First weekend of January (4-5), questions?

edhmom

DIS Veteran
I am considering taking a quick trip to Disneyland the first weekend of January, which would be the 4th and 5th. My daughter will be leaving the 6th to head back to college down there, school starts Monday. We did the same thing last year but she started a week later so it was after all the holiday crowds were gone.

Does anyone have any idea what the hours for that weekend might be and how the crowds would look? If we did this, the kids and I (they're 17 and 19) would probably do Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The husband and maybe mother in law would fly down for just Saturday and Sunday in the parks.

The other option would just be to pick a random weekend in the spring and go then.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It's going to be busy. Not as busy as the previous weekend, but plenty busy (and probably noticeably busier than the weekend you were there last year).

But there are other considerations, too. Have you been to Disneyland during the Christmas season? You'll get to see all the Christmas decorations, hear all of the Christmas music, and experience the Christmas entertainment (A Christmas Fantasy Parade, World of Color-Season of Light, Believe...In Holiday Magic Fireworks, as well as a lot of smaller things). I think there's a lot to be said for doing Disneyland at Christmas at least once in your life.

On the other hand, a 17- and a 19-year-old may prefer the advantages of smaller crowds over the benefits of the Christmas season.

I am considering taking a quick trip to Disneyland the first weekend of January, which would be the 4th and 5th. My daughter will be leaving the 6th to head back to college down there, school starts Monday. We did the same thing last year but she started a week later so it was after all the holiday crowds were gone.

Does anyone have any idea what the hours for that weekend might be and how the crowds would look? If we did this, the kids and I (they're 17 and 19) would probably do Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The husband and maybe mother in law would fly down for just Saturday and Sunday in the parks.

The other option would just be to pick a random weekend in the spring and go then.

Thoughts?
The AP Blockout Calendar has Signature and Deluxe back in the parks on Jan. 5th. Flex is allowed to make reservations that day, too. The lower two passes are still blocked until the 6th. Therefore, I would expect your best days to be the 3rd and 4th (which will still be very busy) and the 5th to be slammed since it will be the first day back for Signature, Deluxe, and any Flex APs since their December blockout. Also, for APs and day guests, it will be the last weekend to see Holiday Time. Here is the link for this year's 2019 Holiday Time at DLR Superthread: 11/08/19 - 1/06/20! -- look it over to see if there are things you really want to see before Jan. 6th or if you would rather wait until spring.

Oh man. The 5th is my birthday-well, I’ll just buckle in and prepare for the ride. I’m glad we have our WOC dessert party reservations already. Maybe I’ll reserve a lunch meal as well.

We went the day many AP holders were allowed back into the parks for the first time since Christmas and it was INSANELY CROWDED. They closed the gates at around noon. We still made it work, though.

Oh man. The 5th is my birthday-well, I’ll just buckle in and prepare for the ride. I’m glad we have our WOC dessert party reservations already. Maybe I’ll reserve a lunch meal as well.
Go ahead and reserve a TS lunch -- and order yourself a birthday cake to be delivered to the restaurant, too! It's going to be your special day -- celebrate! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter