French Quarter to the Fantasy...7 Nights in the Eastern Caribbean, April 2019! Completed June 7, 2020!

I love how they announce your name and clap when you get on the ship--like royalty :) I remember being SO excited for that on our Honeymoon.

I know most people do Cabanas on embarkation day. Have you ever done the table service lunch they offer? I'm just curious if it's really as slow as they say, or if it might be nice/ less crowded as an option.

We got 11:45 for our Port Arrival time, so I'm hoping we have plenty of time before everything gets TOO crowded, but we've only sailed on the Wonder, so not sure how crowds will be on the bigger ship.

I know most people do Cabanas on embarkation day. Have you ever done the table service lunch they offer? I'm just curious if it's really as slow as they say, or if it might be nice/ less crowded as an option.

We love lunch at Cabanas and look forward to it while we're waiting for our cruise, so we've never tried anywhere else. I like getting to choose exactly what I want, when I want it. Plus, I get enough of the MDRs for dinner. Some people love sitting down and being served, though, I'm just not one of them.

We got 11:45 for our Port Arrival time, so I'm hoping we have plenty of time before everything gets TOO crowded, but we've only sailed on the Wonder, so not sure how crowds will be on the bigger ship.

I'm sure it'll be fine. There are more people on the bigger ships, but the spaces are bigger too, so I never noticed that it felt more crowded...except on Castaway Cay, maybe.

APRIL 6, 2019
STATEROOM 9614

By the time we got to our room, the kids had already gotten there.
But they've been around long enough to know to not make a mess until I get my pictures!

Now presenting Stateroom 9614-

(Clearly, this picture was taken after our bags arrived and we unpacked,
but it just seems to make more sense here.)

You can see our CC gift on the bed here, another backpack.

I loved this stateroom and would definitely get it again if traveling with a family.

It was a Deluxe Family
Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah 4A, and technically mid-ship but it was sort of between mid-ship and aft, and the location was ideal for running up to Cabanas for drinks, etc.
Plus, this room has a Murphy bed tucked in the corner so we all got our own beds to sleep in.
I'll post more pictures of that later, but if you can imagine, traveling with a group such as ours
can be a pain when it comes to sleeping spaces.
Allie inevitably ends up having to share with me and complains the whole time.
This way, everyone was happy :goodvibes

Shortly before our cruise, DCL made the changeover to full size,
refillable soap, shampoo and lotion bottles in the stateroom bathrooms.
I was kind of sad because I LOVE taking our leftovers home with us, but I get why they have to do it.
But honestly, these bottles were kind of torture to use in the shower.
They are super slippery, and you have to push the pump at least 20 times
to get a normal amount of soap out of them, which was kind of annoying.

Also, the lotion bottle in our room had a weird watery layer floating on top of the lotion,
like it had separated. I asked our stateroom host (John, who was amazing!) on the first day to replace it
and he brought us a brand new bottle so we didn't have any more issues with it after that.

The only other negative thing I can say about our room is that we had a terrible muster station...
more to come on that later...but aside from that, I wouldn't hesitate to book this stateroom again.

The beginning of a cruise is always so fun! It's always exciting to get your bearings and explore your surroundings.

Your room looks very nice! I'm a bit sad about the switch to the full-size toiletries, too - I loved taking home a huge bag of Disney toiletries! From an environmental standpoint I completely understand (and actually agree), but... I'll miss my little bottles of shampoo and lotion once I'm home to remind me of my trip!

YOUR VOYAGE BEGINS TODAY!
But I'm not even packed!!!!
Our plan was to grab some beignets because we had been at POFQ for 4-nights
and had yet to try them.
I'm sorry... how is this possible???
I think there's some sort of law against that and we needed to rectify the situation
so as not to be thrown in Disney Jail.
You were skirting on the ragged edge there.
Well, hello gorgeous.
The last time I sat up front with a driver (from a different company), he didn't shut up the whole drive and actually talked so much that he forgot we wanted to stop at the grocery store and had to circle back.
:sad2:
I figured Nicholas would probably sit there with his headphones on and tune him out if that was the case this time :rotfl:
:laughing: And who says we can't learn from our children!?!?
arrived around 11:30 am to see this gorgeous ship just waiting for us :love: 🚢⚓
Which would've been an even better statement... if it hadn't been your ship! :laughing:
Hey, look! It's the Cruising Family!
On our first couple of cruises, we were always a little confused about what to say when they asked our last name, because we all have different last names.
Now we just make something up, even though it sounds a little goofy.
Oh, man... I would so use this!
Announcing... the Titanic Family!
...the Sinking Family!
…the Louis-Sitania Family!
The possibilities are endless!
Once on the ship, where did we head first??

If you've been on DCL, where do you head first?
I've never cruised, so no idea!
mmmm… shrimp and cocktail sauce... yes please.
Allie got her first of many chicken nugget & french fries meals...
<sigh>… of course.
And I have no idea what Nicholas got (besides coffee)
because he must've finished before I even came back to the table.
Poor kid must've been starving!
We walked through Sweet On You which was adorable,
but we ultimately never ended up buying anything from here all week
since there was always so much other food around.
Makes sense...

But they've been around long enough to know to not make a mess until I get my pictures!

:laughing: reminds me of my last trip. "Dad? Don't you want to take a picture, first?"
Nice decals. :)
I loved this stateroom and would definitely get it again if traveling with a family.
It looks pretty roomy!
the location was ideal for running up to Cabanas for drinks, etc.
Nice!
Plus, this room has a Murphy bed tucked in the corner so we all got our own beds to sleep in.
Ah! Was wondering if it did.
But honestly, these bottles were kind of torture to use in the shower.
They are super slippery, and you have to push the pump at least 20 times
to get a normal amount of soap out of them, which was kind of annoying.
Huh. Hadn't thought that'd be a problem. Apparently it was.

We had FL Tours scheduled to pick us up around 10 am
Doesn't Disney have buses that take you???

On our first couple of cruises, we were always a little confused about what to say when they asked our last name, because we all have different last names.
Now we just make something up, even though it sounds a little goofy.
Before I even saw this I was wondering that Nicholas would say since you all had different last names. Love the idea of just making one up!

If you've been on DCL, where do you head first?
Ive never been but you know where I'd head :drinking1

but I hit the salad bar and the shrimp bar.
Not where I would have gone, but oh so Kelly ❤

Love all the door decorations. Did you make those?

I'll post more pictures of that later, but if you can imagine, traveling with a group such as ours
can be a pain when it comes to sleeping spaces.
I was wondering where you all were going to sleep!

Your room looks very nice! I'm a bit sad about the switch to the full-size toiletries, too - I loved taking home a huge bag of Disney toiletries! From an environmental standpoint I completely understand (and actually agree), but... I'll miss my little bottles of shampoo and lotion once I'm home to remind me of my trip!

Well if you're anything like me, I'm sure you have a giant Ziploc Bag full of these things! I know I do, and I likely won't ever use them now that they're become scarce!

Loving your review so far! Thank you for taking the time to write it!

Lisa

Thank you, and :welcome:! Thanks for reading!

I'm sorry... how is this possible???

That's what you get when you're only there for a few days. Lucky for me, I'll have another chance to try them properly n March and then again in October ::yes::

Oh, man... I would so use this!
Announcing... the Titanic Family!
...the Sinking Family!
…the Louis-Sitania Family!
The possibilities are endless!

Those sound like WAY more fun options :rotfl:!

The Seasick Family!
The Capsize Family!
The Unhappy Family!
The Annoying Family!

Maybe next time!

<sigh>… of course.

I've failed as a mother :sad2:

Poor kid must've been starving!

Must eat every hour :furious:

Huh. Hadn't thought that'd be a problem.

Defeinitely a first world problem, and in no way detracted from the amazing cruise :goodvibes

Doesn't Disney have buses that take you???

They do, but they typically get you to the port later...like 12:30-1pm...with no stop for wine on the way. For about the same price, we get picked up early, stop for wine, and have more time to spend on the ship :thumbsup2

Before I even saw this I was wondering that Nicholas would say since you all had different last names. Love the idea of just making one up!

I like @pkondz 's suggestions even better!

Ive never been but you know where I'd head :drinking1

Well, lucky for you, that's pretty much EVERYWHERE on the ship :drinking1

Not where I would have gone, but oh so Kelly ❤

Sorry :blush:

Love all the door decorations. Did you make those?

Not even close...I don't have the time or patience for that. Plus, these lovely, crafty people on ETSY do such a nice job :thumbsup2

APRIL 6, 2019
SAILING AWAY PARTY

Our stateroom host left these on the desk for us.
They were our port adventures tickets,
plus an invitation to the DVC meet that starts at 2 pm on embarkation day.
We left the kids hanging out on the verandah soaking in their last bit of internet for the week,

and my mom and I headed to the D-Lounge where Cinderella was waiting to meet us...

and so were these little beauties...

I think they were Rum Runners?? They were sweet but delicious 😋.

This is the third time I've gone to the DVC meet on a Disney Cruise.
If you've never been, it's really just kind of a sales pitch to get you to buy more points.
I mostly just go to get a free drink and enter the drawing for some on-board stateroom credit.
On the Dream and the Wonder, I went and scheduled to meet with a guide after,
and got lots of extra fastpasses just for going.
That came in handy because we were heading to the parks right after both of those cruises.
Since we would be going home right after this one,
I didn't bother putting my name in for the extra fastpasses.
I don't know how that would work if we weren't going back for a year??

However, I did end up winning the drawing for on-board credit at this meet!
I think it was $100 and I was absolutely stunned when they called my name
since I never win anything! So in the end I was really happy we went to this.

But then, life said, "well, stop being so happy," and as we were leaving,
some old lady rammed into the back of my ankle with her scooter.
That was awesome :sad2:
She barely apologized and drove off and left me standing there with a bleeding ankle.
I could only chalk it up to her being served one too many Rum Runners possibly,
and every time I saw her after that on the cruise, I made it a point to steer clear of her.

After that, I limped back to the room and met the kids to go to Muster.
I mentioned earlier that we had a terrible Muster Station.
It was down on Deck 4 and in the direct sunlight with no where to sit while we waited.
I didn't really care for myself, but I felt bad for my mom having to stand there the whole time.
On the Wonder, we had a similar Muster Station and one of the Crew Members let my mom out before anyone else so she could head up to Deck 9 for the Sail Away Party and not get trampled by 4,000 people. No such luck this time and after Muster ended, we were crushed in with the hoards of people and being that we were on the 4th Deck, my mom couldn't walk all the way up to Deck 9 and I was afraid I'd lose her since she seems to get turned around, so I waited for the elevator with her. The kids went up the stairs and eventually we all made it up for the Sailing Away Party...

And yes, @kastoney I did get a cocktail for the party...

Cheers :drinking1

Allie came and sat with us and brought us a plate of fruit to share...

And then we all went off to check out VIBE...please excuse my corny, "Mom Talk." :crazy2:

VIBE pictures coming up next!

My wife and I won the $200 drawing at the end of our DVC meeting in 2017. We ending up buying resale the week after the cruise.

We left the kids hanging out on the verandah soaking in their last bit of internet for the week,
Oh, the horror!!!!!
I think they were Rum Runners?? They were sweet but delicious 😋.
I was going to say they looked good, but... rum. nope.
This is the third time I've gone to the DVC meet on a Disney Cruise.
If you've never been, it's really just kind of a sales pitch to get you to buy more points.
::yes::
On the Dream and the Wonder, I went and scheduled to meet with a guide after,
and got lots of extra fastpasses just for going.
Good reason to go, right there. :)
However, I did end up winning the drawing for on-board credit at this meet!
I think it was $100 and I was absolutely stunned when they called my name
Nice! Way to go, Kelly!!
But then, life said, "well, stop being so happy," and as we were leaving,
some old lady rammed into the back of my ankle with her scooter.
That was awesome :sad2:
:sad2:
Sorry to hear that.
I really don't like some people...
She barely apologized and drove off and left me standing there with a bleeding ankle.
Wow. So not cool.
and every time I saw her after that on the cruise, I made it a point to steer clear of her.
"and every time I saw her after that, I'd wait until she parked and drain her battery."
It was down on Deck 4 and in the direct sunlight with no where to sit while we waited.
Not great all right.
No such luck this time and after Muster ended, we were crushed in with the hoards of people and being that we were on the 4th Deck, my mom couldn't walk all the way up to Deck 9 and I was afraid I'd lose her since she seems to get turned around, so I waited for the elevator with her.
:(
That sounds like no fun at all.
And yes, @kastoney I did get a cocktail for the party...
I would hope so!

Hooray for stateroom credit!!!!! That would be amazing. Bummer about the bloody ankle though. :( That sounds terrible.

Mmmmm, that sail away drink looks like the Pina Colava I usually order at the Petals bar at Pop Century. Yummy!

And then we all went off to check out VIBE...please excuse my corny, "Mom Talk." :crazy2:
That was so cute!! "I love Scattegories" :)

My wife and I won the $200 drawing at the end of our DVC meeting in 2017. We ending up buying resale the week after the cruise.

Awesome! Honestly, our prize may have been $200, I just can't remember. I just know I won!

I was going to say they looked good, but... rum. nope.

I don't think the rum was overpowering, otherwise it would be a no for me too :crazy2:

Good reason to go, right there. :)

So hurry and book your cruise now to get some extra fastpasses!

That sounds like no fun at all.

The muster drill is pretty unpleasant no matter where the station is, so it's always nice when it's over and you can get on with the cruise!

Mmmmm, that sail away drink looks like the Pina Colava I usually order at the Petals bar at Pop Century. Yummy!

That's what it is! I love those :love: I didn't realize they had them at Pop! 😋

That was so cute!! "I love Scattegories" :)

It's nice of you to say, but it's kind of cringey! :P I showed it to NIcholas and his girlfriend yesterday and they were making fun of me!

April 6, 2019
OUTSIDE VIBE

You'll be surprised to learn that we did finally figure out the door, thanks to Nicholas...
and I did get some pics outside VIBE...

I think this area is so cool for teens, I know mine loved it and spent a LOT of time up here!

We had Main Dining and by the time we were done poking around VIBE, it was time to head down to dinner.

Our first night's dinner was in Royal Court...

That menu and food pics up next!

I thought I'd commented after your last update, but apparently not! :laughing: I guess I'll have to comment on both updates!

That's a bummer about your muster station being out in the sun with no seating. It's makes a boring (yet nonetheless important) thing worse. That's an additional bummer about your ankle - I know it can be hard to steer and stop the ECVs, but she should've at least apologized!

Hooray for winning the ship credit! I'm sure you put it to good use.

Vibe looks like great fun. It's so nice that they have special areas for kids of all ages.

I'm excited to see what you thought of your first dinner!

APRIL 6, 2019
ROYAL COURT DINNER AND REVIEW

As I said, our dinner the first night was in Royal Court.

We shared the Iced Lobster and Shrimp appetizer.

Sadly, I got this Farmhouse Salad and as much as I love salad, I did not care for this at all...

The Chateaubriand Filet was delicious, though,
and I think this is what we all got since I don't have pics of anyone else's food.

My mom and I couldn't decided on which desserts to get, so we decided to get a couple to share...

The Grand-Marnier Souffle and Creme Brulee.
People rave about the GM Souffle, but we both actually preferred the Creme Brulee.

Allie is a chocolate girl and always orders whatever is chocolate on the menu...

And Nicholas got the Strawberry Shortcake Sundae.

Overall, dinner was fine. In general, I am not a huge fan of the main dining rooms on DCL,
with the exception of Animator's Palate on every ship, and Tiana's Place on the Wonder
(although I haven't been on the Magic since 2012 and I think I'd like the new Tangled dining room),
and Royal Court is maybe my least favorite of all. Also, our servers we had this time were just okay...
I don't even recall their names, but our head server kept touching his nose and kind of grossed me out
and then we were stuck with him all week.
It wasn't bad enough that I would go and complain and switch
but it was kind of unappetizing...to say the least.
I also don't really love how long every meal takes.
If it were a special occasion meal, or Palo, I don't mind it taking two hours, but in general,
I prefer dinner to be around one hour. We all start getting antsy after that.

The one really good thing was that we had requested our own table and our request was granted.
However, since the tables are so close together, this night we were sat next to a very annoying family
and the son who was around 9-10 years old, would obnoxiously cry and yell for the first 30 minutes
of the dinner. Eventually they gave him an ipad and he quieted down for the most part,
but at first we were a little uncomfortable.
Thankfully, this was the last night we saw them in the MDR.
I was worried because I though we'd be sitting next to them all week.

Also, personally, the food to me is just okay.
Some of it is too fancy for me...I'm looking at you Duck...and in my opinion, I just don't really like it.
Luckily, there is usually a beef entree on the menu, but even that gets old night after night.

Because of all of these reasons, we actually skipped the MDR twice for Cabanas and once for room service, because sometimes you just need a BLT and chips for dinner ::yes::

For all these reasons, the one thing I am really WISH-ing for on the new ships is a dinner buffet option.
I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Until then, we've learned what works for us and still love DCL in spite of the dinner woes.

Up next, more ship exploration with lots of nighttime pics and pics of the adults-only areas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter