• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying with a claustrophobic...

bubbasmom99

DIS Veteran
We will be traveling to WDW in May with my in-laws. My FIL is somewhat claustrophobic, having been a tunnel rat in VietNam. He also has back injuries that will most likely be aggravated by sitting on a plane for 4 hours. What is the best seating situation? I am thinking that he will be more comfortable in a seat near an open area, like the galley or restrooms... we have not booked the flight yet, but it will most likely be a red-eye on a 757 (Delta). Hopefully he can just take his medication and sleep the flight, but I am trying to anticipate the worst. He has flown before, but not for this long a flight.

Perhaps the worst part will be trying to get off the plane when we land... I don't suppose the flight attendants can arrange it so that he can get off first?? I imagine he'll get pretty anxious when everyone is standing up around him getting bags and such, waiting to get off the plane.

Thanks!

What a terrible thing your FIL has to go through after serving his country. By all means AVOID the middle seat!!! I would think the window seat would be best so he may look out. The isle seat my remind him he is in an airplane (metal tube). I would request a bulk-head seat. This is a seat with a seperation wall in front of the seat. This will give your FIL more room to stretch out and it may keep him from feeling "surrounded" by seats and people. Just my opinion.
When you check in, I would let the gate agent know the situation in detail, they can make a note of this in the computer. The gate agent will give the flight-attendant a printed off seat assignment and the note will be included on this. I would also, remind the lead flight attendant just to make sure. I hope this helps.

I wouldn't wait until check in to try too arrange a seat. The bulkhead seats are ones that people request a lot because of the extra foot room in front of them. Those seats would be the best for him though because of the fact that he won't have anyone ahead of him reclining their seat into his space. I suggest you try calling or emailing someone in the Special Needs department. The airline might not know they have one, but they do. They would probably be able to be more helpful to your special situation. Because the bulkhead seats are often the best ones for someone with a disability, they often can only be arranged ahead of time thru special needs. Ask him how he feels about the window or the aisle. The window has the advantage of having no one next to you, but the wall next to you is curved, giving a little less foot room and a feeling that the top wall is close to you.
As for letting him out first, I'm afraid that would be almost impossible. The flight attendants have a hard enough time keeping people in their seats until the plane comes to a complete stop. I think if he is in a window seat, he won't have a much of a problem with the hoard of people getting out. When you are in an aisle seat, the people feel like they are all over you.
Then do the other things that TinkHappy suggested.
You didn't ask, but there are some rides at WDW that often make people with claustrophobic quite uncomfortable. The ones I can think of offhand are Spaceship Earth, Alien Encounter and Haunted Mansion. All three of them have high backs that sort of come around you and the sound comes out of the headrest behind you.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into bulkhead seating, but I think we might also try to get the seats in the very last row. If I remember correctly, they usually replenish the galley when the flight arrives by opening the rear door, and that might get us a little space and fresh air until the rest of the crowd gets off. If nothing else, he should be able to get up and stretch in the galley-way.

As far as rides, that is a good heads-up. There are things we just take for granted, I guess. Unfortunately, it is exactly those types of slow-moving rides that he can go on with his back injury. We will see how it goes.

Thanks again.

If you can afford first class (or know someone who can arrange an upgrade with frequent flyer miles), I'd recommend that. There is quite a bit more room/individual space in FC and you will definitely be among the very first off the plane.

Best wishes

I fly 50,000+ miles yr and am very claustrophic, so I can relate. Here is my personal advice:

- business class if available or affordable - there are lots of reduced business fares these days, especially on United and US Airways
- second choice is an aisle as far forward as possible. Note that the FAs will rarely let someone out first, rarely for missed connections but that's it. Also check out the seat map on the internet for your flight - far forward is not always by the boarding door!!
- United Economy Plus section has more room - but reserved for 'status' freq fliers and only avail to others if not taken close to arrival
- I personally would AVOID the window - the feeling that you can't get out to the aisle is overwhelming to me; choose an aisle
- if possible check out the seat map for your flight and see if there is an exit row with 2 instead of 3 seats - these are usually the most space. They are usually held for airport assignment, so check in as early as possible. But note that some agents will actually not let you sit there if you say that you are claustrophic - I think that they worry that I will panic and open the door midflight!!!!
- I haven't flown American since they 'added more room', but I hear that it's like United Plus
- I rarely fly Delta, but my last flight I could only get near the back, and explained politely to the flight attendants, who were wonderful. They found someone to trade with me - I go this route on the rare times that I cannot get an aisle far forward, and while embarassing it does work
- On United the first row of economy rarely has a bulkhead wall anymore, and they no longer close the curtain to business class, so you have lots of leg room and can see all the way forward to the cockpit. I actually flew a middle seat in this row and survived!!!
- sleeping pills - even if I don't sleep, they do help me to relax

Also explain the situation politely to the gate agent and ask if you can preboard so that you have a few extra minutes to get settled.

Good luck - it can be done!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We have flown American and like the leg room space in coach.

avoid NW...knees touch the seat in front you. Very cramped, unless you can get bulkhead.

herc.

My DH became claustrophobic after getting stuck on an elevator. So far, flying hasn't bothered him although the last two trips we've taken on a plane he has taken anti-anxiety medication prescribed by his doctor - alprazolam - which eases his anxiety. Also on our last two trips, Tower of Terror, has started to bother him but he still loves all the coasters and Spaceship Earth so I guess it affects everyone differently. And I always request ground floor at our resort so he doesn't have to use the elevator.

Definitely ask your FIL what he would prefer. It's great that you are so understanding. Good luck.

Donna

I also am claustrophobic and especially when flying on airplanes.
I definately agree with the above post that an aisle seat as close to the front is the best. I like to be as close to the last one on and first one off as possible.
What I also try to do is to grab something to read immediately after I sit down so that I am too engrossed in my magazine or book to notice them closing the door.
And although I don't want to promote alcoholism one drink before I board the plane is a must for afternoon flights. I don't do this for early am flight though:D
I am getting all tense now just thinking about it. I totally understand how your FIL feels!! Good Luck.

Another clostrophobic here. My tricks are the same as above but I pass on the alcohol.
Aisle seat for sure
near the front, very helpful
distract myself immediately with a magazine or book
if able an exit seat
hope the person in front of me doesn't spend the trip with his seat tipped back (very important unless exit seat)
American does have more room between aisles very nice!
Last row bad seems much less room and chair doesn't tip back much if the person in front of you insists on tipping his back

Me too!! That's why I book so early. Then they go and change my flight. Then I have to make numerous calls to get front of plane seating. But I just can't abide looking at all those heads in front of me. It just makes me twitchy and queasy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter