First trip without kids!!! Suggestions?

MizSassy

Earning My Ears
Hi all! My husband and I are arriving in Disney on the 10th for a week long vacation with NO KIDS! This is our first ever Disney trip together without kids! Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to make the most of our vacation? Anything that we should do that we would have never thought of with kids? I already plan on drinking my way around Epcot! Thanks in advance!

Here is what we learned on our first solo trip without kids or grandkids (2013) Slow down and finally look at the parks. Take your time, there is no hurry because you don't have the kids pulling on your arm. Don't be afraid to walk into the gift shops, there are no kids begging you to buy something. Don't wait in line for a ride. If the lines are more than 15-30 minutes we just keep walking. We've been on them all, multiple times. Most off all, like I said earlier, just slow down and really look around. It wasn't until we were alone that we could finally appreciate the parks, the architecture, the beauty, the magic. Take the time when watching a parade to watch the other little children as their faces light up when a favorite character goes by. I have always said that WDW was built for us adults. Now is the time for you to find out for yourself.

My husband just agreed to an adults only trip in late April and I'm so excited! We will only do one park day, most likely at Epcot, and focus on World Showcase, food, drink. Will be Flower and Garden at that time. We will also explore Disney Springs - the newer restaurants and bars. Maybe even experience Orlando a bit more - go off the beaten path (if there is such a thing). We will be staying at Dolphin which is where we will be with the family in November, so also maybe do some research for that trip. We have never been to HS, so maybe trying out the boat there and walk back to see what might work better for us. And.............sit by the pool - maybe even fall asleep if we want to! Have a great time and report back with tips!

Adult dining experiences where chicken nuggets are not on the menu. :joker: But seriously, have at last 1 meal that you wouldn't be able to experience with the kids.

I also agree with taking it slow - sleep in, shop, dine - have a few cocktails and have a good time!

My hubby and I took our first “no kids” trip in Oct ‘16. We had the best time (even with the appearance of Hurricane Matthew)!! We tried all the restaurants that our children would not enjoy, our favorites were California Grill and Citricos. The trip was so much more laid back than our previous trip with the kiddos. We wandered at our leisure through all the parks, took time to notice all the little details you don’t see when you are rushing from ride to ride, got a cup of coffee or an adult beverage and found a seat to people watch. You will have a fabulous time! Enjoy!

My wife as I spent a weekend at WDW without kids, took a few hours to get used to not looking for one of them and remembering where the stroller was parked but eventually we got used to it. Great time and can’t want to do it again.

Some of the the things we did:

Nice dinner
Lots of hand holding
Dessert party for HEA
Whole day in Epcot and spent most of day in world showcase
Plenty of pics with memory maker

Hi all! My husband and I are arriving in Disney on the 10th for a week long vacation with NO KIDS! This is our first ever Disney trip together without kids! Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to make the most of our vacation? Anything that we should do that we would have never thought of with kids? I already plan on drinking my way around Epcot! Thanks in advance!
trattoria al forno was a pretty romantic dinner we had when we were there. Its on the Boardwalk.

Thank you all so much! I am already looking at changing one of our dining reservations! I just made reservations like normal not even thinking to do something special!

-Explore the monorail resorts!(drink around the monorail....) We usually do this on our MK day post parade, as its when crowds are the worst and things to do are limited. Contemporary we usually wait till the California Grill lounge is open, you can get in without a resso & have a drink and they have amazing views, we've also done this post the 4pm Hoop Dee Doo and managed to watch the fireworks from up here!
-Grand Floridian is gorgeous, lovely to sit on the couches and listen to the band/piano while enjoying a nice glass of wine or two.
-Trader Sam's at the Poly, inside is awesome, neat experience, but we like to sit on the terrace and watch the fireworks from there!
-Bonus points for a boat ride over to Wilderness Lodge, but also especially with all the Xmas decorations all of these would be a great idea!
-Hoop Dee Doo, though fun for the whole family, you can indulge in a few more glasses of sangria with no kids around!
-Not sure when exactly it really "starts" but Fort Wilderness you can tour around on a golf cart (or walk...) through and see all the campsites decorated for Xmas!

-Take some time to explore the Boardwalk area & resorts, maybe end off at Jellyrolls for a fun filled evening!
-Ragland Road is a great option for dinner/a snack/beer flight, live music, dancers, it's a great time
-Cirque (?) It's been while, so pardon if that's already closed!!
-Yeehaw Bob at Port Orlean's Riverside, a great & hilarious show!(no charge, just in their little lounge area)
-AKL is always worth a visit, esp for Xmas, and to see the animals, maybe make a resso here for dinner, Jiko, Sanaa, and Boma are all great! Even their QS is delicious!!
-Massage/spa treatment, both at the Gflo & Yacht Club!

Are you on the dining plan or paying OOP? One of the great perks of an adult trip is stopping in the various lounges for a light bite and a drink, but they aren't on the DDP. For my upcoming trip we're having brunch at California Grill but are stopping in at the lounges, instead of a bunch of dinner ADRs.

One of the nicest things is that you can stop and watch the entertainment when it pops up. Kids aren't always interested in that or just want to get to the next ride. The entertainment and conversations with CMs, and other guests, are moments that are worth the pause.

I agree completely with the PP who said to "slow down!" DH and I go without kids most of the time (except when we take our DGDs). We've been known to buy a large popcorn and sit for up to 2 hours just people-watching. Or sitting in the rocking chairs at AKV, watching giraffes. Or standing at an exhibit at Panjani Forest Trail or Maharaja Jungle Trek, watching the animals and how they behave. Our favorite people-watching spot is in front of Rose and Crown, before 11:00, watching the people who came in the IG trying to rush to Future World and watching the International CMs coming to work. Accompany the people watching with something from the bakery in France makes it even more enjoyable!

We stayed a few days longer than the kids/grandkids on one trip about 8 years ago. WOW! That few days opened our eyes to a whole new world! LOL
We absolutely love going just the 2 of us and have been doing so yearly for several years now. Don't get me wrong, we love when the family can come at the same time and love being with them. But there is something special about going to WDW as adults. As others have said, we now have the time to leisurely stroll around the resorts or parks, looking at the architecture and special effects that Disney does so well. For example, I had never stopped on Main St to look at the decorated store windows. I do now and it's great! We try different places to eat, ride our favorite attractions, talk with people and CM's, and have even been know to go back early to our resort, stop at the resort store and load up on popcorn, chocolates, Pop, and put on a movie or good show and eat and relax.
It is so freeing to go alone as adults. You will love it.
PS: We have no "guilt" leaving the kids behind, as our kids have kids of their own and are older :)

How did you manage a vacation without kids? I once asked my 17 year old if I could go without her, Her response was a simple No, No you can't.

Your daughter will not live with you forever, hopefully :) When she is in college or working full time, that's when your time will come. And then come the grandkids to start all over again.

How did you manage a vacation without kids? I once asked my 17 year old if I could go without her, Her response was a simple No, No you can't.

Lol!!! Our kids, who are 16 & 13, told us that too! We told them -Sorry but we are both turning 50 and celebrating 26 years of marriage! See you when we get back! We promised we would all go next year and of course we brought them lots of presents!! We were lucky that my sister was able to stay with them while we vacationed. I felt guilty during the flight but as soon as we got on the Magical Express that went out the window!

Your daughter will not live with you forever, hopefully :) When she is in college or working full time, that's when your time will come. And then come the grandkids to start all over again.
She is going to college to be an engineer and her dream job is Disney. She told me when I retire and move near WDW not to get a one bedroom codi, get s 3 bedroom townhouse. I have figured out her long term plans.

My suggestion is to do what YOU want to do. Eat where YOU want to eat. Tour the way YOU want to tour. I had a wonderful solo trip last month. I had nine full days in the parks with some time on arrival and departure day. I had eight ADRs, some for favorites, some for new places. I toured as commando as you can get. I had a theme for touring for each day. I had a wonderful time. Most of the people here would not have wanted to be with me at least SOME of the time on my trip, but I did what I wanted to. You are obviously used to compromising and accommodating your children's desires. Do what you want, whether it is what you "should" want or not. Have a fabulous time.

Reactions: kab
Lol!!! Our kids, who are 16 & 13, told us that too! We told them -Sorry but we are both turning 50 and celebrating 26 years of marriage! See you when we get back! We promised we would all go next year and of course we brought them lots of presents!! We were lucky that my sister was able to stay with them while we vacationed. I felt guilty during the flight but as soon as we got on the Magical Express that went out the window!
I have one child and I did not become a parent until I was almost 40. You could say she knows that she owns me, I have 37 years on my job and I have postponed retirement for 5 years until I pay for her college (well that and 57 is to young to retire anyways.

I love my kids, don't get me wrong but there was something special about the Disney trip I took with my grown siblings. We had such a great time and it was nice to navigate with less whining and complaining. My favorite part for sure was the fireworks and the parade! It's an entirely different experience when there isn't a little human depending on you to fix every discomfort. One thing I will recommend, take advantage of staying late if you don't have the littles with you! Also, just because you don't have the kids does not mean you should forget the sunscreen - OUCH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!