"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

We are finally heading out Friday early evening from MA. We are driving down 95 straight through the night. We usually stop for an early b- fast in South Carolina and pull into our condo north of Orlando mid afternoon.
We have a brunch ADR at Cali grill Sunday morning- can’t wait!!!

@ddluvsdisney We’ll be heading out behind you from SE MA, sort of, leaving at 4am on Saturday morning. Not driving down all the way (autotrain), but we will be driving the whole way home on the 22nd. Safe travels and enjoy your Cali Grill brunch!!

I sincerely do not mean to gloat, but you all make me grateful that I travel South thru Arkansas and Mississippi then go East along the Gulf Coast.

I appreciate the fact that I do not have to deal with traffic around major cities. I do travel mostly country roads in Mississippi, but virtually no traffic. And no major hang ups in Mobile or Tallahassee which are the cities I drive thru.

I sincerely do not mean to gloat, but you all make me grateful that I travel South thru Arkansas and Mississippi then go East along the Gulf Coast.

I appreciate the fact that I do not have to deal with traffic around major cities. I do travel mostly country roads in Mississippi, but virtually no traffic. And no major hang ups in Mobile or Tallahassee which are the cities I drive thru.
I am jealous!!
We drive through the night bc NY and DC/ Virginia traffic is so awful!!

What a fun thread!

My 2K+ drives are Chicago to Orlando in 1973, 1998, and 2001.

My 2K+ drives from Tulsa to Orlando are three trips in 2017 in March, July, and December.

So, 6 times so far and next trip is in 60 days and then another in October.

We truly love driving and it's nice to see others drive, as well.

We did figure out to NOT drive through Georgia anymore and we now go through Alabama. It cuts about 4 hours off total on the road time per trip.

Leaving at midnight to head to Disney's Hilton Head Island versus DW this year. Going to basically do the same route as before....95 all the way. We will keep you posted.

If you arriving at WDW today, expect "cool" temperatures in the upper 60s, since a cold front came to town after that massive nasty weather system which extended from Florida to Canada yesterday. However, temperatures over the next week will be in the 80s!

All the best! :thumbsup2

I77 approaching Charlotte...
For anyone that has done I77 S recently how has the traffic been approaching Charlotte.
Last year when we did the drive there was a construction area north of Charlotte where the traffic came to a crawl.
Basically went from highway speed to 5-10mph for a few miles.... this was on a Saturday in April.
We need to make the drive again this year (alas not to Disney but to Atlanta) and have to decide whether to take I81 to I77 and then I85 or I81 to I26 to I85. We would be hitting Charlotte on a Friday morning (after rush hour) in August.

We went in Feb and there was lots of construction down to two lanes in places (and south of Columbia as well) for lane additions. Could be gone by now, but it was painful in places.

We made great time taking 95 south the entire way from RI to Hilton Head. Left at midnight on Saturday and arrived at 3:20. Nothing at all through Virginia which is always a question on the way down.

Instead of taking I4 to exit 68 isn't there an alternate toll road route? I know I read it on this board but I can't find it now.

Ahh, this thread is a new discovery for me!

We have driven round trip from NYC in 2015, 2016, and 2017 in late June/early July. Me, my wife, and our triplets (6 years old in '15).

First two trips in a 2009 Toyota Sienna, last year's in a '17 Honda Odyssey. As far as gas goes, roughly 3.5 tanks each way.

We usually leave around 4AM and have been fortunate to not run into heavy traffic anywhere except in 2015 due to a stalled vehicle on I-95 near Richmond that for some reason didn't pull off to the shoulder.

To our surprise, the kids have always been fantastic in the car on these trips.

The first two years we stopped in Santee, SC overnight. Last year we went all the way to Savannah, GA. We have stayed overnights at Hampton Inn which I think has become my favorite reasonably priced national chain.

For our return trips, we've gone straight through. I kind of hate it, but at the same time it's kind of nice just being back home and having an extra day to decompress instead of spending 6 hours in the car...and my wife really likes getting home in one shot, as exhausting as that drive is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter