Food budget for 2 weeks?

amy110

Earning My Ears
I'm going for 2 weeks to Disneyworld and was wondering how much I should budget for myself for food? I'm 18 so no alcohol included, and including tax because I'm British and have no idea how that works (prices shown in UK include tax).

I generally don't eat too much (and American portion sizes are HUGE to me) so breakfast would be in our villa, but I do want to try a few snacks in the park like the Mickey pretzel ect. I would probably be in the parks 10 days and eating table service about 7? The restaurant price type I have in mind are Teppan Edo ect and I don't care much for character dining.

Basically as a breakdown

7 average table service meals
5 counter services lunches ($8-15)
10 snacks (ice cream, prezels egg rolls...)

Most of the foods I want to try are in Epcot also

Thanks!

I'm going for 2 weeks to Disneyworld and was wondering how much I should budget for myself for food? I'm 18 so no alcohol included, and including tax because I'm British and have no idea how that works (prices shown in UK include tax).

I generally don't eat too much (and American portion sizes are HUGE to me) so breakfast would be in our villa, but I do want to try a few snacks in the park like the Mickey pretzel ect. I would probably be in the parks 10 days and eating table service about 7? The restaurant price type I have in mind are Teppan Edo ect and I don't care much for character dining.

Basically as a breakdown

7 average table service meals
5 counter services lunches ($8-15)
10 snacks (ice cream, prezels egg rolls...)

Most of the foods I want to try are in Epcot also

Thanks!

So are you only budgeting for the 10 days in the parks? If so, are you planning 1 meal and 1 snack a day (with 2 days with an extra meal)? That seems awfully light for a plan, although you do know you best:)...

You can get menu prices at allears.net to get a more exact budget. Add 6.5% tax to your meal prices, plus an additional 18%-20% to each of your table service prices. I would plan on some extra meals than what you have listed. I'd be starving if I ate a tiny in-room breakfast and only one real meal per day (and I'm a normal weight). Make sure you factor in beverages if you don't plan on drinking only tap water because drinks add up quick.

I think the meal calculator idea above is a good one. Touring Plans.com has one, too, if you are a member there. There may be others. I typically budget $100 per day for my DD12 and myself.

I usually assume breakfast will be $10 - $12 each, lunch $15 - $20 each and dinner $25 - $40 each. If we eat counter service, we probably eat 3 times that day. If we have a table service meal, we will only eat twice that day. I budget snacks around $5 each. If we eat a snack, we usually split a meal. So, I find it all kind of averages out to around $100 for us. When we do table service, it is usually a character buffet meal, so we try to be really hungry and get our money's worth. That means we won't be hungry for most of the day.

Food budget also depends on where you mostly plan to eat. If staying off-site, your food costs will be lower since Disney food tends to be pricey. You might eat breakfast in your room at the place you are staying and dinner could be at one of the many local restaurants. If you are mostly at a Disney park during the day, lunch would probably be the only meal you eat on the property.

The tax rate in Florida is 6% so for every dollar add .6
We find that disney food is expensive, also depending on what time your table service is you may not need to eat much. We order food from the grocery store (walmart or amazon) and take food with us. And buy icecream or french fries for snack. For our family of 2 adults 2 kids we spent about 50 on a quick brakefast or lunch.
I really like the dining plans so I dont have to worry.

The tax rate in Florida is 6% so for every dollar add .6
We find that disney food is expensive, also depending on what time your table service is you may not need to eat much. We order food from the grocery store (walmart or amazon) and take food with us. And buy icecream or french fries for snack. For our family of 2 adults 2 kids we spent about 50 on a quick brakefast or lunch.
I really like the dining plans so I dont have to worry.
Florida sales tax is 6% but Orange County (where most of Disney World sits) tacks on an additional 0.5%. The determine total cost, multiply the posted price by 1.065.

It sounds like you have a relatively small appetite, and you're planning to eat some food in your room. Are you going to get a grocery order somewhere? Like milk, fruit, yogurt, breakfast cereal, snacks, etc.? Will you be responsible for just your own food, even if you're going with others?

Based on your list, and figuring in a grocery order, for 14 days, with a relatively small appetite, and no alcohol, I am going to guess around $800, give or take $100 or so. There will be some days you eat more, and some days you eat less, probably. It's hard to say, but I think that would be about right.

Are you booking through the US Disney site or the UK one? I know UK has free dining at times, have you looked into that?

As far as budgeting, what type of table service meals are you looking to get? The menus at allearsnet.com are very helpful. For table service, you also need to budget gratuities (15-25%, depending on the person)

Are you booking through the US Disney site or the UK one? I know UK has free dining at times, have you looked into that?

As far as budgeting, what type of table service meals are you looking to get? The menus at allearsnet.com are very helpful. For table service, you also need to budget gratuities (15-25%, depending on the person)

Wow, do people really tip 25%? I've never seen anyone tip that before!

You can get menu prices at allears.net to get a more exact budget. Add 6.5% tax to your meal prices, plus an additional 18%-20% to each of your table service prices. I would plan on some extra meals than what you have listed. I'd be starving if I ate a tiny in-room breakfast and only one real meal per day (and I'm a normal weight). Make sure you factor in beverages if you don't plan on drinking only tap water because drinks add up quick.

THIS!

I set up an excel sheet. Looked up
All our booked meals. And estimated snacks.

I had a column for each person. (You’d only need 1 then), took the total of the meals and multiplied it by .065 (the 6.5% tax) Then that number by .20 (the 20% tip). And that gave me the total for that meal.

Screenshot, if you can see.

660DF8BB-5D35-4576-98A4-911285DFCAB0.jpeg

With a quick google, the regular dining plan is 75.49 per day. I am assuming you are budgeting for 1 person?
As you estimated you were going to buy 7 table service meals, I would multiply this by 7 which would equal approximately 530 plus tax.

This estimate would allow you to budget for 7 table service, 7 quick service, and 14 snacks. This is a few more quick service meals and snacks than you planned which could happen.

What could also happen is you may not be as hungry with the heat.

I want to suggest, buy a gift card for that amount, then if you spend less, you can buy yourself something nice at the end of your trip. Have a fantastic trip!

Wow, do people really tip 25%? I've never seen anyone tip that before!

Yes! We typically inclue a tip of 20-30%. In US culture the minimum is either 15 or 18% depending on the type of restaurant, but we only drop below 20% for truly bad service, and only then if the fault lies with the server, not the kitchen, etc. Unless you are intentionally trying to insult the staff, please plan to tip as expected or avoid table-service restaurants.

Yes! We typically inclue a tip of 20-30%. In US culture the minimum is either 15 or 18% depending on the type of restaurant, but we only drop below 20% for truly bad service, and only then if the fault lies with the server, not the kitchen, etc. Unless you are intentionally trying to insult the staff, please plan to tip as expected or avoid table-service restaurants.

We tip 18-20%. I live in the US, and know the general guidelines. Just had never heard of people regularly tipping 25% before. I don't think I'm insutling anyone. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter