FIRST trip to Disney -do I do universal studios...

frankiemom

DIS Veteran
We are taking our FIRST trip to Disney with our 4 year old son. I know I will prob. want to spend 2 days at Magic Kingdom and a day and each of the other Disney parks. Should I try to get Universal in? Or am I biting off more then I can chew? If we do go to Universal I know I won't be able to do it for 2 days so which "park" at Universal would I choose with a 4 year old? Or do I bag Universal for next time which prbably won't be for a while! Thanks!:confused:

WDW is pretty overwhelming the first time. Be sure to plan enough "down" time for your 4 yr old. I LOVE the Universal Parks but I'd say save it for next time.

I think more info on your trip would help with more responses. How long is your vacation? If just one week, you will have more than enough to do at WDW. What time of year? Longer park hours mean more down time needed between long days at the parks. On site or off? Save time to enjoy the resort if you're at one. Your budget? Only you can decide.

Last June was my first trip ever to Wdw. We stayed for 6 nights and I thought I would have time for Universal. But after 3 days at MK, and 1 each at MGM, AK, and Epcot there was no time for USF or IOA. At the time I was disappointed, because I figured I would not back for a while. But I think missing out gave me the incentive to start saving for another trip, this July. By the way, I am staying 8 nights, 4 each at WDW and Universal, with DH and DS 6.

Much as I hate to admit it...but, especially with a 4 year old, f this is your FIRST time to WDW, then you probably would be way better off just sticking with Disney this time around...

You can go to WDW for many days and still not see everything if it's your first time, and with a 4 year old, you have GOT to go at a slower pace and take time to enjoy it! I know that even when I was a WDW veteran, I could spend 10 days there and still not see everything I wanted to see...

Next time, take a couple of days and spend them solely at Universal...staying at one of their resorts, if possible!

You guys are going to have a GREAT time, I'm sure!!!

Karen

If the kid is 4 and you've never been there before, stick with Disney for now.

Or leave the kid with a babysitter and goto Universal yourself!!!

-Jon

In looking at the attractions at US and IOA, there is a lot to do for a 4 yo, but Disney has more things that you can do together (the dark rides, Fantasyland, etc).

Since you won't be back for awhile, and it sounds like you have no more than a week, you should probably stick with WDW.

When you do go back, you will have an opinion of WDW so you will have an idea of how much time you want to spend there. Universal may have more to offer for your family when your son is older.

Thanks for all your replies. I think this time around we will not do Universal. I want to really enjoy the other parks and not feel rushed plus I want to spend some time at the pool and resort (1 afternoon). Not going to Universal will give me an excuse to come back soon!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter