to the general public! Which gives me like...no time!

I keep reading that late September is the "slow" season...but also that during FD it's hard to get ressies. Do these two things cancel each other out and make it reasonable? Should I absolutely have my dining ready to be booked along with the package, even though it's supposedly a slow time in DW?

My brain is melting over all the info on these boards, it is SO great but so overwhelming. I've been lurking for some time, but now that the trip is reality panic has set in (and utter excitement, of course)!

I would also welcome any recommendations for ADR. I'm not hugely adventurous in the dining department, and neither are the kids (my poor DH...he is!)

Thanks in advance!

If it your first time and you have children I would definately do some character dinners,Crystal palace is good,I don't like Chef Mickey's at all but they have good characters(the fab 5)1900 Park Fare at Grand Floridian is pretty good,

Like a previous poster said, you can book 180 days out without having your resort, etc booked.

But, here's my advice. Since it's your first time, don't worry if there's some spots you cannot get into. For some places it's normal. There's lots and lots of choices. And don't get too worried if you see some people saying they don't like a certain restaurant that you really want to try. People have very varied opinions on things. There's a large thread somewhere about The Coral Reef restaurant. One of my favorite places. But many people do not like it.

Have fun!

I agree with the previous poster. Make your on opinions.:thumbsup2 There are a few restaurants that book very fast. (Le Cellier, Cind. Royal Table, Chef Mickey) I would go ahead and book these as soon as the 180 day mark arrives. allears.net website can give you the menus for all the restaurants. I love to use it as a reference.:love: Since it's your first time do what you want to do and make your own opinions. You really can't go wrong. There are some restaurants that are better than others but they are all about the same. I would recommend doing some character dinning and regular dinning. ENJOY!!!:goodvibes

Make ADR's as soon as you possibly can- so for the time you are going- that would be now (or as soon as you have made some choices). With Free Dining restaraunts are going to start filling up very quickly.
We always eat at the following:

O'hana- Dinner- at the Poly Resort
Chef Mickey's- Breakfast (this year we are doing dinner)-Contemporary Resort
Le Cellier- Lunch- EPCOT (Canada)
Cape May- Dinner- Beach Club Resort
Boma- Dinner- Animal Kingdom Lodge

This year we are trying:

Crystal Palace- Breakfast- Magic Kingdome
Whispering Canyon Cafe- Dinner- Wilderness Lodge

Happy Planning:)

You're already past the 180 day mark, so you can make your ADRs anytime now. I wouldn't wait too long,if I were you. With FD the restaurants could fill quickly. You know your family better than anyone. We were a party of 7 with a few picky eaters. I was surprised, but the Restaurant Marrakesh was a favorite among everyone. Everyone found something they liked, even my DFIL who thinks exotic is ordering a salad at Big Boy. But here are some of our standard fare favorites: Crystal Palace, especially the breakfast,Tony's Town Square, my kids loved the spaghetti. 50's Prime Time Cafe & Sci Fi Dinner theater at DHS, Kona and Ohana at the Poly.

When we went to WDW the first time my son was 11. I remember being irritated with him when he wouldn't eat the tacos at San Angel at Epcot. He loves tacos, but the ones at Epcot didn't look like Taco Bell tacos. :lmao:We had to find him a hot dog to eat. Have fun planning.

There are lots of restaurants to choose from.

Booking an ADR at Crystal Palace or CRT (2TS credit) before the park opens is fun as you get great pictures in front of the castle with few people around.

Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House is really good. You can also try to book this before the park opens if you get up early.

Cape May Cafe has a character breakfast with Mickey and Minnie in their beach wear. It also has a nice buffet dinner.

'Ohana (Poly) and Le Cellier (Epcot-Canada) are two of the more popular dinners.

For princesses-CRT, Akershus or 1900 Park Fare (dinner).

As already noted above-Start booking! No need to wait till you have your resort booked.

Love everyone's info and suggestions, and took them into consideration (see below)! :cheer2: I'm almost done with the ADR's and I'm pretty satisfied. Couldn't get into Le Cellier, which I really wanted, but...

I ended up with Akershus for a princess breakfast on our Epcot day, and Cape May Cafe for a character breakfast (we're staying right at BCR), plus Cape May Cafe for a dinner (for our "hang out at the BCR" day), Tony's in the MK for lunch (couldn't get dinner), Tusker in the AK for an early dinner the day we are in AK, the 50's diner in DHS for lunch the day we are at DHS, and then maybe a few casual TS meals at Beaches & Cream or another one at CMC. I tried not to overbook us for long formal TS meals far away from the hotel, unless we happened to be in the area. I have a feeling we will be enjoying Stormalong Bay on certain days, or DS3 will be napping, and don't want to feel stressed trying to get ready, get on a bus, etc. if things aren't leaning that way.

Thanks again, everyone! Trip was booked today with the new resort discount just released for my travel dates - my TA switched to that from free dining and we saved almost $350 (with paid dining, but did the math and it's worth it for us)! Whoo-hoo...now I'm getting PSYCHED for the trip! :woohoo:

Congrats!

It looks like you were able to get almost everything that you wanted. I don't know if you got the dinning plan, but I'm under the impression that the Beaches and Cream doesn'tparticipate in the dinning plan.

Another suggestion, the Captain Grill at the Yatch club is meant to be great and bit quieter than the average restaurant if you ever need somewhere quiet to have a meal.

Thanks! Re Beaches & Cream - Disney shows it with a table service symbol next to it, but you can't make reservations. It sounds more like counter service type food, but they do have a full wait staff so I guess that's why it's TS. :)

Oh, and I'm def. looking at Captain's Grille. I'm just not sure my husband and I will do the babysitter thing, and it seems like it's more of a formal couples type place. Any thoughts?

Love everyone's infoand suggestions, and took them into consideration (see below)! :cheer2: I'm almost done with the ADR's and I'm pretty satisfied. Couldn't get into Le Cellier, which I really wanted, but...

If you want Le Cellier very badly, keep calling and checking on line. People cancel all the time and you might get lucky.

I ended up with Akershus for a princess breakfast on our Epcot day, and Cape May Cafe for a character breakfast (we're staying right at BCR), plus Cape May Cafe for a dinner (for our "hang out at the BCR" day), Tony's in the MK for lunch (couldn't get dinner), Tusker in the AK for an early dinner the day we are in AK, the 50's diner in DHS for lunch the day we are at DHS, and then maybe a few casual TS meals at Beaches & Cream or another one at CMC. I tried not to overbook us for long formal TS meals far away from the hotel, unless we happened to be in the area. I have a feeling we will be enjoying Stormalong Bay on certain days, or DS3 will be napping, and don't want to feel stressed trying to get ready, get on a bus, etc. if things aren't leaning that way.

Cape May Cafe for breakfast is one of our favorites! Everything was fresh and delicious when we were there and we had a great time interacting with the characters and since it's your first time it's great to get a brekky with the big cheese! I also really like the 50s Prime Time Cafe. It's kitschy and fun and appeals to our family. Tony's is a nice choice in MK I think but our own family always enjoyed the Crystal Palace buffet, if not for the characters then for the fact you can find veggies in the MK! Cant say much about Akershus because we've never been there but I am pretty sure you need reservations at Beaches and Cream though I think there is a to go window there too. Perhaps someone with more expertise on that one can reply.

Thanks again, everyone! Trip was booked today with the new resort discount just released for my travel dates - my TA switched to that from free dining and we saved almost $350 (with paid dining, but did the math and it's worth it for us)! Whoo-hoo...now I'm getting PSYCHED for the trip! :woohoo:

Have a wonderful time. I've always wanted to stay at the BC. Maybe next time. Wishing you a magical first visit and many more to come!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter