Flying Frontier Airlines with Kids

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
DH and I are considering a quick trip thanks to cheap flights ($49) and a discount code for Caribbean Beach. We were there and did 7 Park days in April so this would mostly be a resort/Disney Springs trip with maybe a park day thrown in. There is one big caveat to the whole trip and that is the flying part! DH and I haven't flown in 10 years and never with kids. Our kids are 5 and 4 and have been begging to fly on an airplane for the last year or so. I thought Orlando might be a good place to start since we could use DME and not have to deal with car rentals.

I know that Frontier is a budget airline and that you are only allowed a personal item and then to pay for carry-ons, etc. This would be a 3-4 night trip so mostly swimsuits/dri-fit clothes and flipflops. Planning on traveling super light. My question is have any of you flown Frontier? I'm assuming I can pay more to be guaranteed for each of us to get to sit by one of the kids? We can likely get by purchasing one carry-on for all of us and letting the kids take a couple things in their personal bag (they have small REI backpacks) I saw where I could purchase something called "The Works" and "The Perks" but I believe I would need to purchase that for everyone and that would make our flights drastically more expensive. We would likely choose to go somewhere else and save a flying adventure for later if there were too many added fees tacked on. Flying from St. Louis so it would only be a couple hour flight.

Any insights, pros and cons would be appreciated! Thanks!

Yes, I fly Frontier to Orlando with kids somewhat regularly. I usually do pay to choose my seats but it's still far cheaper than other airlines for us. We always take full advantage of the free personal item. Each person takes a backpack, diaper bag, or Vera Bradley weekender and we pack as much as we can in those. When we went in December we also checked one large bag so we only had one $50 RT fee for that. When we go for 3 nights or less we only take the free item.

I have read reports from those who did not pay to select seats and are still always seated with their kids, but I'm a little too nervous to give it a try.

Carry on does cost a little more than a checked bag so be aware of that. Not much but maybe $10 RT. I don't usually buy The Works because it defeats the entire purpose of my purchasing cheap tickets with them.

Yes, I fly Frontier to Orlando with kids somewhat regularly. I usually do pay to choose my seats but it's still far cheaper than other airlines for us. We always take full advantage of the free personal item. Each person takes a backpack, diaper bag, or Vera Bradley weekender and we pack as much as we can in those. When we went in December we also checked one large bag so we only had one $50 RT fee for that. When we go for 3 nights or less we only take the free item.

I have read reports from those who did not pay to select seats and are still always seated with their kids, but I'm a little too nervous to give it a try.

Carry on does cost a little more than a checked bag so be aware of that. Not much but maybe $10 RT. I don't usually buy The Works because it defeats the entire purpose of my purchasing cheap tickets with them.

Thanks for the reply! How much do they charge extra to select a seat?

We have flown Frontier twice.

Our first experience was not good. They were new to our home airport and didn't have many flights running yet. So when they canceled our flight home (at 10pm for an 8am flight) we were out of luck. I swore never again with Frontier. But the super low fare swayed me back and our next flight was fine. Take a look at their record for your home airport.

We always check 2-3 bags for our family of 5. I can't imagine making due with what I can fit in my personal item. But we do stay for a week+. The checked bags add $100+ to our total but still alot cheaper than most airlines.

I remember an article about a new law that would not allow kids to be separate from adults on a flight. I googled it and here is one article. So you really don't have to buy seats. But you may want to experience a first flight all together.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...01687974517_story.html?utm_term=.200214b3205d

Thanks for the reply! How much do they charge extra to select a seat?

It depends on the flight and what seat you want. Cheapest I've seen was $8 per seat each way. Most of my flights have been $12 each way and if you want extra leg room seats it's more like $20+.

We have flown Frontier twice.

Our first experience was not good. They were new to our home airport and didn't have many flights running yet. So when they canceled our flight home (at 10pm for an 8am flight) we were out of luck. I swore never again with Frontier. But the super low fare swayed me back and our next flight was fine. Take a look at their record for your home airport.

We always check 2-3 bags for our family of 5. I can't imagine making due with what I can fit in my personal item. But we do stay for a week+. The checked bags add $100+ to our total but still alot cheaper than most airlines.

I remember an article about a new law that would not allow kids to be separate from adults on a flight. I googled it and here is one article. So you really don't have to buy seats. But you may want to experience a first flight all together.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...01687974517_story.html?utm_term=.200214b3205d

Thanks for the extra article!

There is usually a family section in the back of the plane where it is cheaper to select seats. The middle seat is free and the window/aisle was $6 in the same row. We chose to fly with a kid in the window seat and parent in the middle, then the same set up in the row behind, just in case there was seat kicking.

I don't think there is a huge difference between the charge for checked luggage and carry on, but you get a lot larger bag for the price if you check. If you are using magical express it might be worth considering. Throw the swimsuits, sunscreen and PJs in the personal item then wait for the rest.

I've flown Frontier many times. Usually alone, but we did travel as a family once. I have nothing but good things to say about them. You can pay to reserve seats, but you truly don't need to. We didn't, and still got seated together. Buy a bag check up front. It's cheaper and easier than at the gate.

I'm curious about that article now. I saw some mentioning of it last year, but there were comments about how it wasn't going into effect for some time. Would love to know if this is part of the active regulations currently as I could save even more not paying for seats. Although I'd also really hate to get stuck next to the bathroom in the back of the plane too. Hmm, decisions.

I can't remember the cut off age, but your kids will not be allowed to sit in an exit row, so just keep that in mind if you pay for seats ahead of time (some airlines remind you when picking seats, but I can't remember if Frontier does).

I know you can count a backpack as a personal item. Just check the measurements. That is for each person, so you can have 4 backpacks total. I had a friend who borrowed one of my basic Jansports and was able to put all her clothes in there and it still counted as a personal item. That might save you some $$. Beware of the 3-1-1 rule for carryons (no bigger than 3oz containers in 1 quart sized ziploc and 1 bag per person). Keep in mind WDW hotels have shampoo/conditioner/soap so if you're fine with what they offer you wouldn't really exceed the regulated amount.

I would have a drink ready or some kind of candy during takeoff/landing for ear pressure relief. My kids do well with gummy bears or fruit snacks. Definitely bring entertainment. Both of my children have Amazon Kindles that have games and movies downloaded on them. Frontier doesn't offer any on flight entertainment so they could get bored/antsy without something to do. One of DD4's favorite things is a reusable stickers. And LOTS of snacks!

I'm curious about that article now. I saw some mentioning of it last year, but there were comments about how it wasn't going into effect for some time. Would love to know if this is part of the active regulations currently as I could save even more not paying for seats. Although I'd also really hate to get stuck next to the bathroom in the back of the plane too. Hmm, decisions.

If you research it more, the law is not going to do a whole lot. They will let the airlines self govern for a while.

My experience with Frontier and flying with my 2 children has not been good. I paid for seats together and another customer sat in our row. (3 of us traveling) Customer would not get up insisting that it was his seat. (honestly in the begining he thought it was they way they are labeled is not clear). I pressed the call button and the flight attendant confirmed that the row was ours and WALKED AWAY. Left me to dispute with customer on where he should sit. He ignored me and refused to move stating his bag was already overhead and he wouldn't be able to reach it if he moved. I pressed the call light again and same Flight attendant came up and had the audacity to tell me that myself and my children needed to take a seat. I informed her YET AGAIN that my 2 and 3 year old children needed to sit WITH ME and that I PAID for these seats and that the gentleman needed to move. (At this point other customer has his headphones on and is ignoring the entire situation) Flight attendant tells me I can sit on the isle with one son in middle and one son across the isle. I tell her NO. I PAID for these seats. My Children will both be sitting with me. Finally Angry Rude Customer in our seats gets up and goes to the back of the plane. Flight attendant actually has the audacity to say to me "there problem solved" To which I replied "No thanks to you." We didn't get an offer to Purchase drinks. She skipped right by us in the flight lol. I was so upset that she would even suggest that I not sit with my babies. 2 and 3 year olds. I called daily for several days trying to talk to someone. no one cared. Eventually I was offered a 50.00 voucher for future travel. I told them to Shove it you know where. Absolutely will never fly them again. I'd rather pay several hundred dollars more than for someone to suggest my 3 year old sit with strangers.

I fly Frontier almost exclusively now due to their low fares. My groups have been as few as 1 and as many as 12 including young children. In our 20+ flights (STL-MCO) we have never experienced a problem. Frontier does try to nickel and dime you for every fee, but with a little planning and strategic packing you can have significant savings.

I just booked another extended family (party of 14) vacay today with them. With $20 fares each way it's wayyyyy cheaper than driving.

Last edited:
Seat assignments for middle seats near the rear are usually free. The window seats near the rear are $5. So $10 for our family of four isn't too bad. $20 round-trip.

We have flown from Atlanta to Vegas several times with Frontier, never an issue.

You could book one reservation with one parents plus the two kids, and buy basic fares + seat assignments, then have the other parent book "The Works" to get the baggage allowance. If you're all paying for seat assignments and booking one right after the other in a not-yet-full plane, you can get your seats together. The risk is that if the flight is cancelled or you miss a connection, you won't be rebooked as one unit.

We are also from St. Louis, and flew with Frontier last year. we got $49 flights as well, but ended up purchasing "the works", mainly for the checked bags and seats with extra leg room. It was still cheaper than any other option (southwest and frontier are the only airlines that fly direct from stl to orlando). It was fine, nothing special, short flight. No complaints though . I think "the works" package was $69 per person, so essentially it made one way $118, but still $167 round trip. super cheap, even with extra $$.

The airline can just tell the family that they have to wait for another flight - if they offer prebooking for seats, then how could they make someone who prepaid for a certain seat move because some family was too cheap to do so? There will be a lot of angry customers if lazy, cheap parents try this crap, IMO.

We are also from St. Louis, and flew with Frontier last year. we got $49 flights as well, but ended up purchasing "the works", mainly for the checked bags and seats with extra leg room. It was still cheaper than any other option (southwest and frontier are the only airlines that fly direct from stl to orlando). It was fine, nothing special, short flight. No complaints though . I think "the works" package was $69 per person, so essentially it made one way $118, but still $167 round trip. super cheap, even with extra $$.

How does $118 X 2 = $167?

How does checking a car seat work? Is that considered a checked luggage piece or carry on? I am traveling down by myself with my 4 and 9 year old and am bringing one car seat for the 4 year old.

Thanks!!!

Sorry to hijack, OP! Just wondering how boarding works. Southwest has no assigned seats and gives people boarding groups. The people who pay to select seats get to go on first and select their seats, then groups A-C go on in order. Is Frontier the same?
Or are you assigned a seat on your ticket prior to and sent on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!