For 1st Caribbean cruise, more or fewer Ports of Call?

DrPhysics

Earning My Ears
We're considering two Caribbean cruise options for our family of 5 (3 boys: 4, 6, 8): Eastern and Southern.

Southern, out of San Juan, visits 4 islands in addition to Puerto Rico, of course.
Eastern visits 3 islands, including one stop at Castaway Cay, and has one more day at sea.

I lean towards visiting more islands (Southern), but I know many enjoy the days at sea and Castaway Cay.

What would you recommend for a first Disney cruise?

My DS10 would vote for more sea days. While he has enjoyed the excursions we've gone on, they can be tiring and a day at sea gives you a chance to experience what the ship has to offer as well - pool, slides, kids club, activities, etc. I would vote for less ports with younger children.

Ok so take my opinion with a grain of salt because I took my first cruise in 20 years this past winter. But I would vote for more ports. Personally, I love seeing new places. I’m also a huge beach person and I love catamaran snorkel trips.

I like the option to get off the boat and go to a beach, explore, have lunch, etc. You can always go back to the boat early in the day, or you can skip a port altogether and it’ll be so much quieter than a sea day where everyone’s stuck on the boat.

You should also consider what time of year you’re going. Castaway Cay is great and all but if you’re going in winter, the Bahamas can be kind of iffy in terms of weather. And the water will be cold.

Personally, for us the more sea days the better. The ship is the destination and the ports are extra for us. Think about what you will be doing in port. Is that what you are all going to enjoy the most? Or will it be the ship activities - kids clubs, character interactions, etc. If you are beach people, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to do Castaway Cay. Especially with smaller children, it's the easiest island beach break you will have. (Restroom, activities, food all close by and already included in your cruise fare!)

With the age of your children, I would consider what islands each cruise will visit and the type of excursions you would want to do. The Eastern usually goes to Nassau. I could live the rest of my life without going there again. Same for Jamaica (although I did enjoy climbing the waterfall but not sure your youngest could do it). Grand Cayman has good beaches and other excursions your children might enjoy. Castaway Cay is great of course but, as mentioned, can be chilly and windy in Jan /Feb. We did the southern this February and enjoyed it because we had never been to any of those islands. My husband is not a water person so we did not do any beach excursions --- mostly tours which bored some of the kids on the excursion.

Just got back from our first cruise. Our expeditions at Cozumel got cancelled and we never got around to getting off the ship and that's the secret: The extra sea day doesn't matter because you don't have to get off and spending time on the ship at port means the Mickey pool is pleasantly uncrowded, there's a 15 not 30 minute wait for the Aquaduck, and you can get your choice of table at Cabanas for lunch.

I gotta say that Castaway Cay is really really nice and that's from someone who lives on Cape Cod, 15 minutes from a beach, and doesn't particularly like beaches all that much in general. If this is your first cruise, I'd go for something that stops there. I had every expectation of being underwhelmed by Castaway and it was just fantastic.

For a 7 day Caribbean cruise I prefer 3 ports (not including private islands). The private island is nice but not a must for me.

For a Mediterranean cruise I say the more ports the better. But then I love exploring European cities.

You didn't mention the ships. I assume the southern is on the Wonder? How about the Eastern? Fantasy? That plays a role too.

I really loved the Wonder last summer, but the Fantasy had some really cool added features like the aquaduck and midship detectives agency. We were in Alaska so ports kept us from even exploring the full ship, but with lots of sea days you might prefer the larger ship.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

My wife and I love more sea days over ports of call but that being said; as many have already posted you can turn a port call into a day at sea (sort of).

We have done this and again as many have posted it makes everything easier to partake in because of shorter lines. You can still take some time to get off the ship and sightsee if you please. When we did sign up for an excursion; once finished we spent very little time roaming around the port. We love signing up for activities on board and not everything has an additional cost to partake.

My wife and I love more sea days over ports of call but that being said; as many have already posted you can turn a port call into a day at sea (sort of).

We have done this and again as many have posted it makes everything easier to partake in because of shorter lines. You can still take some time to get off the ship and sightsee if you please. When we did sign up for an excursion; once finished we spent very little time roaming around the port. We love signing up for activities on board and not everything has an additional cost to partake.
Most things do not have an additional charge. The only things with an extra charge are things like the spa, tastings and Palo/Remy.

With the age of your kids, I'd go with more days on the ship vs. more days in port. Port touring wears them out, and at that age, I could barely tear mine away from the ship. Now that they're older (8 and 11) they are more interested in where we're going than the boat, but for your 4 & 6 year old especially, I would foresee far fewer meltdowns with one less port day. There is PLENTY to do on the ship to occupy them (and you!), esp. since it's your first cruise where everything will be new.

Agreed, our daughter was bored when we got off the ship. For her, the cruise was the ship. The Aquaduck, the Mickey Pool, the Club, and the characters...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter