FOP-Rope Drop or Closing?

Which would you do if riding FOP?

• Rope Drop

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • Get in Line Right at Closing

Votes: 43 60.6%

• Total voters
I rope dropped FOP, with a breakdown I was still out by 9:30am. Rope drop is a lot more controlled than I have ever seen it. There is not a rope anymore, there is a line of cast members that walk you to the ride and tell you off if you run/push. I left for AK around 7:20am from the resort, got there around 7:35am, they let you into the park around 8:30am. There was a 3 step movement towards FOP. First stop was before the bridge, that is where the cast member control started. Than there was the movement over the bridge, followed by the movement to the line. I had never seen rope drop that controlled, but it seems to be resort wide because the same thing happened at DHS.

How successful you are at RD depends on Disney and how many theatres are running. Recent reports have them running all 4 theatres constantly now. So that allows you a lot more wiggle-room to RD FOP and still be a manageable wait.

Although it's close, I'm kind of surprised that Closing is leading in the poll. There are so many more Roper Droppers than Closers in the parks that I thought sure that Rope Drop would run away with the vote.

Neither, perhaps.

Rope-dropping it has been a very unpleasant experience the last couple times I attempted. First of all, you really have to arrive at 6:30 or so to be sure you are at the front on a day that AK opens at 9. That means you can't take the disney transportation, but have to either drive or get an uber or lyft. Then, if you have anything holding you back, slow person in your party, stroller or you just aren't aggressive, people will push past you and you will still have an hour wait. Now, an hour wait doesn't sound bad, but, you have to add that extra 2.5 hours early that you were there, making your wait 3.5 hours. Granted, you weren't paying for that park time, but, time isn't free either.

Okay, so I didn't even really mind that I had an hour wait. I was one of the first people there and ended up an hour behind the front in the stampede BUT I was stuck listening to this really aggressive guy complain and threaten people. He kept trying to start physical confrontations and it was over a half hour of that before Disney removed the guy. He had shown up right before the park opened and bullied his way up a lot farther than he should have been and was still threatening people ahead of him. If I'm being honest, that ruined my morning. It made the people around me anxious, it made me anxious and it just really took away from the whole experience. My spouse though doesn't have anxiety and he wouldn't care at all about that sort of interaction. He would forget it 15 minutes later and it wouldn't ruin his day. If you're more like that, maybe ropedropping FOP is your thing. :)

I passed the ride again around 2 pm and the end of the line was way up in the normal queue, probably less than a 2 hour wait. The better strategy that day would have been to arrive for rope drop and head straight back to the safari, enjoy the Gorilla Falls trail, ride everest, possibly even do the Dinosaur area and then wander back over and wait in the FOP queue later when it was less hectic. In the afternoon, people expect to wait and you get a bit less of that pushing ahead headache that's so unpleasant to deal with. The wait times for FOP are often quite overstated. If you walk up the queue and the line end is near the painted caves, you likely have around or possible less than a 2 hour wait. The queue is themed very nicely too and really pleasant to stand in as far as lines go. :) My best wait there was around an hour and a half right in the middle of the afternoon. It was raining anyways and I had stopped and gotten an adult beverage first which I put in my travel mug. The people waiting around me had also expected it to be a long wait and I chatted with some other people it turned out I was familiar with from another Disney forum and overall it was just a nice, chill experience.

I can't offer an opinion on the line at closing, I have yet to do that. I've done rope drop and I've caught it again later in the day, I just loop through there a couple times and as soon as the line is up high where I can't see it from the line entrance, I go ahead and line up.
You convinced me! Wonderful plan to avoid the mob and take a nice safari ride first thing in the morning. Really, I've heard a lot of how aggressive the crowd can get trying to be first. Even in MK I plan to pass 7DMT, for a more pleasant experience. I guess it depends on the person, if you can handle it.

What about getting in line for River Journey before closing time? Could we get a short wait for that ride if we get in line for it, say, 30 min. before closing, then still be able to get in line for FOP?

What about getting in line for River Journey before closing time? Could we get a short wait for that ride if we get in line for it, say, 30 min. before closing, then still be able to get in line for FOP?

I think you're pushing your luck with that. Maybe if you go an hour before with a 40 minute or less posted waiting time, you might get away with it.

Got in line at closing last week with a 60-70 minute showing. About 20 minutes in, it became a non-stop moving line cause fast pass line ran out. Rope Drop, you're already waiting an hour and a half likely just to ride it at park open.

I think you're pushing your luck with that. Maybe if you go an hour before with a 40 minute or less posted waiting time, you might get away with it.

Okay, thanks. I ask because we don't have any FPs for River Journey (we do have four FOP FPs instead!). We plan to ride it at rope drop, but if we like it a lot, we will try at closing, too.

We're trying to do FOP at closing tonight. Wondering how late before closing we'd safely be able to enter the line (and the park itself). we were going to try to go to Boma for dinner as a late afternoon/early evening break, and then come back into AK just for FOP- but should I be worried about getting back in with enough time (park closes at 9 today). The other option is to get in line for FOP around 7:30 and then head to Boma at 9:15 after closing. Any thoughts on trying this? If it seems too crazy, we can eat there another day instead.

We did both (and had a FP).

For rope drop, we arrived at AK by 7:15, we went straight through bag check (no wait) and were second in line at tapstyles. We were let through around 8ish (9:00 opening) then walked to Pandora and stopped on the bridge until about 8:45. We got on FoP right away and were in the gift shop by 9:10.

We decided last minute to do FoP on our second AK day at closing. Got in line at about 8:15 and waited a little over an hour. The line was quite enjoyable and since it was night it was not too hot and very pretty to look out over Pandora. I preferred the riding at closing. It's an awesome ride and I'm grateful we got to do it three times.

Last week, we got in line at 8:20 pm. Posted wait time was 85 minutes. We walked out of the ride building at 9:05. We are normally rope drop people, but this ride works really well at closing.

We did both (and had a FP).

For rope drop, we arrived at AK by 7:15, we went straight through bag check (no wait) and were second in line at tapstyles. We were let through around 8ish (9:00 opening) then walked to Pandora and stopped on the bridge until about 8:45. We got on FoP right away and were in the gift shop by 9:10.

We decided last minute to do FoP on our second AK day at closing. Got in line at about 8:15 and waited a little over an hour. The line was quite enjoyable and since it was night it was not too hot and very pretty to look out over Pandora. I preferred the riding at closing. It's an awesome ride and I'm grateful we got to do it three times.

So it sounds like 2 hours in the morning or 1 hour at night. That's probably why night is leading in the poll.

Love all of these great experiences for riding it at closing. Has anyone tried to ride it during ROL? When does the line typically seem to decrease?

So it sounds like 2 hours in the morning or 1 hour at night. That's probably why night is leading in the poll.

In my opinion, the night wait was much more comfortable. Much cooler and you don't have the frantic running and are not a squished. Plus you get to see the whole queue, which was really cool.

Love all of these great experiences for riding it at closing. Has anyone tried to ride it during ROL? When does the line typically seem to decrease?

We hopped in line around 8:15 (we had seen Rivers of Light on first AK day), but according to the app the wait times were pretty steady all day. However, our wait time said 120 and we waited closer to 60

I have a couple FP+s for FoP for our November trip, but if we want to do it again I plan to do the "get in line a bit before closing" thing.
I have seen lots of reports of aggressive, not-so-fun behavior at rope drop and I just don't want to deal with a huge crowd.

We're going in February and the RD talk has made me not want to do that. I'm hoping we can just get FP's, but if we can't I'm planning on waiting until late afternoon and maybe riding a second time at closing. I don't mind waiting because I don't imagine we will wait long for anything else there. I like the idea of heading the complete opposite direction of everyone else at RD. It will be fun to ride Everest and the safari first without a big crowd. We did RD at MK this March and went straight to 7DMT, but that wasn't nearly as bad as what I've heard for FOP.

I do have a question, though. If we want to watch ROL, will we still be able to ride FOP after?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter