Chrisizzle

Mouseketeer
I’m surprised something like this doesn’t exist as a sticky post, let alone not finding anything in a search.

I’d like to compile a list of free things to do at Disney World... with perhaps honourable mentions for things under... I dunno... $20.

My personal catalyst for this is staying on property during the Marathon Weekend, but not buying park tickets. So, I’m looking for activities outside the park that don’t cost much.

I’ll specify it has to be something provided by Disney, and organized in someway (rather than a tip to ride the monorail... or someone saying they enjoy sitting silently in their room staring at a wall). :P

Free:
- Old Key West has a free resort tour called “The Legend of Conch Flats” and they go over the hidden details and history of the resort. I believe this is weekly and I have missed it in the past on Tuesday mornings. (Other resort tours reported at Animal Kingdom and Wilderness Lodge)
- Sanaa, Boma and Jiko have free restaurant tours. I’ve read about this and asked our Sanaa server two weeks ago. These tours start at 4pm and talk about the African inspired decor. There is supposed to be a small food tasting of some kind at the end.
- I’ve read that Wilderness Lodge has a formal Hidden Mickey Hunt. You can ask for a clue sheet at the front desk.
- Outdoor Movies: I believe all resorts host outdoor movies. However, the best sounds like Fort Wilderness due to the character meet with Chip & Dale.
- Electric Water Pageant: A 15-minute nightly water parade that is visible from Magic Kingdom area resorts.
- Character Wake Up Call: Not an activity, but a fun way to start the day. I understand wake up calls are done by character voices. I haven’t tried this yet because I hate waking up to a ringing phone.
- Watch MK fireworks from Polynesian, Grand Floridian or Contemporary resorts with synced music/sound provided.
- Campfires at resorts with s’mores.
- Live music at various resorts (Grand Floridian, Port Orleans, check resort amenities / recreation lists)
- DVC Tour: As a segue to the ’honourable mentions’ section, you can take a free DVC tour and get a $50 Disney gift card to fund the activities below.
- ??? What else is out there???

Almost Free:
- Various resorts have Fun Runs under 3km in length. I’ve done them at Old Key West and Port Orleans. They are $15 but you get a medal and one other bonus item (water bottle, pin, etc)
- Mini Golf (reported to be $14)
- ??? What else is out there???

Getting Pricy:
- Painting Classes at Port Orleans ($35), Top of the World Lounge (DVC and $50 with snacks), etc.
- Animation Classes at WIlderness Lodge (DVC and $40) and Art of Animation (Price ???).
- Renting a pontoon boat. $45/hr but boat holds 10 people making it cheap per person.

If You Have A Car:
- Volunteer at Give Kids The World: I took two shifts at this amazing charity. It’s an excellent use of your time. (Read my longer post below)

(I know there are various arts & crafts at different resorts. I don’t know them all but believe costs range from low to $50+ . Reply with anything you know and I’ll add it to the list where appropriate).

Last edited:

Movies Under the stars

Tentative Honorable mention: In addition to the free campfire, many of them will have s'mores kits you can buy as well.

Ride the monorail to each resort. Take the boat back.
Ride the boat from DS to the 3 resorts. Go to Port Orleans in the evening and watch Yehaa Bob's piano show (total not miss).
Watch the free entertainment at DS. Starts around 4 pm but there are other things like walking magicians, jugglers through the day.
Go to the Boardwalk area and watch free entertainers.
Kidani village use to have a scavenger hunt of proverbs. Many hotels have this. Ask at the front desk.

There is supposed to be a small food tasting of some kind at the end.
Actually, there's food tasting through out the tour in both Boma and Jiko.

Play checkers at Ft Wilderness in front of the store across from Trails End.
Take the cultural tours/talks at Animal Kingdom lodge. (Lots of free stuff at this hotel actually. Ask at the front desk).

Wilderness Lodge offers a resort tour as well. I believe it's every Wednesday.

Campfire at most resorts with free marshmallows. S'mores kits are extra.

Night vision animal viewing after dark at AKL. We've also experienced some of the cultural events mentioned above but I don't know the schedule.

Resort pools typically have free and low cost activities for kids.

POFQ has a jazz band at Scat Cats.

At least during the holiday season, doing the monorail loop and view all the holiday decorations is one of our favorite things to do. We'll spend the morning in MK, but then spend all afternoon on the loop. Take your time, as all of the loop resorts are absolutely amazing during the holidays!

How about a transportation "crawl"? We plan to take all forms of Disney transport during our no parks trip in a few weeks. Bus, monorail, gondola, water taxis, walking paths and Minnie Van (okay this one is not free).

I love to plan an "off day"! I've seen most of the free things my family likes (movies under the stars, games at pools, riding the monorail for fun!) already posted. Here are a few Honorable Mentions:

Exploring Disney Springs is a great free option with lots of honorable mentions worth doing like the hot air balloon, bowling at Splitsville, or catching a movie at the AMC.
A low-cost honorable mention is cane pole fishing at Port Orleans Riverside (followed by a walk or boat ride to French Quarter for beignets)!

A low-cost honorable mention is cane pole fishing at Port Orleans Riverside (followed by a walk or boat ride to French Quarter for beignets)!

What is “cane pole fishing”?
Is it an official activity offered by Riverside resort?
I wish I had caught that while staying at Port Orleans last year.

What is “cane pole fishing”?
Is it an official activity offered by Riverside resort?
I wish I had caught that while staying at Port Orleans last year.
Chrisizzle - There's a small dock in the Aligator Bayou section, not far from Old Man Island. You can rent old fashion cane fishing poles (just a pole with line and a hook) and you get a bucket of bait. We love it and do it every time we stay at Port Orleans. It's catch-and-release, but we haven't actually done much catching :) Super fun anyway!

I just added “Volunteering at Give Kids The World” as an option to the list above if you have a car.

I looked into it after watching this video from The Dis. They have multiple shifts and can work within your availability. I took two shifts over two days. I helped at the arcade, signing out games and sports equipment, and then helped at an evening Pirate & Princess party. I think shifts can be as short as 90-minutes, but we met people who make volunteering their entire trip to Orlando.

I’d highly recommend doing this as a “free“ activity around Disney World if you have a car (about a 20-minute drive).

...and renting a pontoon or the little racers for an hour - the racers are fun but the pontoon can take up to ten people and is a bargain for $45

If you’re staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge, there’s a family craft and game room called Simba’s Clubhouse! My daughter and I spent hours there this week!

There are the little rides located at Disney Springs too - from memory a carrousel and a little train?

Point of order but nothing’s “free” at WDW unless you haven’t paid for a park ticket and aren’t staying at their resorts. More apropos to say “no additional cost” things to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter