Fort Wilderness Cabins, need the real scoop!!!

kackie

Earning My Ears
Thinking of splurging and getting a Fort wilderness cabin, we always have stayed at the AStars.

What are the cabins like? What is available at Fort wilderness? ANY information is greatly appreciated.

I can get the cabin for 139$ and the allstars for 59$? Is it worth the differance of 70$ per night.

Thanks for any replies, We are going in October.

Kackie

"MY DH AND 3 KIDS WILL NOT EVEN DISCUSS STAYING ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!":p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

We love FW and the cabins. They are so roomy compared to a standard hotel room. There is a murphy bed which folds out of the wall in the LR, a complete kitchen, a decent size bathroom and a bedroom with a queen bed and a set of bunks. There is a closet area and also a dressing are with a hair dryer in the bedroom also. There is a nice size deck with a picnic table and a BBQ off the deck. There are doors to the deck from the kitchen(main entry) and also a door in the BR. We usually save a good bit of money by eating breakfast each day and a couple of other meals in the cabin each trip.
We usually rent a golf cart to ride around on. The kids really enjoy this. We ride around to the different playgrounds, see some of the wildlife and stop at one of the shops for ice cream or other snacks. There is also a petting zoo for the smaller kids complete with pony rides($2 I think). You can stop in at Trail's End restaurant for a good meal or visit Crockett's Tavern for a drink and appetizers or get a delicious pizza. We like to get a pizza at night to carry to the beach where we watch the electrical pageant and the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom.
At the marina, you can rent a pontoon boat or water mice boats for a hour or two of fun. At the Bike Barn behind the Meadow's Trading Post you can rent canoes, paddle boats or bikes for fun also. We rented bikes our last trip and had a blast!
There is so much more I could tell you, but this post would be very, very long. If there are any questions I might help you with, just pm me. After all, we have stayed at FW 7 or 8 times over the last 5 years. WE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!;)

We just got back from our stay at WL (dd & I), we had friends that were staying at FW in a cabin. They are so cool. I felt like I was in the mountains. It's like a little city in the mountains away from everything, yet with the convenience of the Disney parks right there!

They had a golf cart which makes it easier to get around. We had dinner at Trail's End Buffeteria which was very good & reasonable! You can also bbq on your private deck.

The cabin is extremely cozy with a full kitchen, living room with a murphy bed, large tv with vcr & a couch. The bath is a nice size and the bedroom had a double bed and bunk beds. I thought this was the next best thing to the villas at WL, BW & BC, but without the high price tag!

We will probably stay there at one time or another. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I believe there is a board called "Camping at Disney World" which would really give you some detailed info!

As FTWFAN mentioned there are tons of activities just to do at FW itself without even going into the parks!

I'd say it depends on the size of your family and the age of the kids....

with the cabin you can put up to 4 kids in the bedroom, close the door and have a regular conversation then sleep in the murpht bed in the living room.

you also get a full kitchen so you can off set the cost of the cabin by eating in.

you get two tvs...no need to explain that one.

while you can ride a boat to the MK, id say transportation is a little more complicated then the allstars, so if you rent a car use it to go to the rest of the parks.

the resort itself has alot of fun stuff like the petting zoo, hay rides and outdoor movies and campfire marshmellow roastes with chip and dale.

We started staying at FW in the mid 70's when we brought our our camper and then we started renting FW trailers (that was before they were replaced and called cabins). Staying at FW with young children is wonderful. There is so much to do there, it is quiet and peaceful and yet just a short boat ride away from MK. The extra room, the full kitchen, etc is great. As my children got older we wanted to try different resorts so we started staying at other WDW resorts and eventually I bought a DVC membership. Now that my family is all adults we prefer staying at BWV because it is more convenient with everyone coming and going at different times and we enjoy the restaurants, the nighttime entertainment and being able to walk to 2 parks but some of my fondest WDW memories are of our trips to FW and staying in a trailer when my kids were still toddlers. It is a great place!!

Thanks for the info..... It will only be 3 of us. dh,me and ds 8.

My "dilemma" is that we probably won't be going to the parks much at all. We are planning to stay at the resort and dink around prior to going on our Disney Cruise. (We have been several times in past 2 years and ticket costs are so high. We want to park hop if we go and fromwhat I can tell, you have to buy 4d park hoppers to do that and that just blows my budget.) Since we won't be at the parks as much, I thought the cabin might be nice.

Still, it would be cheaper to go to Animal Kingdom Lodge....... I just can't make up my mind...........

Life is good with so many choices.

Kackie

How long are you planning to be at WDW?
If you aren't going in the parks at all and you will only be there a couple of days, you might rather stay somewhere like the AKL with a lot of built-in entertainment (animals!) and a really great pool and restaurants.
We only stayed at FW once (in a wilderness home, during our first trip 10 years ago). The area is very pretty but we weren't overly impressed with transportation or the pools.
I guess it depends on how long you plan to be there and how you want to spend your time before you leave for the cruise. . .

Ah decisions, decisions,

We are flexible on our time, We can leave as late as a Monday or as early as a Saturday. we are driving down and are taking the whole week.

I am still considering FW cabins for 2 nights and splitting the time w/ASMusic, but Animal Kingdom is looking good too.........

Kackie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter