Flickr changes/alternatives

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Just got an email from Flickr that my free account will be limited to 1,000 pictures.
Free accounts will soon be limited to 1,000 photos or videos. Flickr isn't Flickr without the contributions and participation of our free members, and we remain committed to a vibrant, free offering.

Looking for alternatives. What does everybody else use?

It's not free but I use my own web space. Actually I have two, one includes a domain, email, etc. and the other one is with photo album software (jAlbum. Not expensive and really good software by the way). Free alternatives might be Google Photos and some of the print services allow sharing of photos, Shutterfly for example. Photobucket is another popular choice though I have no experience with that one, it doesn't appear to be free though(?). There is also Smugmug and Imgur, again, I have no experiences with these other than seeing them from time to time.

It may be a case of "you get what you pay for" these days especailly with large numbers of photos. Many "free" services seem to be working on how to in business.

Last edited:
Are you considering the location as your primary storage option? If so, paying for it is most likely worth it. Especially ease of access. Their 1TB option is what, $50/year? Basic cloud storage, w/o the interface and access functionality, costs $100+/MONTH for the same 1TB.

Yeah, it was dirty of someone to say, back in April, that they wouldn't charge. But, then again, a business stays in business to make money. I think it's crappy for those who have had a really long presence but not too many other options that aren't equivalent cost.

Are you considering the location as your primary storage option? If so, paying for it is most likely worth it. Especially ease of access. Their 1TB option is what, $50/year? Basic cloud storage, w/o the interface and access functionality, costs $100+/MONTH for the same 1TB.

Yeah, it was dirty of someone to say, back in April, that they wouldn't charge. But, then again, a business stays in business to make money. I think it's crappy for those who have had a really long presence but not too many other options that aren't equivalent cost.
I'm thinking it's $30/year. But I wouldn't be shocked to see it go up. Although after severely limiting their free option, that would be a huge mistake on their part any time soon.

As I see my needs for online storage, I've really got two goals.
1) backup storage for my full library which is also backed up in my home on my NAS
2) a place on line that I can link specific pictures to various social media sites like the DIS

For #1, I'm pretty much relying on iCloud and Amazon Prime right now and probably going forward.
For #2 this might be more of an issue. I'd want to have more than the 1,000 that Flickr will allow for a free site. Sometimes I travel with friends and would like to be able to share albums with them.

As I see my needs for online storage, I've really got two goals.
1) backup storage for my full library which is also backed up in my home on my NAS
2) a place on line that I can link specific pictures to various social media sites like the DIS

For #1, I'm pretty much relying on iCloud and Amazon Prime right now and probably going forward.
For #2 this might be more of an issue. I'd want to have more than the 1,000 that Flickr will allow for a free site. Sometimes I travel with friends and would like to be able to share albums with them.

I use a portable storage drive for backup, Flickr for photo hosting but I'm not sure what I'll do when Flickr starts charging.
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter