Flying with wheelchair?

lizziepooh

DIS Veteran
I am planning a Disney trip for this fall and one of the ladies is in a wheelchair and has never flown. She is not able to stand to transfer. Has anyone had experience with this? There is no way that her wheelchair would fit down the aisle of the airplanes I have been in. Do they have special seats for wheelchair folks? Are any of the restrooms accessible? I probably should call the airlines but thought maybe some of you have had experiencem with this. Thanks.

She will need to transfer to a special, narrower chair with no arms to get down the jetway and the aisle. Some airline seats have arms that lift up, and that's where she'll be seated.

Some larger aircraft have semi-accessible restrooms (their idea of accessible is far from being even close to ideal), but they are not required to be accessible on the smaller jets.

When you book you MUST let them know that one of your party is not ambulatory. The airline is not resonsible for any lifting, she must provide her own aide for that and to accompany her to the restroom, etc.

Your best bet is to call special services at the carrier of your choice.

Anne

We fly with my mom's wheelchair because we want to have it with us. They roll her down to the plane entrance in her chair and then we gate check the wheel chair. (She can walk onto the plane though.) We always take the foot rests off of the chair and carry them on the plane with us and put them in the overhead bin because the first time we flew- the chair was up waiting for us pronto but they always had to go look for the footrests. (they go off and off easy). I assume your friend has a manual chair. (Different process for an electric. Also, my husband has a friend with MS that has a lot of difficulty transferring to the plane seat. He always flies Southwest because you can preboard and take a seat at the front of the plane. (Most other planes have first class at the front) so they let him drive his electric chair onto the plane- get out of it into the seat and them take the wheelchair down and gate check it. He's kind of a bigger guy and it would be hard for him to get in that little skinny aisle chair that the airlines use. Good luck.

I have traveled with individuals that use wheelchairs for the past 8 years. Southwest airlines is the easiet one to deal with because they have open seating and most wheelchairs can be pushed into the plane to the front row so the person can transfer to a seat.

When you get to the gate go to the desk and let them know that you need to preboard and that you will need a straight-back chair because the person cannot walk onto the plane. Also double-check to make sure that she is in a handicapped-seat. I have never seen a bathroom that is accessible for someone that cannot stand (there is no way to get them down the aisle to the bathroom). We always make sure we use the bathroom right before boarding the plane and as soon as we exit the plane. You will be the last ones off the plane since she will need the straightback to exit. They will have her wheelchair waiting for her at the door of the plane. We usually send someone from our group ahead to start claiming our luggage while we stop at the bathroom. By the time we make it to baggage claim everyone else on the plane is long gone. We usually mark all of our bags with a special bow to make finding them a little easier. One time we didn't have anyone to send ahead because everyone needed the bathroom. By the time we got to baggage claim all of our luggage was already on a cart waiting for us. The Southwest flight attendant had notified the employees in the baggage claim area that it would be a few minutes until we got there. When they saw all the matching bows they figured that they would save us a little time.

I have only had to help lift a couple of times-usually the airline employees have lifted my travelers into their seats.

Remember to allow yourself extra time to get through security since she is unable to walk. Security will have to do a manual check with their wands and maybe even a pat-down.

Most of the airport/airline employees are very helpful if you have any questions.

Have a great trip!!!!

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies. Having never done this before, I wasn't sure how it all works. Southwest doesn't fly out of our city so that isn't an option. I usually get flights on Northwest so I will call them and get details on how they accomodate wheelchair passengers who are unable to stand to transfer. I'm sure we'll be ok with the bathroom issue also as we'll go before boarding. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Be sure to tell them you need bulk head seating. This is the first row in coach. She will then be able to transfer from the isle chair to the seat. We ask to board 10 minutes before they do the other disabled and people with kids boarding. Also remove her seat cushion and anything else that is removable because when they throw it under and I do mean throw it under you don't want the stuff to get lost.

I work for Air Canada, cleaning aircrafts and bathroom accessibility is something I've looked at.

Basically, the best I've seen is the Airbus 330 (big 270 seats, 2 aisles aircraft). There's a block of 4 bathrooms with 2 joined in the middle of the aircraft. When someone who's in a wheelchair gets in, another person goes in the other side, lock that door then remove the wall separating the 2 bathrooms! So, now you got an extra large bathroom with bars, etc.

For smaller aircrafts, the Airbus 319-320-321 are very good. Do NOT fly in CRJ (Canadair Regional Jet). They're insanely cramped, have to walk hunched 50 to 70 seats planes that flies less busy routes. The bathrooms are a cramped thing with barely enough space to sit.

Michigan said:
Be sure to tell them you need bulk head seating.

Depending on the equipment, this statement is not actually accurate.

On many aircraft, including 757's, the bulkheads and/or first rows in coach closest to the doors are often exit rows, and disabled pax can't be seated there.

Anne

Please do your research before reserving a bulkhead!

The armrests in bulkhead seats do not lift, as the tray tables are stowed in them (no seat ahead of the bulkhead seat). Therefore, it is more difficult to transfer a wheelchair passenger in and out of them.

They are also occasionally exit seats; the 757 comes to mind.

The only way my daughter who can not stand at all is able to get into an airline seat is to have bulk head seating and the isle wheelchair pushed where the vacant row is and then slide onto a seat.

Michigan said:
The only way my daughter who can not stand at all is able to get into an airline seat is to have bulk head seating and the isle wheelchair pushed where the vacant row is and then slide onto a seat.

But when that bulkhead seat is in an exit row, she can't sit there, as it is a safety hazard.

Moral of the story is to make sure they understand the situation when you book, book a flight where the bulkhead row is not an exit row, and keep monitoring your flight to make sure the equipment doesn't change.

Unfortunately for your situation more and more carriers are configuring the planes so the exit rows are bulkheads to allow for maximum room for egress in case of emergency.

Anne

I am flying for the first time next week with a wheelchair and this is only my 3rd time flying ever. I don't know what I have to do. My wheelchair has quick release wheels. Is that going to be a problem with them falling off? Anyone that can give me some help on what to do and expect would be really helpful. Thanks.

PurpleDove said:
I am flying for the first time next week with a wheelchair and this is only my 3rd time flying ever. I don't know what I have to do. My wheelchair has quick release wheels. Is that going to be a problem with them falling off? Anyone that can give me some help on what to do and expect would be really helpful. Thanks.
My DD's wheelchairs thru the years have always had quick release wheels. They don't come off easily and are not a problem for the plane. To activate the quick release on my DD's whelchair tires, you need to push in a button and while pushing it in, sort of "shimmy" the wheel off. Hers require some effort and several steps to remove, so they won't just fall off (if they did, it would make for some exciting wheelchair rides).

What you want to do is gate check your wheelchair. That allows you to keep and use it until you board the plane. The wheelchair will be delivered to the gate at your destination (if you have a connecting flight, you may have a choice of having it delivered to the gate at the connecting city or at your final destination or at baggage claim).
Ask about gate checking when you check in for your flight. Sometimes they will give you a gate check tag right then; sometimes they will tell you to get one at the gate. Don't wait until boarding - that is a busy time and the chance of the gate check tag being incorrectly marked increases. We saw someone on our last flight who expected their DD's wheelchair to be delivered to the gate, but my DD and I saw it loaded into the baggage handling cart for delivery to baggage claim (we had an anxious few minutes thinking it might be my other DD's wheelchair).

Be sure to tell them that you need/want to preboard so that you can get on before the other passengers. They used to automatically do this if you had a wheelchair, but in the last few years, we have found that if we don't ask, they don't preboard.
If you can walk a short distance, you can bring the wheelchair right up to the door of the plane (sometimes you can even drive it in to the sort of "lobby" area of the plane). At that point, you would get out and walk to your seat and someone else in your party could get your wheelchair ready to stow. If you can't walk, you can transfer to a skinny wheelchair called an aisle chair. It can be wheeled right down the aisle of the plane and you transfer out when you get to your seat.

If your wheelchair has pieces that DO come off easily, those pieces should be removed before the wheelchair is given to the baggage handlers for stowing (things like armrests that pull off, headrest, seat cushions that are fastened by velcro, or footrests with easily activated swing away features). If the chair can be folded and will stay folded, that may be the best. Make sure to fasten anything like footstraps or seatbelts that could become caught in the wheels if they are hanging down. If the wheelchair will fit in the closet, you do have a right to put it there (although there is no guarantee that a plane will have a closet, that the closet will be big enough or that it will be empty enough for the wheelchair).

I hope this helped. Post more questions if you still need some answers.

Thank you SueM in MN for all the info you gave me. It went real smoothly. They did everything you said that they would. And my wheelchair was waiting for me as I got off the plane. Going thru Long Beach airport instead of LAX was so much easier too. I didn't have to ask for preboard. They did it automactic. And I even got bumped up to first class too. That was a special treat.
Had a nice time in WA. even though it rained the whole time I was there. When I left there they were on their 29th day of rain.
Thanks again for your help about flying with a wheelchair. It helped a lot.

Thanks for letting us know how it went. Glad things went smoothly (and upgrade to First Class is always nice).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter