Fort Wilderness Parking and Fees for Cabins and Campsites

Can't speak to the 'pop-up' question precisely, but our neighbors in the 900 loop 2 weeks ago had a pop-top conversion van parked across the back of the site (perpendicular to the site) and then their class C, personal vehicle and golf-cart all parked in front of it. They were well within their space and definitely parked on the pad, but of they can have a pop-top van, I don't see what the difference would be in a traditional pop-up.

I saw that too and was wondering how they were getting away with it.

While I understand the Parking/Fee policy is a good thing to attempt to get control of the number of vehicles that some attempt to park at sites (and Cabins) and as others have said, the rules are only as good if they are actually enforced - completely and not selectively. But, I do not understand the $19 fee to park any car at a cabin? Why are only the cabins being focused on to not allow any free parking? I could understand if the policy for Cabins was the same as campsites, (up to 2 vehicles allowed) and then a charge on additional ones. I look at a Cabin reservation similar to a resort room reservation, so I would expect that Disney would have a similar vehicle fee for anyone who parks a car in a resort lot. I simply do not understand the rational for the Cabin car fees.

I camp in the Fort Wilderness campsites with one RV and one car, so for the most part this does not really affect my normal reservations. But I have a Campsite and Cabin reservation in September so our Son, Daughter-in-law and Grandson can join us. This will add an additional cost to our stay. The Front Desk CM told me that I may be exempted from the Cabin fee because my reservation was made in January, prior to the March roll-out of this new policy. I am in a wider Premium site and can park 2 cars on the concrete for free. While this is a possible option to the fee this time, I am still confused as to why Disney chose to treat the Cabins differently than the campsite policy.

In lots of cases what you park on the site is your "room" so they consider it already covered in site cost. On another note, you can't get your "room" to the site without vehicle, so they see it as one whole unit either way.

At least, this is my theory.

I understand what you are saying, but since I have a MH, I do not need a vehicle to tow my 'room' to my site, but I am still allowed to have 2 additional vehicles on my site (if all 8 wheels fit on the concrete) for free. Since the Cabin is a Room that is built their by Disney, it is like a Resort Room, so I'd expect a $19 parking fee for everyone who drives to a Disney Resort and parks in their lots.

I guess if the new rule only allowed the one vehicle that towed your Room (towable) to your site, I'd understand that. Sorry for my ramble, just trying to understand why Cabin reservations are charge a parking fee for even a single vehicle when no other Disney room reservation is?

I guess if the new rule only allowed the one vehicle that towed your Room (towable) to your site, I'd understand that. Sorry for my ramble, just trying to understand why Cabin reservations are charge a parking fee for even a single vehicle when no other Disney room reservation is?

Oh but other resorts ARE treated like the cabins, rgrimm.

On the WDW website, if you go to any of the resorts listings and look under the "Amenities" tab, it describes a charge for parking if the reservation was made after the policy went into place.

It corroborates the WDW general resort parking policy:

Screenshot 2018-08-18 at 1.00.50 PM.png

How often/if/not at all it's actually implemented and charged, I'm not addressing that. But there is a policy for all the WDW owned resorts because the Corporation needs more cash.

Bama Ed

Thank you Bama Ed ...... now it makes sense. Since I have not stayed at a Resort since 2012 I was unaware of the parking fee at resorts too.

Thank you for the clarity with the Fee policy. And WOW!!

I just booked a reservation for the cabins for Christmas and New Year of 2018. She mentioned the parking fee and put me on hold to verify we had to pay it. She came back and said yes. I was not happy because our trip is 13 nights. Between the parking fee and the rental of a golf cart, that is some hefty cash. We are DVC members, but not staying on points as they are not available. Anyway, today my DH calls the FW front desk and they assured him there is no parking fee for the cabins...….SO which is it???

I just booked a reservation for the cabins for Christmas and New Year of 2018. She mentioned the parking fee and put me on hold to verify we had to pay it. She came back and said yes. I was not happy because our trip is 13 nights. Between the parking fee and the rental of a golf cart, that is some hefty cash. We are DVC members, but not staying on points as they are not available. Anyway, today my DH calls the FW front desk and they assured him there is no parking fee for the cabins...….SO which is it???

Well, a couple things.

One is it depends on what number DH called. If it was 407-824-2900, he didn't talk to anyone at the Fort front desk. That number goes to a call center who answers questions and takes the load off personnel actually working at the Fort (if they do this for the Fort I guess that same call center takes calls for the other resorts). And someone in a call center can make mistakes (Disney CM's are famous) of confusing the campsite parking policy and the cabin parking policy (they are different-see below).

I went to the WDW website and on the "Where To Stay" link if you go through to the FW Cabins/Amenities website it says you pay:

Cabins Parking.png

Then I went to the WDW website and on the "Where To Stay" link if you go through to the FW Campsites/Amenities website it says NOTHING about paying for one vehicle:

Campsite Parking.png

Supposedly for campsites we pay as well for all car beyond the first. Supposedly.

So you bet it's a cash grab. And we'll get the same historical 3-6% lift in resort rates next time around. Cuz, you know, the Walt Disney Company doesn't have enough money laying around.

So you will end up paying.

Bama Ed

Well, a couple things.

One is it depends on what number DH called. If it was 407-824-2900, he didn't talk to anyone at the Fort front desk. That number goes to a call center who answers questions and takes the load off personnel actually working at the Fort (if they do this for the Fort I guess that same call center takes calls for the other resorts). And someone in a call center can make mistakes (Disney CM's are famous) of confusing the campsite parking policy and the cabin parking policy (they are different-see below).

I went to the WDW website and on the "Where To Stay" link if you go through to the FW Cabins/Amenities website it says you pay:

View attachment 353404

Then I went to the WDW website and on the "Where To Stay" link if you go through to the FW Campsites/Amenities website it says NOTHING about paying for one vehicle:

View attachment 353405

Supposedly for campsites we pay as well for all car beyond the first. Supposedly.

So you bet it's a cash grab. And we'll get the same historical 3-6% lift in resort rates next time around. Cuz, you know, the Walt Disney Company doesn't have enough money laying around.

So you will end up paying.

Bama Ed

Thank you for the explanation. I just called again and was indeed told I would have to pay for parking at the cabin. The funny thing, is he said to hold while he checked. I said "I am sorry, but you don't know if there is a charge or not?" He responded that things change often! Oh Boy. I spoke with a friend who stayed a few nights at the GF with 3 cars and paid no fees. Her reservation was made after the change.

The CM gave you the brush off saying "things change often". The parking policy hasn't changed since it was instituted early this year.

The policy hasn't changed. But the enforcement does. It can be hit-or-miss.

It will get to the point in months/years when it will be enforced across the board. You've probably read on the Resorts board like I have that some folks report being charged. Your friend at GF wasn't. At some point Disney Management will need that money and enforce it every time to make their resort's bottom line contribution target. For the WDW resorts and Fort Cabins, if there is not a My Disney Express link associated with your reservation, they'd likely charge you for at least one vehicle per night.

I don't want to sound flip - I hope you have a great time during that time of year and enjoy the Fort and all the camper decorations. Just be prepared to pay the fee if it's charged because they can.

ED

PS - also, with campsites, it will be hard to collect for the 2nd car and beyond. A real life example of mine: 5 people on my reservation listed by name with active Magic Bands. I pull in with my pop-up (3 of us in car) and check in, get assigned a site, and start setting up. I put up a tent for the remaining two people who drive in later that day. Since I've already checked in and got a site, they can drive the second vehicle through the "returning guests" automatic gate at either end of the Fort parking lot which opens for them because their Magic Bands are associated with my valid, active reservation. They or I leave one vehicle at the campsite and the second in the Fort parking lot up front. How would they know to charge for the second vehicle? :confused3

Last edited:
Frustrating. We had family stay in a cabin, we were at a nearby campsite, and they were charged a $20 per night parking fee. Unfortunately we didn't think about the fee in advance. Lesson learned-next time we'll park their vehicle at our campsite for free, for now. Since these fees are within the confines of the Fort, and they charge for cabin parking, they are probably trying to figure out when they are going to start charging $20 per night for all vehicles on campsites other than campers. Won't that be a hot mess! Cabin guests or hotel guests don't get free parking why should campers? It's the ONLY place left with free parking at DW other than having ADR's at hotels and only a matter of time. From the inconsistencies we've had lately in parking permits and confusing information from management and cast members it sure does appear a change is coming. Wish I could turn back the hands of time-sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!