Freezing the Night Away: Norway/Iceland/Scotland August 2022

otten

DIS Veteran
Starting a pre trip report because if I think I am boring my husband with all the planning conversations. Oh how I have missed trip planning. While I am still not 100 percent certain that we will be able to go I have gradually learned to accept that 100 percent certainty just isn't possible so I need to forge ahead.

Anyway, we're booked on the August 17 Norway/Iceland/Scotland out of Copenhagen. Like many this trip is 2 years in the making. We originally booked the 2021 Baltic, using our 40 percent off discount from the 'unprecedented' 2020 WB Panama Canal cruise. I doubt we ever could have justified the cost of a Disney Europe cruise without that discount. When that cruise was cancelled last bring the 2022 version was scheduled for late July and thus much more expensive than the 2021 version so we decided to switch to this one. Just as well since we had booked mostly for the St Petersburg overnight and well, we all know what happened there.

In any case, as a long time knitter, former highland dance and someone who identifies much more with the Scottish half of my ancestry than any other , this itinerary holds a lot of appeal. We are making a longer trip of it and spending some time in Paris first, for a total of 3 weeks for the trip.

Who:
Me - 40, the planner. I love Disney, particularly the villains.
DH - also 40, more into Marvel and Star Wars, likes travel but hates planning
Ava - 10 still very much into Disney magic, also likes villains, and Star Wars
Isa - 8 loves Disney, especially all the Disney dogs

This will be our 3rd Disney cruise although by the end of it we will have 32 sailing nights!

Copenhagen and Alesund Plans

I haven't made any plans for Copenhagen yet, save for booking the flight and hotel. We might visit a castle or depending on how we're feeling after a few days in Paris we might stick to a low key day. We're staying at the Tivoli Hotel and Conference Centre which has DCL transfers though I haven't yet decided if we'll book those.

Alesund
The first port of call is in Alesund Norway. I don't think we'll book excursions here. It sounds like there are some interesting walks to do here and there is also a yarn store within walking distance of the pier.

Reykjavik Plans/Isafjordur/Akureyri Plans

In Reykjavik we plan on booking a Golden Circle tour, either through Disney or someone else. We have a long/late port stop here, until 10 pm but they removed the overnight that was originally scheduled and replaced it with Isafjordur.

Isafjordur
My husband is supposed to be researching options here so that it doesn't seem like I am controlling the whole itinerary

Akureyri
We're doing a group tour through our cruise group here that visits the highlights. It should be a good time and a few people from our WBPC will be on this tour.

Kirkwall/Invergordon

Ah yes the port stops that inspired this pre trip report because I am driving my husband crazy talking about plans for these two ports

Kirkwall
I am working with a private tour provider to arrange a tour that visits the famous neolithic sites but which also highlights the rich agricultural of Orkney. In particular we will visit a sheep farm and also a wool processor and maybe some other craft shops. Non-knitters would probably think this a strange choice but I am exceedingly excited about it. The Orkney islands are home to a few breeds of sheep that exist nowhere else.

Invergordon/Inverness
As a longtime highland dancer my main plans here are to go to Inverness and visit some of the kiltmaking/tartan shops. I danced at the military tattoo in Inverness (which unfortunately shut down several years ago) 20 years ago and I am looking forward to going back.

We’ll be on this sailing as well, thanks to the discount associated with the Wish delay. Traveling with my husband and two kids, ages 9 and 7.

Sounds like you have some great plans laid out!

Our 90 window opened a couple weeks ago. No surprise, Palo brunch was sold out and most tastings but I did get a Palo dinner and I’ll keep checking for openings. I did get a wine tasting, mixology and martini tasting though I am hoping to get a chocolate an liquor in which case I’ll drop the martini tasting.

They just announced an itinerary change again, giving us back our overnight in Reykjavik so instead of choosing between the Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon we can do both. The second day is only until 1 though so not a lot of options. Although maybe they’ll end up adding some more onboard activities that afternoon.

Our plans for the rest of the trip are coming along as well.

Scored a Palo brunch! Woo hoo! I was so used to getting the error message when searching that I almost missed that it was actually showing an available time. YES! I also got a chocolate and liquor tasting. So the only thing on my wishlist that's missing is champagne tasting.

Our original flight itinerary to return to Vancouver was changed. I only happened to notice because I was checking something else on our reservation. AF didn't actually notify us. The new itinerary gave us an overnight layover in Seattle and well no thank you. When I called they were able to offer us a nonstop to Vancouver a day later so we're getting an extra day in Paris. With that extra day I have convinced my unDisney husband to do a day in Disneyland Paris. I know a single day isn't a lot but who knows when we'll have another change to go. So now that the cruise/land trip is mostly planned I am turning my attention to DLP research.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter