Frightfully Fun October Exercise Challenge

Twilight Sparkle

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the October Exercise Challenge! This month we'll be looking at Disney Halloween movies as we move our way towards the end of the month and the frightfully fun holiday of tricks and treats.

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back; if you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal, and posts minutes toward that goal as they exercise. You decide what movement counts towards your goal, which can be a set monthly number or calculated based on a target number of minutes per day. Since October has 31 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing. Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress. This month, we have:

Boo to You Blue - 10%
Jack-o-lantern Orange - 25%
Hocus Pocus Purple - 50%
Precious Princesses Pink - 75%
Vampire Red - 90%
Witch's Brew WISH Green - 100%

We’re officially starting this challenge on October 1, but if you don’t find this thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list.

Participants:

sophy1996 1035/1000
Elizabeth Smith 675/660
Twilight Sparkle 1340/930

PollyannaMom 390/500
Shrfleen 505/620

TEAM: 3945/3710

Last edited:

I'm in again as well. Life has been super-busy, so I'm just shooting for an even 500 minutes this time.

Thanks for volunteering to host, and it sounds like a fun theme. - I love some of the Disney Halloween movies!

Happy October, everyone! Thank you for joining in! Let's get this month started with the oldest movie from an online list I found of Disney's Halloween movies. THE ADVENTURES OF ICHABOD AND MR. TOAD was released October 5,1949 and was created by the one and only Mr. Walt Disney. This movie is just over an hour long, and the DISDB site describes it as having "two parts to the film, one part features Mr. Toad and the other part features Ichabod Crane. The Adventures of Mr. Toad features a character named J. Thaddeus Toad. He is a wealthy, carefree toad who craves adventure and loves to have fun. Mr. Toad ends up deep in debt and thrown into prison. Mr. Toad later escapes, and with the help of some friends, ends up saving a place called Toad Hall from evil weasels. The story of Ichabod is based on The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow. Ichabod is a school master who recently moved to Sleepy Hollow and ends up in a confrontation with the legendary headless horsemen. Both tales are classics that helped make Walt Disney Studios what it is today." The Mr. Toad portion of the movie is based on the classic The Wind in the Willows. I've heard there was a much beloved ride featuring Mr. Toad, but apparently it closed before I ever visited WDW. You can, however, still catch the original Ichabod portion of this movie around Halloween at WDW's Ft. Wilderness: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...at-disneys-fort-wilderness-resort-campground/ .

Here's a look at the theatrical trailer:

We're starting to see some numbers on the board, so let's skip ahead several years to the next movie on the list, THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS. Released on October 24, 1980, this movie was "One of Walt Disney Productions most "un-Disney-like" films . . . a mystery-horror release directed by John Hough. The film stars screen legend Bette Davis, Lynn-Holly Johnson, Carroll Baker, David McCallum and Kyle Richards.

Filmed in England, which contributes effective atmosphere to the spooky tale, Watcher revolves around two sisters who find themselves almost obsessed with the story of a missing girl in the ominous-looking woods that surround their English countryside home. It turns out the missing girl bears a striking resemblance to the oldest daughter (Johnson), according to the grandmother (Davis), who coincidentally is the owner of the house.

Dark, brooding and ominous throughout, Watcher In the Woods is easily one of the "scariest" Disney films ever produced, remarkably so, since nearly all of the "violence" is implied, never seen. Kudos to Hough's direction and the cinematography for setting a foreboding tone and maintaining it." (DISDB)

I just watched the trailer and think that's enough for me. The spooky factor must be what landed it on the Disney Halloween movie list. Not sure I could handle the whole movie:

Have any of you ever watched this movie? I was fairly young when it was released, so I missed out.

60-minute Pilates class

110/1000

And a 20-minute evening walk

130/1000

I haven't seen The Watcher in the Woods, and having read the description, I think that will remain the case. Sometimes stuff that is implied is way scarier than gore.

Last edited:
Sun 10/1 - 20 minutes
Mon 10/2 - 10 minutes
Tues 10/3 - 30 minutes
Wed 10/4 - 60 minutes
--------------------------
Total - 120/500

Most of this is my usual walking, but the best few minutes were running around the yard with my little "niece" and "nephew" today - a perfect fall day, and a crazy, no-rules game of tag with two-year-olds!

I remember seeing the Ichabod cartoon a few times when I was I kid, but I haven't seen Watcher in the Woods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!