For those sailing in 2021...how are you feeling?

We are supposed to sail December 2020, but will change it to December 2021. I feel very good that the December 2021 cruise would happen with not as many (if any) restrictions onboard, and the CDC coming out requesting input on how cruise lines can resume operations is a positive sign but only time will tell.

Am I the only one...?

So, back in May, I booked a September 2020 cruise hoping it would go but also knowing that it might be canceled.
It of course got canceled.
A few weeks later, I went ahead and booked a December 2020 cruise. This at the time was done with the same mentality, but with more realization that that was a big chance that it will be canceled.

As Princess canceled their cruises through December 15th, I find my self looking at late January and February. Why do I do that to myself?!?

Self-reflection time:
1. I'm eager to cruise again, even with many of the limitations they suggested. I've had Covid19 (and yes, it was way worse than the flu), and I'm aware science is currently saying I can get it again. Also, I was on the last DCL cruise through the Panama Canal, so I've experienced some of the limitations and the atmosphere during this pandemic.
2. I'm worried that if you don't have a cruise booked, there is no way to get on a cruise in the foreseeable future. With the limited capacity (whatever that number might be), even with people choosing to cancel, the people who already booked the cruise will make up that capacity, not allowing others to book it. I'm imagining this to happen with most cruises currently scheduled in 2021.
I'm kinda doing the same thing, just moving cruises around. We had a Christmas cruise booked that we were super excited for, have never been on a holiday cruise and to do one actually on Christmas was even more exciting, it was also supposed to be our kids first cruise (DH and I have cruise pre-kid, but since our oldest DD has had some pretty bad motion sickness issues in the past we waited to take them). A month or so ago I realized it was probably best to cancel and change the date, so that's what I did. We kept our WDW part of our trip and dropped the cruise adding on days at WDW over Christmas. Then last night DH and I finally came to an agreement about rescheduling the cruise, this time for June 2021 as he'll be out of town right after christmas next year. Crossing our fingers it actually happens, but I'm aware it may get canceled and I'm fine with it (we are also not telling the girls we're going on it, they know nothing about the trip, so if it gets cancelled they won't be hurt either).

I've also had covid, and it was no picnic especially since I had it back in March when it was nearly impossible to get tested and we still didn't know much. I know I can get it again, but my friends who work at Emory (one working on trials for a new vaccine, and on treatments for the virus) tell me if I do get it again my body has a great chance of recognizing it so it won't be as bad as the first time, so I have hope. Of course I also hope I am just super careful enough not to get it again, that's even better lol. Our next cruise after this, as long as my girls love it, won't be until 2022 just because of scheduling, but I'm really hoping they love it providing the cruise happens, and we can be back to normal sailing by then.

So if you have a cruise booked with an FCC, you can't transfer that to a blackout date cruise? That's exactly what I had been considering doing: moving our October '20 cruise (rescheduled with FCC from July) to Christmas week of 2021. So we can't do that?

If so, at least DCL made up my mind for me so I'll definitely choose to get my refund when October is cancelled, as those Christmas week cruises are the only ones I would even consider.

I do think it's a bit pompous and greedy of DCL if that's true, to assume that they're going to fill the Christmas cruises with guests who aren't using credits during this unstable time, and to not show much consideration to their loyal customers whose cruises they cancelled. Those Christmas week cruises need to have gone down in price from the usual if this is the case.
So we just talked to DCL again and were told that the discount would apply. I guess we will see what answer we get tomorrow morning when we book our backup cruise. :) Good luck to you.

I just PIF the Dreams January 11, 2021 for 5 people. Three “at risk” and two 20 somethings. We assume the cruise will be canceled by Disney. If not, the 3 at risk will have the vaccine or use the 15 day lift and shift if they are unable to receive the vaccine in time. But the vaccine is not important in this post. If it arrives in time, we will add the 3 days prior to make a 7 day Dream cruise out of the experience. Last minute pricing should be wonderful.

Here is my new concerns (**)
Some thoughts on what could happen.
• Disney cancels on us.
• CDC cancels on us.
** Dream got locked down before our cruise with Covid breakout.
** Our sailing gets locked down from Covid breakout.

But thinking about the risk, how can any cruise company gamble on paying for additional days for their staff to feed and house individuals from a Covid outbreak?

It’s one thing for Disney to not make money on a cruise that never takes place but another all together to shell out money on food and staff for someone’s extended “vacation” due to 14 day quarantine. I don’t want Disney losing additional money and raising my rates on future trips. And even the thought of 14 days in a our room for 5 people is crazy. But it could happen.

Now I’m not sure what can happen for those first cruises. I know what happened when things went wrong. I was kinda shocked when I read the numbers for the Wonder. A normally super clean ship and results that were totally unexpected. I’m so glad the parks are doing well. But I have read the wait for any ride is 5 minutes and people have gone on popular rides that they had only previously been on once a visit. So that’s got to be wonderful but so empty. Just not sure how they will do it on a ship. I just will be so surprised.

So we just talked to DCL again and were told that the discount would apply. I guess we will see what answer we get tomorrow morning when we book our backup cruise. :) Good luck to you.

When DCL says “discount,” Are they referring to the 10% discount from an Onboard booking (which does not apply to Holiday, specialty cruises, or Concierge) — or the application of the 125% FCC from PIF cancelled cruises?

When DCL says “discount,” Are they referring to the 10% discount from an Onboard booking (which does not apply to Holiday, specialty cruises, or Concierge) — or the application of the 125% FCC from PIF cancelled cruises?
No. No onboard booking discounts, but FCC and the discount we got on the Wonder on the WBPC in March.

Ugh - we have a DCL 7-night booked for the end of February 2021. They may be going by then, but if masks are required, etc., that's a deal-breaker for me. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of it & hopefully they won't be necessary for every day living by then.
It just wouldn't be very fun carousing around the deck...with a mask on, lol.

I think I am going to rebook our March 2021 cruise for fall 2021... and keep our August 2021 for now. I frankly don’t like the chances of either of them happening, but I have already paid deposits so they might as well keep my money for now!

I’ll only go if the experience is basically unchanged. I’m fine with a few changes like cabanas not being a buffet, but masks, restricted use/capacity in kids’ clubs etc would be deal breakers for me both because it would ruin the experience and also because it would probably mean there’s no vaccine yet and possibly not as safe as I would want it to be to feel good about cruising again anyway.

With that said, I’ve got a May 2021 sailing booked and I’m booking an October 2021 sailing tomorrow. I’m iffy on the May one, and I’m ready to cancel in January before pif if there isn’t a strong certainty about the future. I’d love to go in May but won’t bend on what I said above. The October sailing I’m much more hopeful about!

Well I booked a November 2021 cruise today because I'm not certain our March 2021 cruise will sail :( Or if we'll be on it, the way the CAN/US border closure is going. So I'm feeling REALLY good about November 2021, feeling highly optimistic about our August 2021 cruise and feeling so-so about our March 2021 cruise :rotfl2:

Well I booked a November 2021 cruise today because I'm not certain our March 2021 cruise will sail :( Or if we'll be on it, the way the CAN/US border closure is going. So I'm feeling REALLY good about November 2021, feeling highly optimistic about our August 2021 cruise and feeling so-so about our March 2021 cruise :rotfl2:

is it the very merry time cruise? if so, we're in the same one, booked it yesterday...I think the closer it gets to 2022, the more chances cruising will be back to normal.. March 2021? mmmmh.. doesn't look that good imo.. I also have 2 booked for July 2021 and I give them only a 50-50 chance.. but news about potential vaccines ramping up are very encouraging so who knows, maybe by December they'll start vaccinating ppl and could be the beginning of the end of this nightmare.. here's hoping all your sailings do happen.. cheers...

We are doing the same, booked a December cruise today. Not feeling hopeful for our March cruise. The PIF date is early December and not sure if we will know about the border at that time.

My problem is March is the only time we can all travel. I can't do a fall trip, but I'm probably going to have to pull the plug on our March 2021. Unless the 2022 winter/spring is released before the end of Oct (when my PIF is), I may not have choices.

I think I am going to rebook our March 2021 cruise for fall 2021... and keep our August 2021 for now. I frankly don’t like the chances of either of them happening, but I have already paid deposits so they might as well keep my money for now!
In the same boat. Have a cruise for mid April 2021, and just not sure we will have info by paid in full date. Also, think that if they cruise it will be restricted for kid’s clubs, etc. Do not want to pay to hang out in our room. Originally booked Fantasy New Year’s 2021, but changed to Oct Halloween on High Seas Mexico 7 nt yesterday. Only $500 more for Cat T on Wonder vs Cat 5E on Fantasy. Luckily we have discount to apply from WBPC in March. Making the best of that to experience Concierge once in our lives!

Same here. Today I cancelled our April 2021 Mexican Riviera cruise and booked the September 2021 Norway cruise.

I just moved our WBPC in Feb 2021 to the WBTA in Sept 2021. I was growing pretty skeptical that Feb was going to happen, and the WBTA itinerary looked really interesting (with stops in Spain and Bermuda).

As for restrictions/alterations, I would have no problem wearing a mask on a cruise -- at least it means I would be on board.

As for restrictions/alterations, I would have no problem wearing a mask on a cruise -- at least it means I would be on board.
I, too, would be willing, but not when it costs $1,000+ per night for 2 passengers in a standard stateroom, which is what the fall cruises we can sail on have been priced at.

DCL, see ya later, alligator. When the restrictions are gone or the prices go down. One or the other. Until then, we'll take other types of vacations.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter