For what reasons could you be requested to go through the full body scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are OK with "profiling" :confused3 if it's done the Israeli way? ;)

The UK does not permit "opt outs" from the scanner. Then again we revolted against the way they did things.

And you'll be pleased to know - if you remove your shoes at CDG, they will likely laugh at you and make snide remarks about Americans (in French).

Never said I was ok with it. but I'm generally a "follow the rules" type of gal. Israel has the right to put in place any type of security they see fit. I have the right to stay out of their country if I don't like it. I generally dont go to other countries commenting on whether or not I feel my civil rights are being infringe upon. Same with London. I don't ask to "Opt out" because basically it's their country. If I don't like those rules I have the choice to stay home.
For me that works beautifully, no harm, no foul. I don't like the security in your country, I stay out of your country. win-win situation.

Now the problem with profiling is that in this country there is no way in hell it will not be done based on race. We have over 150 years experience on discrimination, lynching, and dang near annihilating entire races and you're telling me this country is going to be able to profiling objectively based on behaviour. Yeah right, when pigs fly. NJ state troopers just settled a class action lawsuit for their systemic racial profiling and this is 40 years after civil rights. Not to mention the uptick in enrollment in every hate group that's crawled out of a rock in the last 2 years.

Now you've got all these links showing abuses by TSA agents, well I've got about 150 years worth of abuses against minorities in this country so If I was a betting gal, my odds that we could not do it would be a heck of a lot better.

It seems that our gov't is just pushing us one step at a time to see how much we can take. Our security is getting more and more invasive, the planes coming here should be! Everyday I read about another step further to invasion of privacy with this new method. Kind of starting to remind me of SS type behavior. do it or else.

It seems that our gov't is just pushing us one step at a time to see how much we can take. Our security is getting more and more invasive, the planes coming here should be! Everyday I read about another step further to invasion of privacy with this new method. Kind of starting to remind me of SS type behavior. do it or else.

The big difference being is that you do not HAVE to fly. Flying anywhere is a choice. Comparing a TSA screening to SS behavior is a huge insult to anyone who had relatives who had to deal with the holocost.

You still have a choice. You can choose to not fly. You can choose to fly and be screened. You can choose to fly and opt for the pat down. You are not being forced to do anything against your will.

I know the TSA says this but a doctor on Fox this morning said pregnant women should not go through the scanners. I wouldn't go through one pregnant or not.

And that is totally your choice.

But for every one doctor who says it is not ok you will find one who says that it is ok.

The big difference being is that you do not HAVE to fly. Flying anywhere is a choice. Comparing a TSA screening to SS behavior is a huge insult to anyone who had relatives who had to deal with the holocost.

You still have a choice. You can choose to not fly. You can choose to fly and be screened. You can choose to fly and opt for the pat down. You are not being forced to do anything against your will.
for now. It is getting us use to doing things that we would have never thought of even last year! I know it's a choice. but these scanners are in other places as well as mobile vans that were originally for the military but now purchased by local police. No choice there. I didn't say it was the SS, reminds me of thetactics. Only the beginning if we the people don't stop it.

for now. It is getting us use to doing things that we would have never thought of even last year! I know it's a choice. but these scanners are in other places as well as mobile vans that were originally for the military but now purchased by local police. No choice there. I didn't say it was the SS, reminds me of thetactics. Only the beginning if we the people don't stop it.

But df, you do hundreds of things this decade that you didn't 10 years or 5 or heck even last year.

10 years ago, the thought of wackadoodles using planes as weapons was totally foreign. now it's not.
I remember watching the Oklahoma bombing on TV, I was home with a broken ankle and could not believe what I was seeing, the thought of an American citizen blowing up a building was not even in my realm of possibilities but now we have concrete pillars outside of federal courthouses and metal detectors inside. It doesn't mean it's an SS state, it means we live in a new age.

heck,not getting political but if you had ask me 5 years ago if we would ever have an African american president, I would have laughed so hard I would have popped a kidney.

I remember reading the thread about banning texting while driving. I still can't figure out why we can't figure out that, that is just common sense but just like drinking and driving unfortunately we have to pass laws against it. :sad2:

yes, I would love to return the the days of simply walking up to your terminal and hopping on a plane but those days are gone. plain and simple. never to return.

The objective should be finding a balance between safety and privacy. screaming Nazi Germany is not what I would call trying to find a balance.

It's just what was reported by MSNBC.com. What their sources are and whether it's "really true".....how are any of us going to know that? I know that whatever the media reports, they have to be able to back it up with their sources.....but that doesn't mean it's true or not true either.

I hope what they report is true, and that's about as good as I can do for anyone here unless I take the time to call every single airport in this country to find out if they have the new scanners and what kind they are.....which I'm not going to take the time to do. :goodvibes

There is at least one website, bbs, that has a pretty extensive catalog. Also, the TSA has a listing too, but that is (as Tyner discovered) not updated regularly.

I wonder what happens when someone pregnant is asked to go through a scanner. Is that safe for them? Are there signs posted saying to let the TSA agent know if you're pregnant?

My niece is coming with us to WDW in a couple weeks, and she's about five months pregnant. She isn't really showing much other than just a tiny baby bump, but I'm a little worried about the safety of it for her and the baby....if she happens to be asked to go through the scanner.

(There are 8 of us traveling together, so I think the odds of at least one of us being asked to go through a scanner is pretty good.)

Heck, not only are there not signs warning prgenant women, there are no
images
signs on the public side of the existing baggage and people xrays.

yes, I would love to return the the days of simply walking up to your terminal and hopping on a plane but those days are gone. plain and simple. never to return.

Myself, and other critics of the pat downs and body scanners, are not asking for that.

Saw this on another website, thought it was funny. We all need a chuckle every now and then!

Here's a simple solution to the controversy over full-body scanners
> at airports.
>
> Develop an enclosed booth that passengers step into but, instead of
> x-raying them, when the door closes, it will detonate any explosive
> device they have hidden on or in their body. The explosion will be
> contained within the sealed booth. This would be a win-win for
> everyone!
>
> There would be no concern about racial profiling. The booth would
> eliminate long, expensive trials.
>
> You're in the airport and you hear a muffled explosion, followed by
> an announcement over the PA system, "Attention standby passengers,
> we now have a seat available on flight number..."
>
> What's not to like?

:rotfl:

:thumbsup2 works for me.

I, and other critics of the pat downs and body scanners, are not asking for that.

cool, then maybe what you are asking for would get heard a bit better if you were not bouncing off words like, "SS", "rape" "molesting" "Nazi". Just tends to have your message get lost. Just a thought.

Not you specifically, just in general.

Here's a very interesting article about the very thing. It's from the Philly Inquirer by a guy name Michael Smerconish. He's just a local columnist. basically it just says let's stop screaming that it's a death ray machine sucking girls eggs out of their ovaries and start separating fact from fiction.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/colu...g__Scanner_whiners_need_some_perspective.html

Godwin's Law. You just lost your argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

But df, you do hundreds of things this decade that you didn't 10 years or 5 or heck even last year.

10 years ago, the thought of wackadoodles using planes as weapons was totally foreign. now it's not.
I remember watching the Oklahoma bombing on TV, I was home with a broken ankle and could not believe what I was seeing, the thought of an American citizen blowing up a building was not even in my realm of possibilities but now we have concrete pillars outside of federal courthouses and metal detectors inside. It doesn't mean it's an SS state, it means we live in a new age.

heck,not getting political but if you had ask me 5 years ago if we would ever have an African american president, I would have laughed so hard I would have popped a kidney.

I remember reading the thread about banning texting while driving. I still can't figure out why we can't figure out that, that is just common sense but just like drinking and driving unfortunately we have to pass laws against it. :sad2:

The objective should be finding a balance between safety and privacy. screaming Nazi Germany is not what I would call trying to find a balance.
hey, no one is screaming. Hope you're right! Hate to see the next 'new' level of security. Hillary doesn't even want a pat down.

Here's yet another thing. I don't think ANYONE (ok, 99.99%) WANTS the patdowns/full body scanners.

I think the difference between the two sides is more some ACCEPT it and go on, others don't.

Where would we be, if in the course of human history, if we always accepted what the government wanted us to do?

Yes, and if it were funny an argument I would love to lose!

I wasn't being funny. By resorting to the extreme comparison to the SS, you invalidated every good thing you were trying to do.

On a personal level, my Dad was a POW in Germany, and my best friend growing ups grandmother was a CC survivor. I don't find the comparison funny at all, nor do I find it appropriate. I find it very offensive.

Where would we be, if in the course of human history, if we always accepted what the government wanted us to do?

It's been a step by step process. Each one is more intrusive. I only wonder what the next step will be. I didn't say anything was funny you referenced the comic.

I wasn't being funny. By resorting to the extreme comparison to the SS, you invalidated every good thing you were trying to do.

On a personal level, my Dad was a POW in Germany, and my best friend growing ups grandmother was a CC survivor. I don't find the comparison funny at all, nor do I find it appropriate. I find it very offensive.

Ok and I find the whole new system offensive. We still have the 1st amendment here I think. You have your thoughts, I have mine. Hope you are right!

I asked for their to be no political discussions here. Political discussions are not allowed. Neither are debates.
Sorry but this thread has now run it's course. Nothing new being added..just more of the same ole, same ole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter