Fort Wilderness camping

BruceK

Earning My Ears
We are going to FW for the first time. The golf carts are too expensive. BUT...we have a preferred site. Will we be too far from transportation? I cannot walk long distances. This will be the third time that we use our 22 foot Coachman, motor home. Any helpful hints? We're going in March, 2003. Wondering if it will be warm enough to swim bicycle, etc. Any help would be appreciated. For ex., we will drive down with empty tanks, as we're from New Hampshire, and it has been winterized; before, we get to FW, we hope to go grocery shopping and fill up as we're staying 8 nights. Are the stores at the Wilderness good for this, or should we look for a grocery store in Orlando first. Thanks, anyone.:bounce:

As far as grocery shoping goes I would suggest teh super WalMart on 192, (right next to Medevil Times). Go out from DownTown Disney, turn right onto 535, take 535 to 192 and turn left. Publix is also right there at teh corner of 535 and 192 has good prices.. Cross Roads is a bit expensive... Also if you turn right onto 192 there is a Camping World less than a mile down if you need anything for your camper... We were just at Fort Wilderness 9/26 thru 11/10...

If walking is a problem, WalMart on 192 might be difficult for you. I have been there several times and the lines are always very, very long. By that, I mean that I have stood in the check-out line at the WalMart for more than a half hour each time. The Publix on 192 is quite a bit closer to Disney and much easier on the legs. For the most convenient shopping, if you can find a parking space, Goodings has a small grocery store in Celebration, however it is quite expensive. The stores at Fort Wilderness are not good for grocery shopping.

All camping at Fort Wilderness is close to the internal bus transportation system, which leads you to busses to the various parks. The prefered loops, 700, 100 and 200 are close to Pioneer Hall and the boat, but you may consider it a long walk to the boat if you have difficulty walking.

March will be comfortably warm for swimming or bicycling.

If this is your first time at Fort Wilderness, you will have a great time. It is the best campground in America.

You might want to fax the front desk a few days before you arrive. State that a guest in your party is disabled and you would like to request a loop. I would suggest 100, 400 or 700. They are preferred loops and the bus stop is the Settlement stop. You might ask for a site at the very front or very end as well. Loops 400 & 700 have longer sites.
We have done this many times and the FD is very helpful.

the WalMart on 192 is open 24/7....go in the very early morning hours (between 5 & 6am)& no lines! I suggest early morning instead of late evening due to any bad elements will be less likely to be around!;)

:wave:

When we stayed in the 300 loop this past August, I asked at check in where exactly in the loop our site was. When the nice CM showed me on the map that it was waaaaay at the back of the loop, I explained that my mom had difficulties walking and he made an override that put us in the second site in from the busstop. In the entire time we were there there were very few campers in the adjoining spots, so I really wonder if they hold them for situations like this. The only possible negative was that we did hear the busses at all hours of the day and night, but with the a.c. on full blast (it was August!), it really didn't bother us. We did end up renting a golf cart anyways, which was well worth the extra $$ to us (altho many on this list would disagree). Good luck, you'll love it!
Terri the Yoopermom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter