Frozen: dealing with prejudice people

Dustythespokesplane

Earning My Ears
out of all the discrimination i've seen, discrimination of frozen is where i draw the line. people are calling frozen "racist" and sexist". i can't stand to see it anymore :eek: . so i ask you, my fellow people of Disney, :sad1: , what will we do about the prejudice people? i cannot think of anything more to do than post this threads. any ideas on why they're saying this or how to deal with them?

I don't know what you're talking about. I remember some flack a while before it came out over an animator talking about making the princesses pretty, but that died away long ago and clearly isn't having an impact.

Whoever it is I'd say the best way to deal with them is to point and laugh as you walk away.

I think you need to: 1) learn to separate criticism of the people who make something from criticism of the thing itself, 2) learn not to take that criticism personally just because you like the thing, and 3) enjoy the things you want to enjoy regardless of others' thoughts on them.

I haven't heard anyone call it sexist. It is all about girl power! I read an article claiming the movie was racist for having almost all white characters. (There was a mixed audience in the ballroom.) However, I don't think the claim ever got any traction and I have read nothing in the press in the last 5 weeks about it. It is a Scandinavian tale, so it is hard to have a problem with the characters.

Don't let it get you. There are stupid people everywhere. Roll your eyes, laugh, and walk away. Unless it is aimed at someone and you are nearby, then stand up for that person.

Go watch ABC's "What Would You Do?" with John Quinones to get ideas of how to deal with racism. It is a wonderfully uplifting show where they have actors portray various negative things in public, including racism, and film the response of the general public. People of all ages, shapes, sizes, income levels, and creeds step up and really take on those that are wrong. I love that show. You can find it online. It is inspiring.

As to how to deal with claims that Frozen is racist: Just ignore it, laugh, say that is interesting, no one else thinks so, etc.

out of all the discrimination i've seen, discrimination of frozen is where i draw the line. people are calling frozen "racist" and sexist". i can't stand to see it anymore :eek: . so i ask you, my fellow people of Disney, :sad1: , what will we do about the prejudice people? i cannot think of anything more to do than post this threads. any ideas on why they're saying this or how to deal with them?

???

Haven't yet seen the movie but know alot that have, and they loved it.

Racist? Interesting

Sexist? Please explain

First post? The rule...

All I can think is you got your Disney movies confused this week, maybe talking about Meryl and her (sour grapes) opinions about Mr Disney while at the gala...

You literally cannot do anything in Hollywood without somebody calling it racist and crying racism is a popular tactic when you've run out of rational arguments. Honestly, I'm surprised the anti fp+ people on the other board haven't tried it yet. Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

You literally cannot do anything in Hollywood without somebody calling it racist and crying racism is a popular tactic when you've run out of rational arguments. Honestly, I'm surprised the anti fp+ people on the other board haven't tried it yet. Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I'm one of them and I love Frozen. :thumbsup2

The only SLIGHTLY legit issue with sexism in the movie is if you were expecting them to do a straight version of the original tale. In the original Snow Queen, the female heroine, Gerda (not a princess, just a girl) is on a quest to save her male childhood friend Kai. She gets involved with a lot of various adventures, including if I remember correctly, witches and pirates, and they are all strong female characters, and in the end she does save Kai from the Snow Queen.
So some people were a bit upset when suddenly posters and other hints were coming out that there would be two guys! And one of them would be helping Anna! And it was two princesses!
So it really did seem like the female heroine was being weakened.
HOWEVER.
The finished project bears no resemblance to the original tale whatsoever, and so those issues no longer apply.
As for racism... I don't think it's a problem specifically with this movie (though even European countries at that time had some diversity), the issue is that yet again, Disney has made a movie that's almost entirely white characters. Our world has more diversity than that, our kids have more diversity than that, and they deserve to see it in the media. (Much the same with general sexism, seriously, 13 movies and Pixar FINALLY had a female protagonist with Brave. 1:13? That's not a good ratio.)

Why is it racist and sexist? Though I believe the men were silly for not liking Elsa because she made ice and snow, would they feel the same with man who did not or one who made fireballs. They were fools not wanting to her as girlfriend.

In the original Snow Queen, the female heroine, Gerda (not a princess, just a girl) is on a quest to save her male childhood friend Kai. She gets involved with a lot of various adventures, including if I remember correctly, witches and pirates, and they are all strong female characters, and in the end she does save Kai from the Snow Queen.

They kept a twisted element from the original that I liked best-- getting a piece of the troll mirror (in Frozen, Elsa's power) stuck in a part of you would freeze you somewhat. Kai got it stuck in his eye, so it changed his perceptions--he only thought snowflakes to be beautiful. But if it got into your heart you'd turn into a block of ice.

There is also a reindeer in the original story. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter