First trip to Hawaii

KarBol

Earning My Ears
Hi all. Super excited for our first trip to Hawaii. We are a family of 7 with 5 adult children traveling with 2 bf's and meeting my sister and BIL there so 11 of us total. We're traveling from the East coast. We are staying in Waikiki for 3 nights, a family friend is getting married there, and then spending 5 days at Aulani. I've been doing my research and reading all the advise and recommendations on the boards. Here's what we have planned:

2 rental cars for the week
Pearl Harbor...tickets already secured
Diamond Head
Hanauma Bay
North Shore exploring
Paradise Cove Luau
Nut Farm
9 holes of golf

Is it easy to rent snorkel equipment nearby for the week or by the day?

Not looking to eat out every night....way to expensive and the alcohol bill will kill us. So any suggestions on itinerary and good affordable food stops other then the food trucks would be appreciated.

Any suggestions on what to pack other then the ordinary?

We're staying in a 2 br and a studio...not oceanview...garden view. Is it to late to make room requests?

Covid tests today for all of us and we depart Fri. morning! Thank you all for your input!

Last edited:
Don't know if you are interested in eating in room, but I've significantly reduced alcohol and food bills by having a grocery stop (or delivery). This is also a time saver for me. Breakfast is an easy meal to have in room, as is a pre-dinner drink or a nightcap.

Although I haven't been to Hawaii since the start of the pandemic, before that, renting snorkel equipment was easily available on Waikiki Beach.

Diamond Head is a great early-morning adventure for a little exercise and perfect photo op.

There is a Costco the exit before the Ko Olina exit so you can load up on breakfast items, alcohol, and other things. There is also a Target there as well as a Foodland at that exit.

If you can, add a visit to Punchbowl National Cemetery.

Hit Diamond Head as early as you possibly can. We like to go the first day we're in Oahu because our bodies are still on Mountain time, therefore it's easier to get up early.

Besides exploring the North Shore, you may want to consider doing the same on the Windward side of the island. We loved that drive, stopping at beaches, hiking the Makapu’u Point Lighthouse trail, food truck/farm stands, nut farm, etc. That exploration was my favorite part of the trip.
While in Waikiki, if reopened, the Japan Village Walk in the Ala Moana Center is an experience and inexpensive for dinner.

any suggestions on itinerary and good affordable food stops other then the food trucks would be appreciated.
Anna Miller's is a diner type of place near Pearl Harbor. John & Kevin from the DIS Unplugged recommended it and we stopped for lunch during our trip and it was our cheapest meal of the whole trip - less than $20 for two of us. And they are known for pies.

In Waikiki, we ate a cheap lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express in the Aston hotel. Its quick service, but its the same as the Wolfgang Puck Express that used to be in Disney Springs. We also enjoyed Duke's and Cheeseburger in Paradise - both bar type food (Duke's on the patio), so its easier to keep costs down.

In the North Shore we LOVED Kono's. Also a quick service place but the pork bomber was one of the best things we ate. They just have 2 or 3 picnic tables outside, but you could always get it to go and stop at the beach or sit on the grass somewhere. Its also walking distance to Matsumoto's for shave ice afterwards!

We ate most of our meals out, but did stop at Target in Kapolei on our way to Aulani. Its the exit before. As mentioned, there's also a Costco, Safeway and Walmart in the same vicinity, as well as chain restaurants you'd recognize from home - that's another option to eat out inexpensively. But during our grocery stop, we got drinks, alcohol, and items for quick and easy breakfasts and lunches in the room (lunch meats, cereal, bagels, etc). You will have a full kitchen so you'll have more options for eating in the room. We also got Pizza Corner one night across the street from Aulani which gave us enough leftover for lunch the next day.

Lastly, a lot of people like to grill at Aulani and make an evening at the resort out of it. Might be fun for your group. I think they still open at 4pm and I'm not sure whether you can get utensils there or need to bring your own. There's also only a couple so you may have to wait. You didn't have Kualoa Ranch on your list but if you happen to go there, or are in the area and can stop by, they sell meats there from animals raised right on the ranch. You can buy it raw to grill. We had it cooked at the ranch and it was amazing.

Any suggestions on what to pack other then the ordinary?
You will have access to a washer and dryer in your room so take advantage of that and don't overpack. We had to use the communal washer/dryer because we stayed in a studio, so we brought Tide pods and dryer sheets. I'm not sure whether its provided in a 2BR, but I believe they also sell it in a dispenser in the laundry rooms. Just found it easier to travel with it, and the dryer sheets made everything in my luggage smell good! We traveled in late September and I didn't wear pants once the whole trip - just leggings, shorts, or dresses. I brought jeans, never wanted to put them on. Same with hoodies/sweaters. Have one, but don't bring more than that. The temperature was pretty consistent around the clock and I only used a sweater maybe once on a particularly windy evening. I was also surprised at how casual a lot of places are. Unless you plan to do fine dining somewhere, my leggings and shorts and DH's shorts were fine for every place we went.

Cheeseburger in Paradise is a must for us every trip, both on Oahu and Maui. If you can't get into Dukes, go upstairs to the Hula Grill. It's cheaper and the food was really good.

We didn't do Kono's this time, but tried Kua Aina Sandwich Shop in Haleiwa and the burgers were really good.

Now I want to go back again just for the food!

Anna Miller's is a diner type of place near Pearl Harbor. John & Kevin from the DIS Unplugged recommended it and we stopped for lunch during our trip and it was our cheapest meal of the whole trip - less than $20 for two of us. And they are known for pies.
I'll second this recommendation. Not a very "Hawaiian" kind of place. Just good solid, inexpensive food. I'm not sure it has reopened yet though.

You’ve got enough recommendations here to take up all your days LOL Butctake some time to explore the Aulani grounds too, inside and out, day and night. Lots of interesting and fun things to see. We loved floating the lazy river and finding the hidden critters. I also recommend getting to Paradise Cove early because there are so many fun activities, even a canoe ride.

As for what to pack, I’d say some Hydroflasksvor other good water bottles—you’ll need them for exploring. And I like a roll of shop towels ( heavy paper towels) for cleaning off feet (or whatever!) before getting in my rental car after the beach or hiking or whatever.

I'd highly recommend a visit to the dole plantation.
I'd also recommend Leonards bakery. Their malasadas are awesome!

I'd also recommend Leonards bakery. Their malasadas are awesome!
Love their malasadas! They also make a sweet bread (I forget what they call it) that is really good with morning coffee.

If you’re interested, we did zip lining at Climbworks Keana Farms at it was the highlight of the trip for me!

Just making sure you know reservations are needed for Hanauma Bay reservations can be made 2 days in advance starting at 7 AM Hawaii Standard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter