First trip in 10 years (and 1st time solo)

Adam W

Earning My Ears
OK..... Here goes nothing,

I have been lurking on this board ever since i first typed "can i do Disney on my own" into google (probably over a year ago) and am now far enough along with my trip that I though it best to ask my questions here.

But first a little background (cue the reminiscing harp music).
My first trip to WDW was back in 1996 with my parents at the age of 15 as the eldest of three brothers and was also my first long haul holiday... and I loved it. Since that first trip I have returned with my family on two further occasions (1998 & 2000) and then with work friends as a group (2002, 2004 and 2007).

If my life had remained as it was back then, I probably would have kept up the once every 2 years or so trips but a change of job and a move to a new city meant loosing the trip companions I had and my girlfriend at the time was an avid skier (which now am I) and just didn't 'get' Disney (in hindsight I should have known it wouldn't work out).

Which brings me to the present day where I find myself (on the downside) single, yet (on the upside) financially in the position to have both my winter ski trip and, more importantly, my first trip to WDW in a decade.

I will admit to a bit of trepidation booking a trip to WDW as a 36 year old single man, however once I decided to do it i'm going all in. I have booked a trip from October 7th to the 19th. In the past I have always booked 2 week long trips but found that buy dropping 2 days I saved a fair amount of money and managed to get a later flight on the last day so all in I will get 12 full days and when I have booked before with family or friends I have had to factor in other trips (shopping days, beach days, space centre etc) which hold no interest for me so i'm hoping to get around everything in the time I have.

So help me out, after being away for a decade what new tips & tricks are there? Where's best to eat (big foodie)? and if anyone is about during my trip feel free to invite yourself along to keep me from getting too lonely.

Good things so far:
All booked - trip and tickets (I have 14 day 'hopper' tickets for Disney, Universal and Busch gardens parks)

Issues so far:
Looks like the ride that holds most memories for me (Splash mountain) is closed during my visit.

My questions so far:
Is MNSSHP worth doing as a single bloke?
I have good memories of eating at HoB but have been unable to get a reservation at any time, is it really booked up that far in advance?
Is BOG really worth it as I can only get reservations for lunch?

Adam.

Congrats on taking the solo plunge. It's a big step. Bog is definitely worth it at lunch. The theming inside the castle is outstanding. Since you said you were a foodie, you picked a good time to go during food and wine. How you considered doing one of the food/wine classes? There is a wide variety from high end dinners to low costing seminars.

Instead of Mickey's not so scary, what about Universal's Halloween Horror nights instead? It probably geared more for an adult crowd.

Does Busch Gardens tic have an expiration date? Is there something about that park you love and want to see on this trip specifically?

If not, you may want to consider tabling that one for a future trip. With so much at the 4 WDW parks + 2 Uni parks to enjoy, not to mention Disney Springs and other attractions, you may not have that much time or inclination left over to drive the 2 hrs+ round trip over to Tampa and devote a full day or more there.

I've never been to BG, so I'll leave that to others, in terms of whether it's worth carving out the time.

There are tons of solo travelers to Disney, so no need to feel any trepidation. I felt some the first time I went solo also, but it quickly faded. I liked doing periscope during my last trip, unfortunately my phone was ancient and I couldn't keep it up, but you can do a quick broadcast now and then and chat with people. :) The best thing about going solo is doing exactly what you want and not worrying about making other people happy.

I've only had BOG for lunch, and I enjoyed it both times. I don't think I'd even make a dinner reservation if I could. Make sure you get the grey stuff. Even though it's quick service for lunch, it feels like table service, since they find you and bring you your food. There are tons of new restaurants in Disney Springs that you may want to try. I only went to the Boathouse.. it was very good.

Probably the biggest change since you were last there is FP+ and magic bands, so check out this FAQ.

A lot has changed at the parks in the last 10 years.

Make sure you download the disney my experience app on your phone. Get acquainted with it before you go -- as you'll be using it a lot while you're there. make sure to bring a portable USB charger for your phone as all the usage can drain your battery.

Presumably you know that you have to make all your fastpass selections 60 days in advance? (assuming you're staying on property) If off property--you can make selections at 30 days out.

The new avatar ride flights of passage (FoP) is the newest ride at WDW, so it is going to be vital that you book your FP+ for it as soon as you can. Hardest rides to get FP+ for are FoP, 7 dwarfs mine train, frozen ride in epcot, and soarin' (updated movie). Toy story mania can be difficult too. Make sure to read that FAQ from the previous poster.

As someone else said, definitely keep your BOG lunch reservation -- the theming is absolutely amazing. As far as the rest of your meals -- definitely plan on eating at the food & wine festival in Epcot. It's a lot of fun and there is a lot of variety. I personally recommend hitting up the filet and cheese soup at Canada's pavilion. So good.

Don't worry about being by yourself. No one will even notice you (assuming you're not being creepy guy in the bushes hahaha). I know when I'm there with my kids, I'm too busy making sure they don't kill themselves to even notice other people. Especially at dinner. They somehow always seem to find the knife even after it's been taken away and put out of reach.

In addition to Splash -- be prepared for no more electrical parade at night. Hollywood studios is also a shell of its former self, with about half the park being closed for the star wars land and toy story land.

Are you staying on or off property?

I'm about the same age as you (37) and have been going to the parks solo for a few years now, and if you have good memories of the parks in the past, you'll likely have a great time this time as well. To answer a few of your specific questions:

- Is MNSSHP worth doing as a single bloke?
I've never done this party specifically, but I've done the Christmas party solo, and it was definitely worth my time and money. The park is less crowded, and so many people are in lines for the unique character meet-ups that the lines for most rides are pretty short. Plus the extra treats they have are always nice.

- I have good memories of eating at HoB but have been unable to get a reservation at any time, is it really booked up that far in advance?
I've found that a lot of the Disney Springs restaurants don't fill up entirely on reservations, so you might be able to get a walk-up table that day (with a wait, obviously). It's also possible more reservation times might open up, so keep checking back or sign up with Touring Plans and use their reservation finder.

- Is BOG really worth it as I can only get reservations for lunch?
Definitely. The food generally rates as just "okay", but the theming inside the restaurant is among the best at all of WDW.

Most importantly: have fun! And don't be afraid to ask questions in the lead up to your trip. I've found there are lots of friendly, helpful people on this board who'll put your mind at ease the entire time.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it is appreciated.
I will try to answer all the 'have you thought about' and 'you may want to' questions and suggestions as I go.

Bog is definitely worth it at lunch. The theming inside the castle is outstanding. Have you considered doing one of the food/wine classes? There is a wide variety from high end dinners to low costing seminars.

Instead of Mickey's not so scary, what about Universal's Halloween Horror nights instead? It probably geared more for an adult crowd.

Hi Skippyboo, thanks for the BoG comment, I will indeed keep my reservation for lunch although I have the opportunity to get a dinner reservation but only during MNSSHP and am not sure if it would be worth switching as it's a bit tight to make it back in time for the fireworks.

I have already planned on doing the Universal Halloween Horror nights but was wondering if MNSSHP was also worth the money for the extra time in the park as well as the extra shows and fireworks.

I always seem to arrive during food and wine but never had the opportunity to pay it much attention (dragging family or friends around) but this year I intend to change that, however I don't think I have the time in my hectic schedule for any classes (nice suggestion though).

Does Busch Gardens tic have an expiration date? Is there something about that park you love and want to see on this trip specifically?

Hi Shh,
to answer your question I (once again) have to go into reminiscing mode (cue the harp music)......
Both Busch gardens and Seaworld were a part of my first trip to Orlando and became a staple of our family visits, however when visiting with friends Busch gardens was always the park that made way for a 'shopping' day or a 'day off at the pool' day and for the last 2 trips (2004 & 2007) was with friends who gave up Seaworld for dolphin cove, which to be honest holds no excitement for me and therefore it has been 17 years since i visited either park and wanted to see how they have changed.

My tickets for Disney, Universal and the Seaworld/Busch parks are all 14 day hopper style passes with all the non Disney passes valid until the end of 2017.
Since I'm traveling from the UK I won't get another trip in before they run out.

Probably the biggest change since you were last there is FP+ and magic bands, so check out this FAQ.

Hi Clare, the magic band system seems (particularly for a nerd like me) like a great system and I will definitely be logging in the moment I am able to set up my Fast Passes.

A lot has changed at the parks in the last 10 years.

Make sure you download the disney my experience app on your phone.

Presumably you know that you have to make all your fastpass selections 60 days in advance?

As someone else said, definitely keep your BOG lunch reservation -- the theming is absolutely amazing. As far as the rest of your meals -- definitely plan on eating at the food & wine festival in Epcot. It's a lot of fun and there is a lot of variety. I personally recommend hitting up the filet and cheese soup at Canada's pavilion. So good.

Don't worry about being by yourself. No one will even notice you (assuming you're not being creepy guy in the bushes hahaha).

Are you staying on or off property?

Hi mustinjourney, I have downloaded the apps (both Disney and all the other parks) and have been busy planning and setting up dining reservations.
I will certainly be ready in thirty days from now to set my Fastpasses (60 days out), I have even checked the exact time (including the international time difference) they go live.
As with your and it seems everyone else's recommendation I will be keeping my BoG reservation and plan on spending a whole day filling myself at the food and wine festival.
and don't worry about me being the creepy guy in the bushes, instead i'll be the guy with the "I'm here on my own, feel free to say hi" T-shirt.
Oh and I'm definitely staying on property (only made the mistake of staying off property once).

- Is MNSSHP worth doing as a single bloke?
I've done the Christmas party solo, and it was definitely worth my time and money. The park is less crowded, and so many people are in lines for the unique character meet-ups that the lines for most rides are pretty short. Plus the extra treats they have are always nice.

- I have good memories of eating at HoB but have been unable to get a reservation at any time, is it really booked up that far in advance?
I've found that a lot of the Disney Springs restaurants don't fill up entirely on reservations, so you might be able to get a walk-up table that day (with a wait, obviously).

Most importantly: have fun! And don't be afraid to ask questions in the lead up to your trip. I've found there are lots of friendly, helpful people on this board who'll put your mind at ease the entire time.

Hi adamreisinger, I agree treats are always a good thing. I have booked to do MNSSHP so we'll see how it goes.
I have managed to figure out that HoB only opens reservations 14 days in advance so I will pounce on that one as soon as it is available.

I'm personally not a huge fan of BOG - I just didn't think the food was very good for the price. I liked Prime Time because the bar is full service, so you're not sitting alone at a table to eat. It's so much fun to do the parks alone! Definitely look up the new fastpass system, because that'll help you use your time wisely. I change mine around constantly. Not too many single rider lines, but still use them. The app is also nice because you can find stuff going on around you quickly. I'm going during the same time and I'm also so bummed that Splash is closed! It's only my second solo trip but I can't wait. I think the main downside is you'll be doing food & wine alone! It's always fun to do that in a group so you can try more food. I brought my kindle on my first trip so I had something to do in long lines, so that's something to consider if the people around you in line aren't talkative.

Solo trips are fun! I did my first this year and I’m a few years older than you. Felt totally comfortable.

Consider the Express Transportation if you want to switch parks throughout the day. They pick you up and drop you off at backstage entrances and you only go through security the first time. It’s a nice break mid-day, as the buses are not very crowded.

You may have luck with BoG reservations the night before if you bang on the app a bit. I was able to grab an 8am breakfast the night before in mid-January. (It’s a great way to hop into the Mine Train line before the park officially opens.)

Where are you staying?

Oh! And as far as Magic Kingdom food goes, SkipperCanteen is new and if you like the kind of stuff on the menu, a lot of fun.

Congrats on your solo venture and welcome to the club. You may find you like it better than traveling with others! Yes, a lot of has changed in 10 years and it sounds like you are on top of it. Read the fast pass plus tips, book your fast passes ahead, even though you are solo as well as dining ressies. My first solo trip I made the mistake of thinking that a single person could easily walk into any restaurant and get a table...not so much...also you may want to decide if you are a sit at a table person, a sit at the bar person or all counter service, everyone has their preference. I like my own table and at least one sit down meal per day. Great that you will be there during food and wine! That is an awesome time to visit...not only is there great food, but also great people watching! Places I like to dine esp as a solo...Epcot- Coral Reef, love the tank and the mahi...San Angel Inn...looking at a volcano and getting blinded as people take your pic from the Rio Del Tiempo...Chefs De France- for the food and have enjoyed chatting with folks at the next table esp when the waiter was awful....le Cellier...another one for the food...MK-BOG- agree the food is only ok. But the castle is amazing. Try for dinner if you want to meet the Beast. He puts on a good show...Crystal Palace for Breakfast. Otherwise counterservice in MK- Columbia Harbour House and my group people love Casey's. DHS- Brown Derby or Mama Melrose. Sci Fi is ok. I prob need to try it again- the food was mediocre last time I was there but it has been over 5 years. The movie clips are fun. AK- I am dying to try Tiffins, but Yak and Yeti is my go to for sit down. I like restaruantasaurus for counter- the theming is incredible, try to find the trailer to sit in...I am not one who visits the resorts for restaurants, prefer to maximize park time. The best part of a solo vacay at Disney is it is all your decision and you get to decide what/when/where. Have a blast!

I went alone last year and did MNSSHP and loved it! The shows they have going on were very good, I even loved the parade (I'm not a parade person). Also trick-or-treating! Plus most of the rides have very minimal wait times. I'm actually very sad to not be going this year.

I think going alone is great because you can structure your trip however you please. I think are able to experience more, but be relaxed at the same time. I was very nervous, but it was honestly the best trip I ever had. You're going to have a great time!

I did an in between solo and family trip. I took my 18 year old granddaughter and her boyfriend. I spend all day alone but we ate together at night. Then we did a few rides together in the evening. I was perfectly fine all day, loved my own schedule. I don't enjoy eating alone but while I was there I spent time asking myself...Could I do Disney Alone? I came to the conclusion that I could. I went for a morning swim every day and chatted with another lady who liked to swim early. Then I was off to do my Fast Passes...those have changed since you went last...better read that thread. And yes, the express transportation, which is new sounds great. $ 29 for five days and brings you from inside one park to inside another park. You only have to go through security one time when you first enter the parks. No matter what you will have a great time and learn something about yourself. Play sorcerers of the magic kingdom...lots of fun and you will meet and chat with other folks playing along the way...interesting conversations happen. Have a Blast!

I'm personally not a huge fan of BOG - I just didn't think the food was very good for the price. I liked Prime Time because the bar is full service, so you're not sitting alone at a table to eat. It's so much fun to do the parks alone! Definitely look up the new fastpass system, because that'll help you use your time wisely. I change mine around constantly. Not too many single rider lines, but still use them. The app is also nice because you can find stuff going on around you quickly. I'm going during the same time and I'm also so bummed that Splash is closed! It's only my second solo trip but I can't wait. I think the main downside is you'll be doing food & wine alone! It's always fun to do that in a group so you can try more food. I brought my kindle on my first trip so I had something to do in long lines, so that's something to consider if the people around you in line aren't talkative.

Hi MusicalAstronaut,
BOG certainly does seem to be generating varying views. I certainly will be sorting my fast passes at the earliest opportunity. Don't worry about me doing food and wine on my own, I have been in training for this all my life and will certainly be returning home a great deal heavier than when I arrived.

Consider the Express Transportation if you want to switch parks throughout the day. They pick you up and drop you off at backstage entrances and you only go through security the first time. It’s a nice break mid-day, as the buses are not very crowded.

Where are you staying?

Hi rstevens333,
I will take a look at the express transportation for the days I'm park hopping.
I'm staying at all star music, basically I have so much to do i'll only be using it for sleep and have stayed there before back in my student days.

My first solo trip I made the mistake of thinking that a single person could easily walk into any restaurant and get a table...not so much...also you may want to decide if you are a sit at a table person, a sit at the bar person or all counter service, everyone has their preference. Places I like to dine esp as a solo...Epcot- Coral Reef, love the tank and the mahi...San Angel Inn...looking at a volcano and getting blinded as people take your pic from the Rio Del Tiempo...Chefs De France- for the food and have enjoyed chatting with folks at the next table esp when the waiter was awful....le Cellier...another one for the food...MK-BOG- agree the food is only ok. But the castle is amazing. The best part of a solo vacay at Disney is it is all your decision and you get to decide what/when/where. Have a blast!

Hi daae3,
I have taken onboard your advice and have booked the majority of my dining and will take a look at some of your suggestions.

I went alone last year and did MNSSHP and loved it! The shows they have going on were very good, I even loved the parade (I'm not a parade person). Also trick-or-treating! Plus most of the rides have very minimal wait times.

hi Belle2006beauty, I have booked MNSSHP during my trip so hopefully i will enjoy it as much as you did.

Play sorcerers of the magic kingdom...lots of fun and you will meet and chat with other folks playing along the way...interesting conversations happen. Have a Blast!

Hi ThistleMae, I will ensure that I check this out.

ok, so I have had my first go at a plan for my trip, let me know if I have made any major errors or left anything out:

Day 1, fly into Orlando at 5pm, check in, dinner reservation at Raglan Road (disney springs).
Day 2, Rope drop DHS for RnR and ToT, rest of day at TL, no dining booked yet, evening Rivers of light at AK
Day 3, day at Busch Gardens
Day 4, day at IoA, evening at epcot
Day 5, Full day at MK (lunch at BOG)
Day 6, day at Seaworld, evening at epcot (dinner at Le Cellier)
Day 7 day at USF & Halloween horror nights (friday 13th)
Day 8 day at BB, dinner at Brown Derby, evening - fantasmic
Day 9 day at DHS, evening at MNSSHP
Day 10 day at AK, evening at DHS for starwars
Day 11 All day at EPCOT
Day 12 Volcano bay and universal mop up.
Day 13 Disney mop up and 8pm flight home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!