FOP ~ A scaredy cat's POV

HappyMomma

I'd rather be walking down Main Street, USA.
After almost choosing to pass on the BEST ride in Disney World I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake I almost did! So if you are not a huge ride person and are terrified of some I thought I'd post my thoughts and comparisons so no one misses out on something awesome because of fear. :)

I'll start by saying Soarin TERRIFIES me. I spend most of the ride with my face buried in my husbands shoulder and I only peek when we are flying closer to the ground. And even then I feel like I'm going to fall out of the sky. I feel like I'm close to free falling to my death in the building views like the Eiffel Tower and the Castle. I peek and almost pass out and have to look away. My husband says I shake uncontrollably the whole time, but I'm too afraid to notice.

Star Tours, I like this ride and have no issues with it at all. :)

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, not the same, but still relevant, it pushes me just to my edge and I love it. I wouldn't want anything with any steeper drops.

So on to the day that we went to AK to use our FP to board FOP. We had a party of five. We already knew two of them would flake. I was all in if my 17 year old daughter was going on. Well, she decided last minute she was not going. So then I didn't want to go, and then hubby folded. I then had to explain to everyone how difficult it was to secure this freaking FP and SOMEBODY was getting on this darn ride! No takers.

I swallowed down my fear and said, fine I'll go alone!! I felt green. But thankfully my knight in shining armor came to my rescue and joined me.

Now, the whole time I'm in the que my heart is pounding. They are saying things like "fear of heights" "last opportunity to exit". Two ppl dropped out of line and left. *gulp* Then on to the room to stowe our gear, my mouth is dry, hands are sweating, heart is racing! We get on our banshees and two more ppl chicken out. I'm questoning my sanity but I had a 17 year old daughter who'd make me eat crow if I left now.

The ride starts and I look back at the storage area, this made any issues I had go completely away! You can escape any ill feelings by just looking back. The ride is barely moving! yeah! So I muster up my courage and go all in looking at the screen, knowing I had an easy escape by just looking back.

I LOVED the ride!!! Loved, loved, loved it!!! I felt completely secure that my banshee wouldn't allow me to fall! It was exhilarating and beautiful!! I'm so glad I didn't miss out!!!

It was so good that at the end of the ride hubby and I traded bands with the two no goes in our party and we talked 17 year old dd into joining us a second time.

On another note, the woman next to me on the ride was worried because she suffers motion sickness and she felt fine when the ride was over.

I hope this review helps other chickens like me! Don't miss out if you are on the fence! Just do it! You won't regret it!

Last edited:
After almost choosing to pass on the BEST ride in Disney World I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake I almost did! So if you are not a huge ride person and are terrified of some I thought I'd post my thoughts and comparisons so no one misses out on something awesome because of fear. :)

I'll start by saying Soarin TERRIFIES me. I spend most of the ride with my face buried in my husbands shoulder and I only peek when we are flying closer to the ground. And even then I feel like I'm going to fall out of the sky. I feel like I'm close to free falling to my death in the building views like the Eiffel Tower and the Castle. I peek and almost pass out and have to look away. My husband says I shake uncontrollably the whole time, but I'm too afraid to notice.

Star Tours, I like this ride and have no issues with it at all. :)

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, not the same, but still relevant, it pushes me just to my edge and I love it. I wouldn't want anything with any steeper drops.

So on to the day that we went to AK to use our FP to board FOP. We had a party of five. We already knew two of them would flake. I was all in if my 17 year old daughter was going on. Well, she decided last minute she was not going. So then I didn't want to go, and then hubby folded. I then had to explain to everyone how difficult it was to secure this freaking FP and SOMEBODY was getting on this darn ride! No takers.

I swallowed down my fear and said, fine I'll go alone!! I felt green. But thankfully my knight in shining armor came to my rescue and joined me.

Now, the whole time I'm in the que my heart is pounding. They are saying things like "fear of heights" "last opportunity to exit". Two ppl dropped out of line and left. *gulp* Then on to the room to stowe our gear, my mouth is dry, hands are sweating, heart is racing! We get on our banshees and two more ppl chicken out. I'm questoning my sanity but I had a 17 year old daughter who'd make me eat crow if I left now.

The ride starts and I look back at the storage area, this made any issues I had go completely away! You can escape any ill feelings by just looking back. The ride is barely moving! yeah! So I muster up my courage and go all in looking at the screen, knowing I had an easy escape by just looking back.

I LOVED the ride!!! Loved, loved, loved it!!! I felt completely secure that my banshee wouldn't allow me to fall! It was exhilarating and beautiful!! I'm so glad I didn't miss out!!!

It was so good that at the end of the ride hubby and I traded bands with the two no goes in our party and we talked 17 year old dd into joining us a second time.

On another note, the woman next to me on the ride was worried because she suffers motion sickness and she felt fine when the ride was over.

I hope this review helps other chickens like me! Don't miss out if you are on the fence! Just do it! You won't regret it!

I am so glad that you posted this. I am not a thrill seeker by any means. I went on and felt completely secure. I closed my eyes on one drop or if I felt weird. I completely enjoyed the ride and I enjoyed it so much better the second time because I could appreciate the whole experience. Please give it a try. Don't miss out I agree you wont regret it at all.

Thanks so much for posting your feelings/thoughts/review. My poor sister is always having to go on rides solo because I am a chicken. I mostly fear the stomach churning coming out of your seat feeling. I have never been on Tower of Terror :sad2: & screamed for my life on Everest.:sad:
However, I do love Soarin' & it doesn't bother me in the least because I know I am basically rooted to my seat not going anywhere surrounded by a big screen. Your experience & tips give me the extra confidence that I am sure I will be fine. I watched a few you tube videos too and definitely see no reason for any apprehension. :hyper2: So thanks again!
It will be great to have the Banshee experience with my sis in November :flower:

Going on the wrong ride can be a vacation ruiner. I have an inner ear imbalance due to allergies....and mission space the spinny one...does me in. I can not do loops, no backwards, and nothing that would spin me in a circle.

I have ridden the simpsons simulator at Universal and was sick..sick sick. The bright colors the images were so fast and slightly out of focus was my downfall. No problems with Soarin. But I have had a minior issue with old star tours.

If I make a bad decision and ride a ride that triggers a severe dizzy episode, my vacation is ruined. There is a big fear there. My worst episode left me unable to get out of bed or even move my head for 3 days...I slept sitting up. No, I won’t die, but image riding a merry go round continuously for 3 days, where the slightest head turn can make the room spin 360. Since this is not an upside down or spinny ride I should be ok, but I totally understand the Trip Ruined fear.

I agree with OP on this. I did both Soarin’ and FOP for the first time on our last trip. I’m normally not nervous on rides, but was not a fan of Soarin much at all, if my feet are on something I’m fine, but having my feet dangle really got my nerves up the entire ride. FOP was totally different. Feet never leave the ground, and looking back at the storage area occasionally really helped me out. For the 2 rides to be so similar in basic design, the difference in the ride vehicles made it so much different for me.

Going on the wrong ride can be a vacation ruiner.

I agree, and since my development of vertigo several years ago, I wouldn't dare take a chance on FoP. Not that I think it would be "scary" in any way. Just due to the fact that because of my inner ear issues, it would leave me feeling nauseated throughout (like Star Tours does), unfortunately.

I think it is the ride vehicle that freaks people out on FOP. My 8 year old daughter walked in and then right back out. I exited with her and DH rode. While he was riding a CM talked her into giving it a try. They took us into the next preshow. She did it and loved it. The seats are definitely different than any other attraction. She yelled at the beginning of the ride, I see other people over there on the left. I think that was the same for her as looking back for the OP. It reminded her it was just a ride.

Last edited:
Going on the wrong ride can be a vacation ruiner. I have an inner ear imbalance due to allergies....and mission space the spinny one...does me in. I can not do loops, no backwards, and nothing that would spin me in a circle.

I have ridden the simpsons simulator at Universal and was sick..sick sick. The bright colors the images were so fast and slightly out of focus was my downfall. No problems with Soarin. But I have had a minior issue with old star tours.

If I make a bad decision and ride a ride that triggers a severe dizzy episode, my vacation is ruined. There is a big fear there. My worst episode left me unable to get out of bed or even move my head for 3 days...I slept sitting up. No, I won’t die, but image riding a merry go round continuously for 3 days, where the slightest head turn can make the room spin 360. Since this is not an upside down or spinny ride I should be ok, but I totally understand the Trip Ruined fear.

I feel horrible for anyone with these issues. My son has sinus/vertigo. He can't go on the teacups, but he can enjoy Star Tours just fine. He did NOT go on FOP.

I agree with OP on this. I did both Soarin’ and FOP for the first time on our last trip. I’m normally not nervous on rides, but was not a fan of Soarin much at all, if my feet are on something I’m fine, but having my feet dangle really got my nerves up the entire ride. FOP was totally different. Feet never leave the ground, and looking back at the storage area occasionally really helped me out. For the 2 rides to be so similar in basic design, the difference in the ride vehicles made it so much different for me.

The vehicle is definitely a huge factor. I felt so solid and secure on FOP.

Thank you so much for this review!!!! I am feeling hopeful that I may give it a try this summer. Last summer I wasn't brave enough. Can anyone compare it to the Harry Potter ride in Universal? I forget the name-I think Forbidden something...I could not handle that one at all. I felt like throwing up the entire time. I was sick and unsteady for 3 hours after the ride. My dd said FOP is just like it and I wouldn't be able to do it.

Great review. I would feel bad after securing FP for FOP and having everyone back out too. Glad you stuck it out. I don't have any problems with motion sickness but was concerned about feeling secure on my "banshee".

Thank you for posting. My DD9 isn't a ride kid. She rides 7DMT and just last year started to enjoy BTMR. She likes Soarin but I've been wondering if she was going to be ok on FOP. From the sounds of your review she'll probably be fine.

FOP is not as intense as Forbidden Journey. That ride was a once and done for me. Never again.

Having said that, FOP is intense, in my opinion. I find it very immersive. I scream my head off, but I keep going back for more. I’ve ridden it at least 10x and it’s still as intense as the first time for me. I’m not sure why. I just feel as though I’m actually riding that darn banshee. It’s sooooo much fun. Definitely a must do.

I agree that for me it's much less scary than Soarin'. On Soarin' I quite often had that sense of falling and spent the whole ride clutching for dear life. Don't get me wrong--we did it again, but it's a little traumatic. I never got that sense of falling or even the feeling that I could fall on FOP--it really does feel like you're flying. It didn't bother either of us at all.

I have very minor motion sickness. I was SO SICK on FOP. The first dive and I was miserable. I prayed I wouldn’t vomit. I hated it and will never go again.

I have very minor motion sickness. I was SO SICK on FOP. The first dive and I was miserable. I prayed I wouldn’t vomit. I hated it and will never go again.
Oh no! I have motion sickness and have been debating riding FOP. We have fast passes for it. I’m hoping that if I wear Seabands and take Bonnie it might be enough to get through it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter