• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying Fish review 10/29/2006 (round 2)

Robert P

GLOBEX - taking over your world one country at a t
Prelude – We had tried the Flying Fish for the first time last week (with the kids), after years of fence sitting about it. It was such a great meal that we cancelled another ADR, and booked a dinner for just 2 adults, with a same day ADR, at 6:30 p.m.

Sunday October 29, 2006

We arrived 5 minutes early for our 6:30 ADR. We had to wait in the front area for 5 minutes, and were taken through a packed restaurant to a table for 2, nearer the back.
Didi was our server, and he was good. He was very busy with other tables, but this did not take away from our service. After making a few suggestions, he left us to look over our menus. When he returned, we ordered sodas, and I ordered another of the dirty martinis I discovered last week.
We skipped appetizers again (no calamari still), and my wife got the potato-wrapped snapper entree, and I got the New York Strip. The snapper was once again excellent, but the steak was well, ‘different’. Apparently, the steak is charred, as in black. It was perfectly cooked medium rare on the inside, but the outside was crusted in blackness. The menu says it, I knew it, and still, it was surprising. Now, about the sauce foyot. I know many people may disagree with this, but I just didn’t care for it. I think alot of the appeal of this dish is the application of the sauce foyot to the charred crust. Didi seemed shocked when I requested the sauce on the side. Indeed, I did not care for the sauce, so there was no offset of the char taste. Still, this was an excellent cut of meat, perfectly cooked, but just with alot of carbon on the outside. The accompanying potatoes and asparagus were excellent, alongside the steak.
No dessert (again), as we were trying to get to Jellyrolls for the first set.
Total bill for 2 sodas, 1 martini, potato-wrapped snapper, and NY Strip was just under $90 with tax. The DDE discount saved almost $17, and the recalculated amount with tax was $72, before tip. As we were leaving, the place was still packed, and the front area had at least 15 people waiting to be seated. A popular restaurant, and for good reason.

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the reviews! DH and I have stopped by to look at the menu on several trips, but DH is not a big seafood fan so we haven't eaten there. I would like to try their vegetarian entree, though.

Have you eaten at bluezoo and if so, do you prefer one restaurant over the other?

Tough question PrincessKitty1. My BlueZoo review is posted this week, and that has been our favorite for awhile now (4 visits I think, maybe 5). However, Flying Fish does take the DDE card, and I cannot complain about any part of the meals we had. I would say BlueZoo remains our favorite, but it's a very close race right now. That bread basket may be the deciding factor for us. It was awesome.

Thanks for the review. We have also eaten at both restaurants and I think they are very different experiences as far as food an ambience go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter