For everyone who wants to do this... but is scared to start

What a great thread.

A year ago I weighed 317, was depressed, and lethargic. I started dieting using myfitnesspal, then rejoined the Y to do water aerobics.

The first of this year, weighing 225, I told myself, "you can become a really good walker/hiker". I didn't feel capable of even starting with a couch to 5K program, so am now on week 5 of Jeff Galloway's "beginners" plan http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners/

When I first did 2 miles this past week, I got off the treadmill in (happy) tears. When my DS came home from college this weekend, and we went on a two hour hike through the state forest, I wept again, for being able to have this shared experience with him.

Will I ever get to a half marathon? I don't know. But I do know I feel better than I ever have in my life.

If I can, anyone can. One foot in front of the other....

Terri

I often tell people that I, too, am that proverbial "If *I* can do it, ANYBODY can do it" person. In early 2012, I got it in my mind to run the 2013 WDW marathon. I started training in Feb 2012. I thought I'd be able to knock out a mile. Nope. I made it 1/4 mile and had to stop. It took me 7 weeks to make it up to 2 miles - so you have me beat already!

In June I survived a 10K. By late August I completed a local Half and by mid-October I did my first marathon. So, yes, you'll get to a half marathon and, if you want it, most definitely beyond!

This spring is my 10 year "run-iversary." I set out to run a 5K because the trainers at the gym ragged on me (jokingly) for reading while walking on the treadmill. I ended up doing a 10K instead, and have no clue how many races I have run since. Doing two half's in April--one local, then Dark Side. The obstacles some of you have had to overcome are just amazingly inspirational. Makes the "hard to find time" argument (that I sometimes use) really hard to justify. Every one of you should be so proud not just of what you've done, but of coming here and sharing such personal stories to help inspire others. And you never know when YOUR story is what will get someone through their next challenging moment. That deserves an imaginary medal right there!

I really needed to find this thread today. I'm in the process of trying to shed 60 lbs. I've completed the 21 Day Fix twice and have lost 11 lbs so far. We're going to Disney in October and I thought the PERFECT motivation to start running again would be to complete the Tower of Terror 10 miler. Found out last night that it's probably not happening ever again :( so there goes that. I've never been a great runner and was more of a short distance athlete. I needed some awesome race to look for to in order to convince myself that I was capable of running that far. SO..plans have changed. Still going to Disney in October but 2 weeks before we leave, I'll be running in the Philly Rock-N-Roll Half Marathon. Everyone who has posted on this thread so far has been awesome. Keep up whatever goal you're trying to achieve!

This post is for everyone like me that reads this board and really wants to do this, but is scared. Scared that : you're too old, too fat, too out of shape. What if people laugh at me? Forget all that; we can do it if we want to. I ran/walked 2016 Princess half and afterwards quit running. I wish I had kept it up, but today I started over again and have my sights set on 2017 Star Wars half. That gives me roughly 5 months before registration to get with it and convince my husband I'm serious again about this again.

So, if you are dreaming about doing a RunDisney race, go for it. My best advice is just start. Read these boards and be inspired by others, but remember the only person you are competing with is yourself. Let's be a Nike ad and "Just Do IT"!

If any of you fantastic experienced RunDisney racers have any advice I would love to hear it. I think this is such a great community. It always is really encouraging and helpful to everyone.

Is there a local 10k that you can register for to motivate you to keep moving? And to try to get as good a POT as a you can? Maybe try to find something like a Turkey Trot 2016? If you're aiming for the Star Wars half in WDW then that would probably mean you have to submit your proof of time by January, so a 10k in November or December as your "motivation" and proof of time race might be perfect ;)

Loving this thread!

Running has changed my life and while I am NO expert I do have a few things that helped me get to where I am.

- If you're new to running do a Couch to 5k! I did this to run my first race (Everest Challenge) and it worked better than I could ever have imagined. I had always hated running but C25K helped me learn to do it little by little.
- When I first started running I did not pay attention to my speed. I just told myself that as long as I wasn't walking I was good. Running for 30 minutes straight was my first goal and this way of thinking really worked for me.
- Make your runs something you can look forward to. I am a lover of Disney podcasts and I would save my podcasts to listen to while I was running. So not only was a Disney race my motivation but I got to look forward to hearing about Disney during my training runs, too!
- Like some others have said, finding a training plan that works best for YOUR schedule is really important. The Galloway runDisney plans are great but if they don't work timing wise with what's going on in your life there are plenty of others out there. I have done both Disney and non-Disney plans and they all work as long as you finish them! Do some research and find what's best for you.
- Mantras really work. I love what some previous posters have said about changing "have to" to "want to" and the "improvement zone." I'll be stealing those! A mantra that really worked when I am in the middle of a run that's long for me is "your legs are not tired, your brain is tired. Keep going!" I think I heard Jillian Michaels say this and it can be so true about running. Yes, your legs certainly do get tired, but sometimes if you really think about it you may just be getting bored after running for a while which can trick you into wanting to stop.

There's so much more I could say but I'll stop there!

Just know that Disney is an AMAZING place to run. I have never run a race where I have felt as motivated and supported as I do at Disney. Enjoy the process of learning to run and know that you are in for an incredible experience!

I was never able to stick with the C25K because I'm so good at the couch part of it. Then a Fleet Feet store opened up just down the road, so in January of '15 I signed up for the No Boundaries 5k 10 week training course. Because I had people waiting on me I made sure I showed up for the group runs. Personal connections, accountability help many of us along the road to our first 5k's. When Disney announced an inaugural Dark Side Half I had to sign up for it. That meant I had to train for a 10k by January for proof of time so i trained through the holidays. After that 10k I had to step up and train for a half. This month I've broken my furthest distance every Saturday morning. It's the most mind blowing thing to say "I ran 13 miles this morning." 13 Miles! at 52!!! I damn sure couldn't have run it at 37 i'll tell you that. Use Disney as your motivation, reward your hard work with a few days in the Happiest Place on Earth. I found this quote to be most helpful "Run if you can. Walk if you have to. Crawl if you must. Just never give up."

I NEEDED to read this today so thank you to all for sharing! We (my husband and I) are signed uo for the Disneyland 5k and 10k and we have NEVER run in our lifes, well nothing like this... I HAVE to loose weight in the process and, to be honest, just really started trying about a over a month ago, so far 10 pounds but I am sloooow, get tired but I will not give up!

For those of you that say your slow or think your slow...it doesn't matter. There are probably very few on this board that are ever going to win a race. My wife has a great motto..."I don't compete, I complete". It may take her awhile to do it, but she doesn't quit and she gets to the finish line. It's not the fastest time and it's not the slowest, but the only thing that matters is that she finishes. The key is to run your own race and not worry about how fast or slow others are. This is one time that it really is all about you! If you put your mind to it, there is nothing that you cannot accomplish.

This is great wisdom. Whatever speed you're moving, it's ALWAYS going to be faster than standing still! Slow progress is still progress. Don't ever let your speed stop you from trying.

And another mantra I forgot, from my friend who ran my very first race with me 10 years ago next month "the only person you're racing out here is yourself." As long as you feel like you did something that day, it's a victory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter