For those folks driving!

We are 2 adults and 2 boys driving from Chicago. We are leaving Thursday 8/10 around 5:30pm we will venture through Indianpolis, Louisville, KY, Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta etc. We are planning on driving straight through with the exception of gas and potty breaks. I'm planning on driving the 1st part as I have horrible motion sickness and cannot truely sleep in a moving vehicle. Hopefully I can get us 9-10 hours down the road; then hubby will drive the last leg and I can doze or play games with our grandsons. GPS says 17 hours without stops so I'm guessing about 20 hours one way

I suggest you do not drive through Atlanta before 9 AM or after 3 PM. If you do, you're likely to lose a good hour or more in traffic. After driving as much as you'll be driving, that is definitely not what you want to go through. Atlanta traffic is horrendous (having lived in various places in the US, I can say this is one of the worst I have ever experienced). Accidents are a daily thing, people drive like self-entitled you-know-whats and rush hour makes living hell out of everyone. In fact, people choose where to live based on where they work in the city, because a 12 mile commute could be 30 minutes or could be an hour and a half. Avoid rush AM or PM hour and you should be fine.

Also, in case you are not familiar with the FL Turnpike, you'll need quarters. I forget how much I spent each way, but it was something like $3.00 or so (two toll booths). The toll booths may be manned or may not, and if they're not you'll be fined if you drive through without paying. FL does not make life easy for the tourist. Make sure to bring plenty of quarters and you'll be just fine.

Above all, have an amazing time!!!!

pooh:

I suggest you do not drive through Atlanta before 9 AM or after 3 PM. If you do, you're likely to lose a good hour or more in traffic. After driving as much as you'll be driving, that is definitely not what you want to go through. Atlanta traffic is horrendous (having lived in various places in the US, I can say this is one of the worst I have ever experienced). Accidents are a daily thing, people drive like self-entitled you-know-whats and rush hour makes living hell out of everyone. In fact, people choose where to live based on where they work in the city, because a 12 mile commute could be 30 minutes or could be an hour and a half. Avoid rush AM or PM hour and you should be fine.

Also, in case you are not familiar with the FL Turnpike, you'll need quarters. I forget how much I spent each way, but it was something like $3.00 or so (two toll booths). The toll booths may be manned or may not, and if they're not you'll be fined if you drive through without paying. FL does not make life easy for the tourist. Make sure to bring plenty of quarters and you'll be just fine.

Above all, have an amazing time!!!!

pooh:

I've driven the leg before so Atlanta doesn't bother me. We fully expect to lose the time there. There is no way we can hit Atlanta after 9am, so we are hoping to at least get there around 530am-ish. Traffic will be what it will be; we are use to rush hours in Chicago.

We have a Sunpass for the turnpike so no cash needed. In the Chicago area you will almost always need a Toll Pass account to get around. Tolls here are crazy high, and with an account, you pay half of the cash price. We also have to use tolls to go to Ohio so see my Mother-In-Law. So it was a no brainer to just get one for Florida as well.

This is a long shot but last year on our way home to PA, we got rerouted at one point (I think off 95). We ended up going through this really neat area where the tree branches were all hanging over the road. I have no idea of the town or area. I'm pretty sure we were running parallel to whatever road we were supposed to be on and there was a train track between us. I think maybe possibly it was after Savannah GA but honestly the entire ride home was pretty much a blur of exhaustion. Does anyone have any idea of where I might be talking about? We would voluntarily reroute ourselves to find it again this year...

Hello all...
I am hoping for some recommendations for a hotel stop 3-4 hours outside of St. Louis (going through Atlanta). We usually stay at Hamptom style hotels. Safe, inside rooms. Traveling with 2 yo and 3 year olds. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Heading out about 8:pm on Sunday night after work. Thanks in advance!

For friends driving to WDW on 95 from points north of the North Carolina and South Carolina border..... There is ongoing roadwork along the Pee Dee river bridge. About 15 miles or so south of South of the Border, expect traffic delays. We waitied about 45 minutes. I suggest your bladder is empty and your gas tank full before you get there.

For friends driving to WDW on 95 from points north of the North Carolina and South Carolina border..... There is ongoing roadwork along the Pee Dee river bridge. About 15 miles or so south of South of the Border, expect traffic delays. We waitied about 45 minutes. I suggest your bladder is empty and your gas tank full before you get there.
Do they do this road work on weekends that you know of? Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the heads up! Leaving in about 25 days so will keep a watch on this. We got delayed OTW once on the other side of this bridge, took us an hour to go 13 miles:scared1:

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up! Leaving in about 25 days so will keep a watch on this. We got delayed OTW once on the other side of this bring, took us an hour to go 13 miles:scared1:

You are welcome. It's very extensive work, so I would bet that they'll still be working on it when you leave for your trip. Safe travels, and tell Mickey I miss him!

You are welcome. It's very extensive work, so I would bet that they'll still be working on it when you leave for your trip. Safe travels, and tell Mickey I miss him!
Will do! :-) Looked at Mapquest for an alternate route. I think I have a way around to avoid that bridge without taking a lot of time.

Last edited:
This is a long shot but last year on our way home to PA, we got rerouted at one point (I think off 95). We ended up going through this really neat area where the tree branches were all hanging over the road. I have no idea of the town or area. I'm pretty sure we were running parallel to whatever road we were supposed to be on and there was a train track between us. I think maybe possibly it was after Savannah GA but honestly the entire ride home was pretty much a blur of exhaustion. Does anyone have any idea of where I might be talking about? We would voluntarily reroute ourselves to find it again this year...

I can't confirm for you, but you might take a look at I 95 and US 301 or US 17. They both parallel and criss cross 95 in the south. Maybe looking at those roads on a map would help you locate the general area?

We come from Canada and haven't travelled that far yet with the grandchildren but do know that on shorter trips with them across the border it helps to have an I-Pad or something similar. Canadian RVs are made so TVs will NOT work when the rig is in motion so there is no way they can even watch a DVD up front or back in the bedroom unfortunately.

Which roads are you looking to take? We also need to avoid that little stretch on i95 on our long drive down.
One way to consider is take 81 to 77 then 26 which leads you over to 95. 81 is a good alternative to 95, then you can make the straight shot OTW home on 95. As far as avoiding the bridge work, from 95, take 38 to 34, then 52. Will take you about 20 mins longer this way,but this beats sitting in traffic for who knows how long:confused3

One way to consider is take 81 to 77 then 26 which leads you over to 95. 81 is a good alternative to 95, then you can make the straight shot OTW home on 95. As far as avoiding the bridge work, from 95, take 38 to 34, then 52. Will take you about 20 mins longer this way,but this beats sitting in traffic for who knows how long:confused3

Looks like 34 is closed until May! That's according to my Maps program on my phone. Looks like 38 to 301 would work. I read an article saying bridge work will be complete by April 5.

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone else just hop in the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane and sale on through Atlanta? We've got seven (one more since the account was created), and always figured we more than qualify. Drive right by the Atlanta traffic - no issues.

Doesn't anyone else just hop in the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane and sale on through Atlanta? We've got seven (one more since the account was created), and always figured we more than qualify. Drive right by the Atlanta traffic - no issues.
We have never had issues going through Atlanta and just staying in the HOV lane, I do plan my trip around when I'd hit it though. The #1 tip is DO NOT listen to your GPS! Just hit the HOV lane and go straight through.

I85 in Atlanta is closed north and southbound. A portion of the road collapsed yesterday. The side streets are packed. 285 is also packed. GDOT just announced BOTH north and southbound lanes for SEVERAL MONTHS. I would recommend avoiding the Atlanta metro area. Take an alternate route, even if it adds more time to your travel. Use your GPS or use Waze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter