First Universal Trip — Club Level Worrth it?

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
We have a Portofino Club Level room booked for our first ever Universal trip in mid-January. We have been going back and forth regarding whether we should stick with Club Level or switch to a regular room and just eat in the parks/city walk and pay for breakfast? For those have done both, which would you prefer? Is club level different at the various 3 Universal hotels that offer Express Pass? We are paying $66 more per night plus tax for Club Level. It will be me, DH, and our triplet boys, who are 9. We tend to eat decent sized breakfasts and dinners and seldom eat a big lunch, other than snacks.

For a family of 5, the real question is breakfast. The buffet, which is simply wonderful, will cost more than that, so if you are okay with the heavy continental breakfast offerings, club is worth it.

For us, it rarely ever is, because we sleep in, eat the breakfast buffet and don't eat lunch. When we stayed club, we did save on club vs. buffet, but when we added in lunch, even counter service, the numbers didn't work.

Also, we didn't really take full advantage of it based on our touring style. If you can factor in drinks and evening sweets, there is a cost savings there. We ended buying Big Pinks anyways.

The offerings at each Club Level are similar...…..

$66 a night sounds good for 5 people...….what would you usually spend on breakfast each day alone?

Lunch isn't worth coming back for at all...….its potato chips and snack like items and fruit.....

The evening offerings are very good...….if you will be leaving the parks to take advantage of them you`ll win money wise if that`s your concern. Wine and beers are complimentary at the three Club Lounges only during evening offerings.

You may find you break even or better on breakfasts alone since you all like a good breakfast.

For a family of 5, the real question is breakfast. The buffet, which is simply wonderful, will cost more than that, so if you are okay with the heavy continental breakfast offerings, club is worth it.

For us, it rarely ever is, because we sleep in, eat the breakfast buffet and don't eat lunch. When we stayed club, we did save on club vs. buffet, but when we added in lunch, even counter service, the numbers didn't work.

Also, we didn't really take full advantage of it based on our touring style. If you can factor in drinks and evening sweets, there is a cost savings there. We ended buying Big Pinks anyways.

Where is the breakfast buffet offered? I thought Portofino had a decent club breakfast? Does it not compare to the buffet? Also, what are “Big Pinks”?

The offerings at each Club Level are similar...…..

$66 a night sounds good for 5 people...….what would you usually spend on breakfast each day alone?

Lunch isn't worth coming back for at all...….its potato chips and snack like items and fruit.....

The evening offerings are very good...….if you will be leaving the parks to take advantage of them you`ll win money wise if that`s your concern. Wine and beers are complimentary at the three Club Lounges only during evening offerings.

You may find you break even or better on breakfasts alone since you all like a good breakfast.

This is exactly what we were hoping. We figured it would be nice, even if we only use it for breakfast and decide to skip dinner and eat in the parks or Citywalk.

This is exactly what we were hoping. We figured it would be nice, even if we only use it for breakfast and decide to skip dinner and eat in the parks or Citywalk.

That’s what we do.......although we are usually back at the RPR Club Lounge around 4.30 most days, we prefer to eat later and out and about whether it be Citywalk, the hotels or around Orlando.......but it is ideal for breakfast......

Especially for five of you!

All of the hotels offer a breakfast buffet in the restaurants.......they are around $24/25 each......

Big pink is the Simpsons big pink donut.......:wave:

We are doing Portofino club level for our first trip too! Staying the first few days of February before Disney. I’m banking on grabbing bottles of water for our days at Universal and perhaps a few extra for Disney :). Going to have breakfast there and some desserts at night. Not sure if we would make it back for the dinner offerings and my picky family likely wouldn’t eat what they have to offer either.

The breakfast buffets, although pricey, works out for my family as it allows us to skip lunch. I really can't think of a breakfast food not offered on the buffet, and the price includes all drinks.

Myself, I can survive on coffee and water alone, but my wonderful wife and kids - when on vacation - find it necessary to have chocolate milk, orange juice, and hot tea, lol. That alone is about $12 per person, so the buffet suddenly becomes valuable.

And...they want sausage gravy and biscuits, pancakes, sausage, bacon, bacon, bacon, yogurt, fruit, and bacon. Me, I absolutely love the omelette stations. Those are not offered at club level.

Pending your eating habits, the club level allows for a plentiful breakfast...we are just spoiled beyond belief!!!!

I understand that club offers much more than just breakfast, but that is the start of where the value is in club. Breakfast at Universal is the toughest of all meals, especially if you want some substance. I would be open to everyone's opinion of how to do breakfast for less than $12-15 per person - so for a family of five, you are already saving $60-75 (possibly more) by selecting club level. Anything else you can use it for is bonus, speaking about budget alone.

As an accountant and vacation planner, the math is not as simple as we have to factor in counter service lunch when we go club.

Evening sweets is another club offering, but we like evenings in the park, so the timing doesn't work for us. As mentioned above, the Big Pink is the HUGE Doughnut in Simpsons, and they are very good. We always buy a few to take on the plane home...and we buy many of them every stay. It is much more popular in my family than Butterbeer.

The breakfast buffets, although pricey, works out for my family as it allows us to skip lunch. I really can't think of a breakfast food not offered on the buffet, and the price includes all drinks.

Myself, I can survive on coffee and water alone, but my wonderful wife and kids - when on vacation - find it necessary to have chocolate milk, orange juice, and hot tea, lol. That alone is about $12 per person, so the buffet suddenly becomes valuable.

And...they want sausage gravy and biscuits, pancakes, sausage, bacon, bacon, bacon, yogurt, fruit, and bacon. Me, I absolutely love the omelette stations. Those are not offered at club level.

Pending your eating habits, the club level allows for a plentiful breakfast...we are just spoiled beyond belief!!!!

I understand that club offers much more than just breakfast, but that is the start of where the value is in club. Breakfast at Universal is the toughest of all meals, especially if you want some substance. I would be open to everyone's opinion of how to do breakfast for less than $12-15 per person - so for a family of five, you are already saving $60-75 (possibly more) by selecting club level. Anything else you can use it for is bonus, speaking about budget alone.

As an accountant and vacation planner, the math is not as simple as we have to factor in counter service lunch when we go club.

Evening sweets is another club offering, but we like evenings in the park, so the timing doesn't work for us. As mentioned above, the Big Pink is the HUGE Doughnut in Simpsons, and they are very good. We always buy a few to take on the plane home...and we buy many of them every stay. It is much more popular in my family than Butterbeer.

Thank you! I needed to read this. We are staying at the Polynesian for 5 nights after our 3 at Universal and doing Deluxe Dining. We have had some pretty sad continental breakfasts at hotels that we were able to write off because it was a one night stay, but this is our family vacation that we are going all out for to bring our 9 year olds to see HP and Disney again before they are 10, and become more expensive. My biggest concern with doing the club level was the very things you mentioned—missing all of the unique snacks and treats that make up part of our vacation, including a really yummy buffet breakfast. We have Chase Visa points to pay for the room and could easily budget cash for the food. I don’t want to spend the $80 or so extra a night and feel like we have to use it because we paid for it. I think we would end up just “settling” for the offerings, and I don’t want to make a decision we will regret. We are also staying at one of the more remote resorts. I don’t know if we’ll want to even venture back for dinner, and don’t want our time in the parks to be compensated because we chose to stay club level.

That’s what we do.......although we are usually back at the RPR Club Lounge around 4.30 most days, we prefer to eat later and out and about whether it be Citywalk, the hotels or around Orlando.......but it is ideal for breakfast......

Especially for five of you!

All of the hotels offer a breakfast buffet in the restaurants.......they are around $24/25 each......

Big pink is the Simpsons big pink donut.......:wave:

Is the $24/25 a person for everyone of just adults? Is the buffet less expensive for our 9 year olds?

Is the $24/25 a person for everyone of just adults? Is the buffet less expensive for our 9 year olds?

That’s per person.

Kids are cheaper, I believe it’s 9 and under for child’s prices. I believe for example Sapphire kids price is $12.99......the website menus have prices I believe, haven’t paid attention to child prices.

The buffets are excellent at all the hotels.

Hi PBH has an awesome breakfast. They include some hot food with theirs. There is scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage and beans every morning. In addition to that you have all the continental stuff offered at most hotel breakfasts. This is the reason I chose PBH over the other two was for the hot breakfast. The dinner offerings were plentiful that we didn't need other stuff. The lounge itself is wonderful to have. We found ourselves in quite a bit of bad weather and it was a nice place to hang out instead of the room. We loved the drink offerings throughout the day. I had a family of 4 and saved a lot of money. I am now spoiled with club level and want to do it at every resort.

Below is the hot breakfast items from this past summer.

thumbnail (30).jpg
thumbnail (31).jpg

Enjoy your trip!

Hi PBH has an awesome breakfast. They include some hot food with theirs. There is scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage and beans every morning. In addition to that you have all the continental stuff offered at most hotel breakfasts. This is the reason I chose PBH over the other two was for the hot breakfast. The dinner offerings were plentiful that we didn't need other stuff. The lounge itself is wonderful to have. We found ourselves in quite a bit of bad weather and it was a nice place to hang out instead of the room. We loved the drink offerings throughout the day. I had a family of 4 and saved a lot of money. I am now spoiled with club level and want to do it at every resort.

View attachment 366410
View attachment 366411

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for sharing the pics! Do you happen to know if there was cold cereal and how it was served? Just curious if it was bulk or individual packages of cereal.

Thanks for sharing the pics! Do you happen to know if there was cold cereal and how it was served? Just curious if it was bulk or individual packages of cereal.

Hi You're welcome, my pleasure. This picture should help you with what you need. There was all the bakery items next to it. There is a fruit salad bar in the middle. Any other questions on CL here just ask, in the thread or PM me.

Enjoy!! We love PBH club level.

thumbnail (29).jpg

View attachment 366410
View attachment 366411

Enjoy your trip!

This helps. Thank you! I think for 2 breakfasts. This would work out great for us.

Hi You're welcome, my pleasure. This picture should help you with what you need. There was all the bakery items next to it. There is a fruit salad bar in the middle. Any other questions on CL here just ask, in the thread or PM me.

Enjoy!! We love PBH club level.

View attachment 366413

Thank you soooo much!! I see some of that cereal being taken with us for snacks later in the day too!

So, I just checked the room rates again. No change for the club level rate, but a regular room at Portofino is now $121 less. Is Club Level still with it for that price difference?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!