• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? for those who have had to use dcl insurance

musicgirl

DIS Veteran
I was just wondering if those who had used it felt that it was adequate. I have read about some big emergencies on this board and I know it is important to have the insurance.

I happened to be browsing a site that listed prices and how much you are covered for. So if you have had to use it, was it enough or should I look into cancelling ours through DCL and going with someone else?

Thanks, Lorie

Last year on our cruise my father died and I had to fly home from St. Thomas. I was reimbursed for my flight, hotel (stuck in San Juan overnight), days lost on the cruise and would have been compensated for meals too, but I couldn't eat. They were very quick with the claim. I have heard that AAA has good insurance (possibly through the same company) and their coverage is better, but be aware you may be subject to pre-existing conditions if you change now. We were told if we switched our insurance (with 90 days to go), we would not have a monetary penalty, but we would be subject to pre-existing conditions. I'm not willing to take that chance. I highly recommend insurance though. You never know when you'll need it. ;)

twhipple

I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. That must have been very difficult being so far away and trying to get home. It's hard enough to deal with when you are close in distance let alone all the details for flights etc.

Thank you for the information. We don't leave until June 2004. We had declined transfers because we are using a car service. They accidently also took off the insurance. So when I called back, I knew how much we were paying for the insurance. I just happen to be looking at different hotels and vacations when I came upon this site that gave quotes. But I honestly didn't even know where to begin. It sounds like the DCL insurance was adequate for you due to interruption of a trip (I think that's how they word it).

Thanks again, Lorie

I had to use the insurance 2 yrs ago, when my wrist got broken on Castaway Cay. I had to pay everything first, then copy all my receipts and sent it to them. They paid me back almost $3200 worth of bills. So yes the $99 was well worth it and we got the DCL insurance. I hope this helps.

The DCL insurance is very expensive as insurance products go. You can buy a similar/same policy from the same insurance company for significantly fewer dollars (especially if you are in a lower category). We are paying $92 for the two of us versus $198 with DCL. Good luck!

Thanks midnitemist and Doctor P. Doctor P, I never thought about the category difference. The three of us are in category 11. That's definitely something to explore.

I believe that Disney's insurance is a fixed price no matter what category you are in. This means that those in lower categories subsidize those in higher categories, in effect. Thus, those in lower categories (or those who didn't pay as much for their trip) can often buy insurance cheaper when buying policies based on trip cost.

When DCL cancelled our Nov. 30 2002 sailing they notified us the Wednesday before.........we had two days at WDW booked also. But the way that was the day before Thanksgiving. Our flight was to leave at 6:45 a.m. Thursday morning. We had insurance thru DCL. When DCL called Wednesday evening at 5:30 p.m. to tell us of the cancellation they said "we are going to give you a complete refund". Well I booked my airfare myself and asked about that. They told me to call my carrier and have my flight changed.......HELLO......it's the day before Thanksgiving!!!! Ever try and call an airline the day before Thanksgining???? Well I called the number on the insurance policy and I was told "your coverage starts at midnight the day of travel, being that you were cancelled today we will not cover your airfare......but, if you gat a flat tire on the way to the airport and miss your flight we will reimburse you.....What????? I baught insurance this time thru travelers.......

Originally posted by twhipple
Last year on our cruise my father died and I had to fly home from St. Thomas.

So sorry to read about your tragedy. We have always purchased insurance and so far, thank God we have never had to use it.

God bless!
Rae

I don't think I can change it now. Even though it wasn't originally on our confirmation, they sent the booklet. Now that I've looked it over, it says that you have 10 days to cancel for a full refund. It has been over the 10 days since I added it. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to re-book on board and research travel insurance for it. Thanks for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter