First Timers and NEED SERIOUS HELP!!

BEANTOWNDR7

To Infinity and Beyond
Now I know that there are probably 1000 threads about first timers and planning but I can't read all of them so of course I'll be that person that starts another one.

My family and I need some serious help, we are beginning to plan our first ever Disney cruise for March 2016; now I know it might be a bit early to start but from the forums I've seen and read, it appears that it is never too early to start the cruise planning.

To start, our plan is to do four days in the parks (we're DVC members) then do a dour day cruise to the Bahamas and Castaway Cay. I know a lot of people say that after the cruise just head home but we plan on going back to WDW to actual relax for a day and a half before heading home.

The questions I have are where do we begin (book thru DCL, a TA or other); what is included with the purchase of a trip (food, activities, etc.) while onboard; what type of room to get for a family of 5 and what are we to expect with a cruise?

I can honestly say we've been to WDW and DL over 10 times so planning is easy and we know what we are expecting but this trip is freaking us out because we don't know what to expect - any assistance from you all out there will be greatly appreciated

Got some answers for you! Congrats! As DVC you know the value of a Disney vacation...now you get to sample the highlights of cruising! Our family loves it! We went into it as if we'd be 'cheating' on our WDW memories by jumping to cruising, but just one cruise and we abandoned WDW to do only cruises the next 2 family trips...don't worry, we went back to WDW last year, but now we're going back to the cruise...just something wonderful about cruising that makes it fun for our family!

We are a family of five. The options are different depending on the ship...I'm assuming you'll be on the Dream so I'll go with that one first.
Our family loved the Oceanview room that fits five...several fivers prefer to book two inside or oceanview rooms and get adjoining for the space. Our family loved the ability to all be in one room at night (you're rarely in the room during the day) because we used that time to share all the memories and plan the next day together...you can also fit five into a verandah, more expensive but you get your own verandah! I will say that our family will never pay for a verandah (did last time to take advantage of VGT..discounted rates that pop up after the paid in full date-75 days- on select non-full cruises..less likely to pop up on high travel dates, but not unheard of)..we honestly never used our verandah! There are plenty of viewing spots from the top of the ship and other areas, that we really don't need our own..but others may prefer it.

All your food is free except..special dining in Palo or similar restaurant..must make reservations and usually is $20-40 pp for those. It's worth it one time, but we like eating with our kids and prefer not to avoid them and enjoy the family time and fun servers...you keep the same servers each night, they rotate with you, so if you get a great pair, they can make it a hoot! Coffee is free at drink stations but you can get a better cup for a price at the Coffee shop on board. Frozen drinks are extra usually with souvenir cups, alcohol is extra...room service is free (and do use it, fun!) but always tip something, little known and might not be on menu is the Mickey bars for the kids..my kids got into the habit of ordering them every night :) We bring about a roll of $30 in ones to let the kids tip if they order room service and we're out...

Read all the threads about top five tips and stuff..you'll find a lot there :) Good luck and have fun planning, I usually book directly with Disney, but sometimes will switch to TA for the on board credit, some will offer a couple hundred or close based on your price range for the cruise. We use the on board credit to help pay our gratuities, those are not included in the price...recommended about $12 pp per day so with five on a four day, about $250? You pay at the end of your cruise in envelopes provided..you tip your room attendant and the servers..others will tip the head dining room attendant about $20 or so..it's all listed what is recommended...

Hope this helps!

It has, THANKS! If anyone else has additional info, please feel free to direct message me - all the help I can get, the better?!

I know some people recommend that you ask for early dining if you have young children but I would actually suggest the opposite. Younger kids often generally don't care as much about how fancy the food is, but they'll love the shows. If you get late dining there is a better chance they will be awake for the shows and then if they nod off at dinner or if you chose to grab them room service or counter service food (both included) before the show you can still do that.

I would also recommend looking into finding a Fish Extender Exchange group - great for kids (although I went with my sister (12 at the time) and grandmother and we all had a great time too.

This is sort of an odd tip, but one of the things I did for our second cruise was pack a container. My grandmother has a tendency to snack at night and she loved the chocolate chip cookies at the Beach Blanket Buffet. We'd grab a few and take them back to the suite for her to snack on later so I wouldn't have to get up and help her find food (she has limited mobility and English skills).
I would also highly recommend bringing water bottles. You can fill up cups on deck and pour them into bottles to carry around.

If you are into pin trading, it is just as big a deal on the ships as in the parks.

There may be a formal and a semi-formal night (not sure about the 4-day cruises). Mickey and the gang dress up accordingly.

If you're really big Disney buffs, I would recommend trying your hand at trivia as you can get some DCL-exclusive prizes.

Make sure you bring a highlighter or something to make notes on your daily navigator - you don't want to miss a favourite character or game!

Last but not least, relax and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter