Free TSA Pre-Check With Southwest?

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
We're a couple of old f@rts who, over the last 5 years have taken 5 round trips from PHL to MCO, always in late Oct early Nov. The last 3 trips we got pre-check on our SW flights, we assume because of our travel profile. Anyone get this on SW recently? Probably won't pay for the service but it was nice getting it.

Bill From PA

I am in the process of doing the pre-check and had an older coworker that got it for free the last time she flew, but did not know what it was. She thought maybe she would get that all the time, I had to tell her that she might, but not always.

Got it on Southwest flights from Long Island-Orlando in September (both ways). Got it from JFK-Buffalo on Jet Blue in September (both ways).

When TSAPre was first introduced, TSA asked selected US carriers (including SWA) for a list of their frequent flyer customers and those customers travel records. Based on that information, some of those frequent flyers were given pre-check either randomly, occasionally or pretty much always. This was before you could sign up for it and had to pay for it. DW and I were fortunate enough to get it back in those early days.Virtually every flight we've had in the past 6 years had been Pre. There was a 9 month period in 2014/2015 where I was dealing with an identity theft issue and the Fed's were involved. During that period of time I did not get Pre, but DW did. The ID theft issue was finally resolved (and I received a letter from the Feds telling me so). A week later I had a flight - got Pre again. I've had it on every flight since then, all of which were SWA up until our flight 2 weeks ago which was on Alaska. I was stunned to see that we both had Pre. I've never paid for it and don't have a KTN, but it appears that we are in the TSA "approved" database. Could've just been random chance, of course.

I have gone through more than 1 FBI background check in my life, though. But DW never has.

Steve

It has nothing to do with the airline.
My niece has gotten it a few times on SWA.
My whole family got it on our way home from Oahu flying on United.
They are profiling you and they do tend to randomly give pre check to people they don't see as a threat.

I get it just about every time I fly BDL to MCO. DH and DD have had good luck with it too. I’m spoiled.

We all flew to FL in April, DH, DD, and DS and I fly about once a year, my sister, BIL, and 1 niece have been on flight prior to this past one time each in last 5 years, other niece got pre-check and no one else did. She hadn't been on a plane in 10 years. She was 16 at that time. I'm not sure what their decision making process is? o_O

Just logged in today to print our boarding passes for Southwest for our flight tomorrow.
Purchased EBCI and got A31 and A32 and TSA pre-check. Flying from EWR to MCO and
only one or two non-stops from EWR each day. We fly twice a year and fortunately
have gotten TSA so far each time. Airline doesn't matter since DH has never flown SW.

We got it once or twice but then never again.
It was just better to pay the money, $85 for 5 years is such a tiny portion of travel costs, and know I had it than wonder.
Anyone who flies in/out of MCO should have it. Makes a HUGE difference at MCO
We also paid the 85$ specifically because of MCO long security lines...well worth it.

I tell people not to count on getting precheck. Yes, it's nice to get it. But it's not a sure thing. I truly think the TSA is trying to get people used to having it...then, they'll take it away, saying that everyone has to now purchase it.

I tell people not to count on getting precheck. Yes, it's nice to get it. But it's not a sure thing. I truly think the TSA is trying to get people used to having it...then, they'll take it away, saying that everyone has to now purchase it.
That definitely happened for me. I got pre-check on about 10 RT flights for work, and then one day I didn't get it anymore. I was super unhappy back in the regular line, and decided to sign up for Global Entry. I am sure it's a bit of profiling as well, but basically the airlines have lists of people who fly a lot and I am sure that influences who might get it.

I was getting it regularly with SWA but when my dd was no longer able to go through with me (and waited in a really long line in Phl) I decided to purchase it for all of us. Like a pp said the $85 for five years is well worth it - especially at MCO!

edited to fix typo

Last edited:
We got it once or twice but then never again.
It was just better to pay the money, $85 for 5 years is such a tiny portion of travel costs, and know I had it than wonder.
Anyone who flies in/out of MCO should have it. Makes a HUGE difference at MCO

The flight from MCO back home is the only reason I bought it, even if I don't fly again the entire 5 years its valid (which is unlikely) 85 bucks to not deal with the hassle of regular security is worth it

I use to get it often, but husband randomly. It was worth the $17 a year to signup. Glad we did because we get it all the time now. Are you going to kick yourself when you don't get it and have to wait 30+ minutes in the security line? It doesn't cost that much. We fly about 10 times a year, so was a no brainer for us. Security at mco is horrible.

My 17 year old son gets precheck every time he flies, since he was 15 years old. Me..... Never. It's just not fair

and oddly enough, I have never had an issue with clearing security at MCO, 10 maybe 15 minutes tops. Just jinxed it!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter