First Universal Trip — Club Level Worrth it?

So, I just checked the room rates again. No change for the club level rate, but a regular room at Portofino is now $121 less. Is Club Level still with it for that price difference?

It will say Club Level if it’s a Club Level room, if it doesn’t......it’s not included.

Also remember that a club level room is a deluxe room which is 40sqft bigger with a better bathroom. So the price difference between a standard room and a club level is fairly large because your stepping up a few levels.

Also remember that a club level room is a deluxe room which is 40sqft bigger with a better bathroom. So the price difference between a standard room and a club level is fairly large because your stepping up a few levels.

Is the room size difference noticeable? We don’t care as much about the bathroom.

We are paying $66 more per night plus tax for Club Level. It will be me, DH, and our triplet boys, who are 9.

With that many people eating that difference could easily be worth it.

For us, it rarely ever is, because we sleep in, eat the breakfast buffet and don't eat lunch. When we stayed club, we did save on club vs. buffet, but when we added in lunch, even counter service, the numbers didn't work.

I feel like you havent seen the “lunch” offerings at club level.

**Editing: maybe I’m reading you backwards. **

Also, what are “Big Pinks”?

Giant and very good donut. Not as expensive as you would think. Best when somewhat chilled and not melting. (We’ll take it back and put it in the fridge for a bit)

Not sure if we would make it back for the dinner offerings and my picky family likely wouldn’t eat what they have to offer either.

My family is vegetarian (the times we’ve stayed club they’ve never had a veggie dinner meal) and with food issues, and even with that, having the veggies and cheese cubes always worked for us. It allowed us to not have to worry about a BIG dinner, which lowered the other food costs.

As an accountant and vacation planner, the math is not as simple as we have to factor in counter service lunch when we go club.

Nope. Potato chips and granola bars is what they have had when we’ve stopped in. Nothing substantial or worth bothering to factor in. Lunch must still be eaten if you’re lunch eaters. Redo your math! :)

**Editing again: I think I am reading your words opposite of how you mean.

To clarify, are you saying that when you stay club you then have to buy lunch? If so, that makes sense.

But then I’ve never felt that club can totally replace all purchased food. The obit time it did that for me and my son was whennhe and I had been dreadfully sick the two weeks prior, and we were in full recovery mode while at Uni (8 nights club at portofino). I think we bought two pizzas the whole week, and other than that relied on club. Different story for the now-ex. He hadn’t been with us for the first two weeks, and only got sick the following week once we were on our cruise after son and I were better. He had to eat more while at Uni.

But when son and I are healthy we still get some meals out, we still get snacks. Club isn’t a full replacement.**

So, I just checked the room rates again. No change for the club level rate, but a regular room at Portofino is now $121 less. Is Club Level still with it for that price difference?

That’s difficult. 121 per night is big. But...triplet boys?

Their dessert cookies last time we were there were so good. And it’s lovely to have included wine for me. :). And for my now ex he liked the feeling of exclusivity.

But 121 per night can get a rental car for a day to buy better cookies and your own wine and then pay for other meals.

Last edited:

With that many people eating that difference could easily be worth it.

I feel like you havent seen the “lunch” offerings at club level.

**Editing: maybe I’m reading you backwards. **

Giant and very good donut. Not as expensive as you would think. Best when somewhat chilled and not melting. (We’ll take it back and put it in the fridge for a bit)

My family is vegetarian (the times we’ve stayed club they’ve never had a veggie dinner meal) and with food issues, and even with that, having the veggies and cheese cubes always worked for us. It allowed us to not have to worry about a BIG dinner, which lowered the other food costs.

Nope. Potato chips and granola bars is what they have had when we’ve stopped in. Nothing substantial or worth bothering to factor in. Lunch must still be eaten if you’re lunch eaters. Redo your math! :)

To clarify, are you saying that when you stay club you then have to buy lunch? If so, that makes sense.

But then I’ve never felt that club can totally replace all purchased food. The obit time it did that for me and my son was whennhe and I had been dreadfully sick the two weeks prior, and we were in full recovery mode while at Uni (8 nights club at portofino). I think we bought two pizzas the whole week, and other than that relied on club. Different story for the now-ex. He hadn’t been with us for the first two weeks, and only got sick the following week once we were on our cruise after son and I were better. He had to eat more while at Uni.

But when son and I are healthy we still get some meals out, we still get snacks. Club isn’t a full replacement.**

That’s difficult. 121 per night is big. But...triplet boys?

Their dessert cookies last time we were there were so good. And it’s lovely to have included wine for me. :). And for my now ex he liked the feeling of exclusivity.

But 121 per night can get a rental car for a day to buy better cookies and your own wine and then pay for other meals.

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. We were convinced to do it at $66, but the rate dropped even more and is now $126 less! We might be better off skipping club this time?? Still undecided.

Let me explain - when I budget food for Universal (for four people - 2 adults, 2 teens), I budget breakfast buffet at $125 (tip included), snacks ($10 per person per day, includes shared refillable cups), and dinner (varied by location).

So, when we consider club option - I look at daily club rate vs. the $125 breakfast buffet as a starting point. Easy math is usually a 1 for 1 swap, as MOST club rates run very similar to the $125. However, if we only have a club level breakfast, we usually have to add a counter service lunch ($40 - $50 per day) back into the budget. So, easy math doesn't usually work for us.

WHY? Because we NEVER save on the snack portion of the budget - Butterbeer, Big Pinks, Seussland, etc.

There is some other value to us for club level, but our touring style at Uni has us back in the parks after dinner on City Walk. So, the lack of daytime yummies as you mentioned, it is usually only a few drinks to have in our room when our "in park" refillables run out.

Let me explain - when I budget food for Universal (for four people - 2 adults, 2 teens), I budget breakfast buffet at $125 (tip included), snacks ($10 per person per day, includes shared refillable cups), and dinner (varied by location).

So, when we consider club option - I look at daily club rate vs. the $125 breakfast buffet as a starting point. Easy math is usually a 1 for 1 swap, as MOST club rates run very similar to the $125. However, if we only have a club level breakfast, we usually have to add a counter service lunch ($40 - $50 per day) back into the budget. So, easy math doesn't usually work for us.

WHY? Because we NEVER save on the snack portion of the budget - Butterbeer, Big Pinks, Seussland, etc.

There is some other value to us for club level, but our touring style at Uni has us back in the parks after dinner on City Walk. So, the lack of daytime yummies as you mentioned, it is usually only a few drinks to have in our room when our "in park" refillables run out.

So, are you saying you wouldn’t be inclined to book a club level room if the price difference was $125 or more different, but would if the rate difference is less than $125?

So, are you saying you wouldn’t be inclined to book a club level room if the price difference was $125 or more different, but would if the rate difference is less than $125?
Just trying to add some context to the conversation, from a budget perspective - numbers only. There are many questions related to the "value" of club level, this is just my two cents for a middle class family of four.

We usually opt out of club level, although we keep it as an option in the decision making process.

The deciding factor is never budget (feeling myself cringe...), but when we discuss the best memories of our Universal vacations, it's the ease/relaxation of the vacation(s). And that relaxation begins with sleeping in and getting the breakfast buffet. Great food, no rush. We rehash the vacation so far and our plans for the day. The waiters get to know us by week's end, it's friendly and pleasant.

Many of my posts refer to the fact that Universal is the only place in my world where my brain shuts down, stress and worry melt away. And as corny as it sounds, the early part of our day is one of the major reasons. As well as Express Pass!

Many others find club to be so convenient, that more than the dollar value, it adds to the peace of mind.

Just trying to add some context to the conversation, from a budget perspective - numbers only. There are many questions related to the "value" of club level, this is just my two cents for a middle class family of four.

We usually opt out of club level, although we keep it as an option in the decision making process.

The deciding factor is never budget (feeling myself cringe...), but when we discuss the best memories of our Universal vacations, it's the ease/relaxation of the vacation(s). And that relaxation begins with sleeping in and getting the breakfast buffet. Great food, no rush. We rehash the vacation so far and our plans for the day. The waiters get to know us by week's end, it's friendly and pleasant.

Many of my posts refer to the fact that Universal is the only place in my world where my brain shuts down, stress and worry melt away. And as corny as it sounds, the early part of our day is one of the major reasons. As well as Express Pass!

Many others find club to be so convenient, that more than the dollar value, it adds to the peace of mind.

This is exactly why we are still on the fence, but actually leaning towards not doing it. Are the breakfast buffets at the hotel inconvenient as compared with Club Level? It seems as though it would be more convenient since it’s a buffet. Is there one hotel buffet in particular that you are referring to? It sounds like a very relaxing vacation.

I've never done the breakfast buffets at the resort, so can't comment on that. We just got back from 8 nights at RPR club. The breakfasts were convenient and had enough food variety for me. I usually had fruit, oatmeal, a hard-boiled egg, and yogurt. At least half the days we found ourselves at the evening offerings from 4:30-6:30 - a couple of beers or glasses of wine, plus some pretty good appetizers made dinner unnecessary. We usually got back in time to snag a few cookies, even after returning from the parks at 9:15. When just DH and I are there, we don't do club, but this time there was 6 of us (all adults) so it was worthwhile.

This is exactly why we are still on the fence, but actually leaning towards not doing it. Are the breakfast buffets at the hotel inconvenient as compared with Club Level? It seems as though it would be more convenient since it’s a buffet. Is there one hotel buffet in particular that you are referring to? It sounds like a very relaxing vacation.
The buffets are super convenient. We have had the buffet at Hard Rock and Royal Pacific - so close it's easy enough to say they are the same. From what I have read, Portofino Bay is the same as well.

First, I love the omelette station. There is a savory section - biscuits/gravy, grits, bacon, sausage, eggs, etc. There is a sweet section - Pancakes, French Toast, syrup, etc. There is the section with fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. There is a bread, cereal, pastry station as well. And unlimited drinks - not just refills, you can have coffee, chocolate milk, juice, whatever you want, as many as you want.

My family all love breakfast food, only thing we agree on diet wise. We eat so much, that we do not budget lunch, just some snacks.

Heck, we basically go down to eat in our pajamas, then go back up to the room after breakfast to get ready for the parks. Not sure the hotels could make it more convenient.

Whatever you choose, it will be great. Have fun

Hi the breakfast buffets are good at the resort from what I hear. However, they are expensive at 23.99 for an Adult and anywhere from $13.00 to $17.00 for your children. When we did the club level at PBH last summer I had my DH two teens 16. It cost me $100.00 a day difference from a regular room rate (plus I had a larger room) If I went to the buffet breakfast daily, I would have broken even. Now lunch is in the parks or city walk (they really don't do much at club level) but dinner appetizers were amazing and very filling. We were able to eat enough of those to not go to dinner. I saved a lot of money(about $100.00) per day not having to buy dinner. There are cans of soda, coffee and bottles of water supplied all day long. Drinks by themselves could be $50.00 a day. For a family of 4 or more it really can save money.

Also it may not matter to you. but as a club level guest at PBH you can access the 18 and older spa for free. This includes the sauna, steam room and co- ed hot tub. My DH and I used it when we were there. The other thing we liked is being able to go somewhere else and hang out besides our room in the bad weather. They do have games and a nice TV. It really is a personal choice and only you know what is good for your family.

If you are going to bring breakfast items in your room, small lunch or skip it then do a dinner, then I can see you saving money skipping club level. Otherwise for a family of 4 or more it is hard to stay in a budget that is less than adding the club level. The only other way it is not beneficial if your family will not eat the offerings there. When the time comes for me and my DH to go by ourselves then I will rethink club level cost. For now every trip at a resort is club level.

Good luck with your choice!

My family all love breakfast food, only thing we agree on diet wise. We eat so much, that we do not budget lunch, just some snacks.

I think that’s a key consideration here - whether or not you’re breakfast people.

I need some breakfast but can’t put away a big meal at that time of the day so, if I have a buffet breakfast I never eat enough to not need lunch.

For us Club therefore works well. We have some breakfast in the club lounge, have a big lunch in the parks or Citywalk (or Sal’s at PBH or by the pool) and then have the club appetisers (and maybe, depending on our plans, dessert) in the evening for a light dinner.

I think that’s a key consideration here - whether or not you’re breakfast people.

I need some breakfast but can’t put away a big meal at that time of the day so, if I have a buffet breakfast I never eat enough to not need lunch.

For us Club therefore works well. We have some breakfast in the club lounge, have a big lunch in the parks or Citywalk (or Sal’s at PBH or by the pool) and then have the club appetisers (and maybe, depending on our plans, dessert) in the evening for a light dinner.

We are definitely breakfast people and often skip lunch, but opt for a bigger dinner, so perhaps Club Level may not make sense for us?

We are definitely breakfast people and often skip lunch, but opt for a bigger dinner, so perhaps Club Level may not make sense for us?

Given the above and that it's also your first trip (I think?) - no, maybe not. Perhaps something to try next time, particularly if the price difference is <$125 then :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter