Fourth Times the Charm - A WONDERful trip to Alaska!

lovingeire

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone!

We sailed June 13-20th on the Wonder to Alaska. It was amazing! I did a pre-trip report but wanted to attempt a more detailed trip report for inquiring minds. Our plans/itinerary were as follows:

June 11th - Drive to an airport hotel after the kid's final soccer games and packing for an easy morning.
June 12th - Fly to Vancouver & Stay at the Pan Pacific
June 13th - Embarkation Day!
June 14th - Day at Sea
June 15th - Glacier Day
June 16th - Skagway
June 17th - Juneau
June 18th - Kechikan
June 19th - Day at Sea
June 20th - Debarkation Day :(
June 21 & 22 - Vancouver
June 23 - Fly Home

So, hang on to your hats and glasses kids, as this here's the wildest ride in the Last Frontier! ;)

Cast of Characters
This cruise will be our second vacation without our oldest child who has moved out and is recently married. (I have a daughter-in-law...say what???? Am I old enough for that????) So going to the last frontier are me (Gretchen), DH (Den), DS (L - 11, almost 12 at time of cruise) and DS (R - 8 at time of cruise). Here we are on our last family cruise on the Fantasy in June 2019.

captainmickey.jpeg

Attachments

• 1657061676110.gif
    1657061676110.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 7
Pre-Trip Reflections - Testing & Travel

First, I had uploaded our passports and vaccine cards in advance to Arrive Can and Verifly (for American Airlines) as early as I could. I then filled out the forms 72 hours in advance. This was the easy part. The harder part was when I uploaded my husband's vaccine card to Safe Passage and they rejected it because it wasn't filled out properly. He was not happy that he had to go to the VA, where he received medical care, and have them redo it. Fortunately, it was a simple process for him and they said he wasn't the only one, however, his card was likely the most poorly done they'd seen! Once we had that taken care of and he was deemed "Clear to Arrive" we felt so much better! The first hurdle handled!

On the 11th we had two soccer games, one for each boy. We started the morning taking COVID tests with e-Med. It was a little nerve-wracking to each test one at a time and wait on the results, but we were all NEGATIVE! Disney Wonder here we come! The eMed process was super easy. I did my own, and both kids. Would have been a better use of time to have my husband do one with the youngest who freaked out about the test, but lesson learned! We weren't in a hurry to get down to Baltimore to our airport hotel, we just wanted to arrive in time to get a decent night's rest. After soccer, I still had A LOT of packing to do. I had packed some in advance and had the boys packed, but still felt I had so much to do. We got packed up and loaded up, later than my husband wanted, but considering he was sitting in his chair in the living room while I worked I don't feel too bad! :rotfl: We stopped at a Chick-Fil-A on the road from our house to Baltimore for a quick dinner/potty break, then went to check in to our hotel. I have stayed at the Hilton Baltimore BWI a few times before early flights. I really like their park and stay service, and the rooms are clean, spacious and modern. I had never flown on a weekend before though so we arrived to a very full lot and driveway. Apparently, they had two weddings going on. A huge school group also pulled up and unloaded buses on tweens while we waited for my husband to park the car. So a bit of a hassle to take care of the car, but we parked in the garage and my husband thought that was better than outside for our long trip. Our room was quiet, clean and spacious. Beds super comfy. We all settled in for a good night's rest and early morning.

I had asked about the shuttle for our 7:30 am flight and the front desk told me 6:30. Yikes, that wasn't going to work for my if you're not 20 minutes early, you're late husband. We got on the shuttle a little after 6. Fortunately, we had so much luggage they took us right away as we missed the 6am shuttle. Whoops. We checked in and out bags were overweight. Whoops again. Security though was a breeze. We had about an hour till our flight to Chicago, but l ines out to wazoo so no breakfast for us. The husband was grumpy pants. Whoops again.

However, we boarded our flight and it was smooth sailing to Chicago!
3D64070C-AA23-40BF-82B4-47FAA0AF9B93.jpeg

Upon arrival in Chicago, we knew we were getting back on the same plane. We got off to go to the bathroom and grab some much-needed food. Again, we'd wanted Starbucks, but the line...Senor Grumpy Pants (aka DH) wasn't having that so we got Mickey D's. With full bellies, everyone was much happier for our flight to Vancouver. We had to have our passports out and ready and mask on the plane since we were going into Canada. We were split up a bit on this flight, but had a lovely couple on our aisles on this flight. They were heading off on a Princess Cruise. We finally landed in Vancouver and were so excited! After three years in the making, we were so close to boarding!

8701A600-D764-4B6C-B02B-C2F3091AFD37.jpeg02457097-FAD4-49D5-8E53-AAF8ECD04465.jpeg98A935D0-F47F-4CB8-A00C-295B5C2DA31A.jpeg

Customs was pretty easy. They sent us to a family line. (We did stop at bathrooms behind the escalator once we got down to customs. They'll try to rush. you through customs, but these are the only bathrooms until you're through customs!). There was some confusion with the "family" line as there were empty machines, but people weren't going to them, and very large family groups at the consoles. You scan passports and fill out forms electronically, then present a printout to the customs agent. The customs agent asked us if we wanted the boys passports stamped and we said yes. We had been sent to a person at a stand, like a pulpit, not at a kiosk, so he ran to the kiosk to do this then brought our passports back to us. Then we headed to baggage claim. We grabbed our bags and headed out to the taxi stand were it was easy to get a taxi van and get to the Pan Pacific.

At the Pan Pacific we handed our big bags to bell services and went to check-in. Our room (a Panoramic Harborview Room) was ready, and wow, what a view! (I'd hoped to insert a video here, but that's a work in progress!)

For dinner that night we ate a Tap & Barrel nearby. Great atmosphere and service. I had fish & chips with local BC halibut, DH had a burger, one kid got Mac N Cheese he didn't like, so ordered a kids burger. The 11 year old had a flatbread pizza. We all enjoyed our meals. DH ate the mac n cheese and said it was actually good. Odd for the 8 year old to be picky! DH had a local beer and I had local wine that was on tap. Very delicious! We'd definitely recommend this restaurant to families, even if you have picky eaters!
00D430B2-A0B7-4A55-99C0-12511240D6A0.jpeg
We explored some of the sights nearby, but ended up going back to the room to enjoy the view, which meant we all fell asleep earlier than we hoped!
FD571F61-5088-45A2-A857-B27A353FC4DC.jpeg088BD0B3-1560-436A-982E-8DDCF0CA1C29.jpeg6BF63862-A7AC-4A7C-97A9-546163778383.jpegAF98FFEC-310D-45EF-A21F-825B5A06B280.jpeg

Tomorrow is embarkation day!!!!

Last edited:

I forgot to mention we spent a lot of time watching bald eagles at the Pan Pacific on the 12th. What a great way to kick off the trip!

We mentioned it to our Facebook group and many others had seen them. Some saw our post and walked over to the Pan Pacific from other hotels to check them out!9FA9D080-1CB6-49D5-9E08-EC2916F47FCF.jpeg8CF792E8-76C2-4761-B858-882334A2B1FC.jpeg

Embarkation Day! - Part 1

The curse of coming from the East Coast the day before was that I woke up at 2:30 am. You heard that right! I tried to fall back asleep but was struggling. The rest of my family seemed to sleep just fine. We were all up quite early and pulled all of our blinds open to enjoy the view and watch the Disney Wonder come into port!
6E6D7159-A7AD-4B7D-B319-A294CCE43144.jpeg7B8CB59D-6E05-4A48-A38C-B7B239EC3AE5.jpeg39E01CDA-5D60-4936-A814-4A44C8AE45FC.jpeg
Since we were up so early we were ready to go early. We decided to walk across the street and grab a quick, cheaper breakfast at the food court. We also picked up a few things at Rexall Drugs, which was super convenient. I think we all ate at Mcdonald's. Not great, but it did the job and we knew we had plenty of good food waiting onboard!

When we had checked in the day before they had given us a card with information on getting our luggage to the cruise. We called bell services after breakfast as the gentleman from bell services who took our luggage upon arrival had told us the earlier we call the better. So we called around 9:30 am and they came and got our bags. Then we hung out in our room enjoying the view and Starbucks! Since we were sailing concierge we could arrive anytime, but like most people, we were anxious to get going and left the room around 10 to head down towards the port. We had reduced our carryons to our backpacks with our computers and one carryon bag. I went to do the final check on the room. You know where you check the kids didn't put anything in a drawer, etc and what do I find...all of our formal clothes in the garment bags in the closet! Thank God I checked! I forgot that the bellman had hung them up in there the day before. I knew it was odd we had extra luggage tags! I had thought we had just enough! Fortunately, they were in the carry-on bag we decided to carry with our paperwork in it. I put them on the two bags we had and we brought them downstairs. We could see all of the luggage piled to go to the port. We explained that we forgot them and the bellman double-checked we wanted them in the giant pile of luggage, which we did. He took care of it for us (thank you!) and we headed over towards the port entrance.

I didn't take a ton of pictures of the check-in process and I'm realizing that could have been useful. Masks are required in the port according to Canadian law. First, we lined up outside next to the building. Here, a cast member asked to see our ArriveCAN code so have that ready! Originally someone had told me to ask at the front of the line about being concierge, but they didn't separate the lines until you entered the building. Once inside there was a cast member who scanned your DCL QR/barcodes and then sent you to the actual check-in line. Here is where it split off to concierge. We went to the concierge line and they sent us to the first available cast member to check in. The people in front of us came back because the cast member said they couldn't check in concierge guests, but our cast member did an excellent job. She gave the boys their Oceaneer's Club bands and gave us gold stickers to demonstrate we were concierge. From here we went through security and then were directed to a concierge waiting area. It was just a smaller roped-off area with some chairs. Nothing fancy. We were one of the first people in the area, but it did fill up quickly. We chatted with a family across from us who recognized me from the Facebook group. Turns out they were our neighbors and in our Fish Extender group!

4DC15389-699D-4CD0-9522-CA9E02055CA9.jpeg

So, we were seated in the concierge area comfortably at least by 11:22 when the above photo was taken. So about 20 minutes for us to check-in. Then someone came down to a door on the opposite side of where we entered and ushered everyone to the gangway. This was a bit of a kerfuffle as there were a lot of people in a small area trying to get out, including some large family groups with wheelchairs. We just took our time knowing we'd be there soon enough! The next thing you know, they're announcing, "Welcome to the Disney Wonder, the Istre family!" So we waited about 20 minutes to board the ship in the concierge area/walk to the boat. But we boarded and took the boy's picture with Captain Mickey!

26599795-1E77-4CB0-A6A7-4ECA981D82DE.jpeg

From the atrium, everyone was funneled into Azure where they helped you set up your phone with the app and get you set up for the muster drill. Once your phone is set up they send you off to your muster location where you check in with a cast member who checks you off the list once you take the picture and show them you've completed the drill. This was super easy to complete, although my husband's wouldn't show as completed and he was freaking out about it. The cast member said it was ok because we'd showed him on my phone and that meant we were checked in. It just took a few refreshes of the app for his to show up. The Marine in him needs to follow instructions and have the boxes checked. From there we headed off to Triton's for the concierge lunch.
6BB8727F-625A-4343-B4FD-D6E655F2BC62.jpeg

The concierge lunch service was amazing! Our head server for lunch was Coco, who is a Palo server. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the assistant server's name, but he was fabulous as well. When we were seated they asked if we'd like some wine, we said yes and they brought us Layer Cake Shiraz. (There were a few choices he gave us after we said we wanted red.) We enjoy this wine and often get it for dinner in the dining room. Here is the one problem, they are VERY generous with the wine. Every time I turned around he was topping my glass off. I have no clue how much wine I drank with that lunch...so beware the concierge lunch! You will be tipsy, or even toasted, by the time it's over! LOL! I had the lobster salad, which was very good. (Probably a little too light of a lunch for all of that wine though...) The boys had asked for their drinks in wine glasses, and of course, our servers obliged. We joked a lot about being fancy on this cruise so they had pinkies up with their wine glasses! The boys had their first Mickey bars of the trip for dessert! I got carrot cake and the sundae, while my husband got the cheesecake. I thought the sundae was the best of the desserts! So good! Oh, and Angelina from the concierge team came by our table to introduce herself and went over some of our activities for the next day. It was a lovely lunch! We were happy campers afterward! ;)

64233E72-A770-4E40-AC61-935953E997A2.jpegD93C6FAC-F283-460B-8531-AF06EB7E5345.jpeg806C5B54-CDD2-4284-A976-D8F322560B40.jpeg4AEEB87D-7C40-4969-B5E1-273E5002059C.jpeg
I'm realizing our head server Deniz is in this picture of my boys and their Mickey bars. He was a very involved head server and we really enjoyed him throughout the cruise!

I'll leave this update here and continue on with the embarkation day update in another post because I feel like I have a TON of pictures! See you real soon!

Embarkation Day! - Part 1

The curse of coming from the East Coast the day before was that I woke up at 2:30 am. You heard that right! I tried to fall back asleep but was struggling. The rest of my family seemed to sleep just fine. We were all up quite early and pulled all of our blinds open to enjoy the view and watch the Disney Wonder come into port!
View attachment 682119View attachment 682120View attachment 682121
Since we were up so early we were ready to go early. We decided to walk across the street and grab a quick, cheaper breakfast at the food court. We also picked up a few things at Rexall Drugs, which was super convenient. I think we all ate at Mcdonald's. Not great, but it did the job and we knew we had plenty of good food waiting onboard!

When we had checked in the day before they had given us a card with information on getting our luggage to the cruise. We called bell services after breakfast as the gentleman from bell services who took our luggage upon arrival had told us the earlier we call the better. So we called around 9:30 am and they came and got our bags. Then we hung out in our room enjoying the view and Starbucks! Since we were sailing concierge we could arrive anytime, but like most people, we were anxious to get going and left the room around 10 to head down towards the port. We had reduced our carryons to our backpacks with our computers and one carryon bag. I went to do the final check on the room. You know where you check the kids didn't put anything in a drawer, etc and what do I find...all of our formal clothes in the garment bags in the closet! Thank God I checked! I forgot that the bellman had hung them up in there the day before. I knew it was odd we had extra luggage tags! I had thought we had just enough! Fortunately, they were in the carry-on bag we decided to carry with our paperwork in it. I put them on the two bags we had and we brought them downstairs. We could see all of the luggage piled to go to the port. We explained that we forgot them and the bellman double-checked we wanted them in the giant pile of luggage, which we did. He took care of it for us (thank you!) and we headed over towards the port entrance.

I didn't take a ton of pictures of the check-in process and I'm realizing that could have been useful. Masks are required in the port according to Canadian law. First, we lined up outside next to the building. Here, a cast member asked to see our ArriveCAN code so have that ready! Originally someone had told me to ask at the front of the line about being concierge, but they didn't separate the lines until you entered the building. Once inside there was a cast member who scanned your DCL QR/barcodes and then sent you to the actual check-in line. Here is where it split off to concierge. We went to the concierge line and they sent us to the first available cast member to check in. The people in front of us came back because the cast member said they couldn't check in concierge guests, but our cast member did an excellent job. She gave the boys their Oceaneer's Club bands and gave us gold stickers to demonstrate we were concierge. From here we went through security and then were directed to a concierge waiting area. It was just a smaller roped-off area with some chairs. Nothing fancy. We were one of the first people in the area, but it did fill up quickly. We chatted with a family across from us who recognized me from the Facebook group. Turns out they were our neighbors and in our Fish Extender group!

View attachment 682154

So, we were seated in the concierge area comfortably at least by 11:22 when the above photo was taken. So about 20 minutes for us to check-in. Then someone came down to a door on the opposite side of where we entered and ushered everyone to the gangway. This was a bit of a kerfuffle as there were a lot of people in a small area trying to get out, including some large family groups with wheelchairs. We just took our time knowing we'd be there soon enough! The next thing you know, they're announcing, "Welcome to the Disney Wonder, the Istre family!" So we waited about 20 minutes to board the ship in the concierge area/walk to the boat. But we boarded and took the boy's picture with Captain Mickey!

View attachment 682144

From the atrium, everyone was funneled into Azure where they helped you set up your phone with the app and get you set up for the muster drill. Once your phone is set up they send you off to your muster location where you check in with a cast member who checks you off the list once you take the picture and show them you've completed the drill. This was super easy to complete, although my husband's wouldn't show as completed and he was freaking out about it. The cast member said it was ok because we'd showed him on my phone and that meant we were checked in. It just took a few refreshes of the app for his to show up. The Marine in him needs to follow instructions and have the boxes checked. From there we headed off to Triton's for the concierge lunch.
View attachment 682145

The concierge lunch service was amazing! Our head server for lunch was Coco, who is a Palo server. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the assistant server's name, but he was fabulous as well. When we were seated they asked if we'd like some wine, we said yes and they brought us Layer Cake Shiraz. (There were a few choices he gave us after we said we wanted red.) We enjoy this wine and often get it for dinner in the dining room. Here is the one problem, they are VERY generous with the wine. Every time I turned around he was topping my glass off. I have no clue how much wine I drank with that lunch...so beware the concierge lunch! You will be tipsy, or even toasted, by the time it's over! LOL! I had the lobster salad, which was very good. (Probably a little too light of a lunch for all of that wine though...) The boys had asked for their drinks in wine glasses, and of course, our servers obliged. We joked a lot about being fancy on this cruise so they had pinkies up with their wine glasses! The boys had their first Mickey bars of the trip for dessert! I got carrot cake and the sundae, while my husband got the cheesecake. I thought the sundae was the best of the desserts! So good! Oh, and Angelina from the concierge team came by our table to introduce herself and went over some of our activities for the next day. It was a lovely lunch! We were happy campers afterward! ;)

View attachment 682146View attachment 682147View attachment 682148View attachment 682149
I'm realizing our head server Deniz is in this picture of my boys and their Mickey bars. He was a very involved head server and we really enjoyed him throughout the cruise!

I'll leave this update here and continue on with the embarkation day update in another post because I feel like I have a TON of pictures! See you real soon!
Awe Deniz was our head server in 2019! He was great! Your boys are so cute!

Loving this! We cruise in 35 days! And I think our husbands are kindred spirits lol

I have to apologize for the delay. I had spent a lot of time typing up and adding pictures of the rest of our embarkation day, hit post and it was all lost because our internet had gone out, unbeknownst to me. Working on getting it all typed up again!

How does your 8 year old rate the kids club? We have our first cruise on the 8th and want to prepare and excite my 8 year old twins.

How does your 8 year old rate the kids club? We have our first cruise on the 8th and want to prepare and excite my 8 year old twins.

My 8-year-old loved it and had a great time! Most of the time we had to drag him away! I think he only asked to be picked up once. On our 2019 cruise, my almost 10-year-old was not impressed with the club though, but he loved Edge this trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter