From Previous Thread Questions About Middle Names on ESTA and Covid Certs

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
This was a question from ages ago and I though I'd update as I'm just back from California.

I have a middle name on my passport.

I did not put a middle name on my ESTA

I do not have a middle name on my EU Digital Covid Vaccine Cert.

I did not put a middle name on my airline Advance Passenger Information.

People were getting all in a tizzy and redoing ESTA's and contacting health care providers to get a middle name on their Vaccine Certs.

I had no issues with not having a middle name on documents. I showed a print out of my vaccine cert at the airline check in, I also uploaded a photo of the cert to the airline. The airline staff just check that it is a valid cert and that the name matches on the passport.

I flew with Delta , Dublin to LAX, LAX to Dublin. I did US Preclearance and got my passport stamped at Dublin airport.

At LAX airport, I checked in at the check in desk and once the staff member scanned my passport, the document check screens came up. Again no issues, I showed the print out of my vaccine cert, she checked it was valid and then on to the next part of check in process.

At Dublin airport, at passport control I was asked for my vaccine cert. I had it in my passport and it was scanned and handed back to me.

I have not heard of anyone having issues, but the ESTA does ask for all names in the name field of the passport, so for the sake of $14 I prosnally would re-do the application as I know I would worry otherwise.

The middle name on ESTA appears to have a grace period at the moment, most likely because they last for a 2 year period. However the ESTA completion is definitely different now in how it requests the names to be shown and I believe at some point in the future it will be compulsory, we just dont know when and I would personally not take the chance on it

With regard to the middle name on Covid certs, once people started travelling to USA it became apparant that the USA were not making any issue of it. Other countries ie Hong Kong did however require the names to match exactly including middle names. This is likely to become even more of a non issue though as things start to return to normal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter