Fuel rod locations ?s

Jesslm80

Mouseketeer
Has anyone used the fuel rods kiosk in WDW? I am wondering if there are enough locations throughout the parks to justify spending $30.
If you've used it whatcha think about them?
Thanks!

I haven't used them, so I can't speak from practical experience, only from what I've seen online.

It looks like most of the parks only have one location to exchange the batteries. (Epcot: Disney Traders. Hollywood Studios: Celebrity 5 & 10. Animal Kingdom: Island Mercantile. Disney Springs: Marketplace Disney Photo Imaging and DisneyQuest. ESPN Wide World of Sports: ESPN Clubhouse Shop. Magic Kingdom comes on on top with four places: Tomorrowland Light and Power Co, Big Top Souvenirs, Pecos Bills, and Curtain Call Collectibles.)

It doesn't look like any of the resorts have them.

Everything I've read online also seems to indicate the batteries do not have a very high charging capacity. Reports show a recharge of about 60% to an iPhone 6. There are similarly sized chargers available to buy online that can charge a phone two or three times over, which would make it much more unlikely you would need another battery before recharging it in a hotel room at night anyway.

Maybe it would be worth it if you forgot your own external battery and had no other options, but to me it seems like it's more trouble than it's worth for the cost.

I just used a Pocket Juice made by Tzumi for our last trip. Got it at BestBuy for $14.00 its a 4000 mhz and has a charge speed rate of 2.4 Charged my phone very quickly.

Anker chargers (only on amazon) are great price for the amount they charge and charge your phone very quickly. I got one that is 4 times bigger than a fuel rod for $15.

I was just looking at these. The Baltimore Airport has it for $20 and I can then exchange it with the one in the parks, so not a bad deal. I have a small ext battery now, but I really like the idea of being able to swap it out for a new cell that is 100% instead of having to wait for a recharge at charge station, or at the end of the night. I found this website that has a lit of all the locations. Pretty sure this info is reliable, but hey you never know. :joker:

edit : it looks like this battery might only be a 2600MAH. my Samsung S5 is a 2800MAH. I don't think this is so great anymore. .

One more Edit : I just ordered the Anker Astro 6700mAh from Amazon for $21.99 which by my math I should be able to charge my Phone twice. with some to spare. I'll let you know how it works for me next week.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...to-sell-portable-chargers-for-mobile-devices/

Last edited:
They aren't fabulous for charge, but if you're going to the parks from another airport that sells them for $20, and you're someone who frequently forgets to plug in the cell to charge overnight, it can be worth it. For one samsung galaxy (s4) I use it to keep my phone going for ~16-20 hours. I'd hit the park and swap out the dead one first thing in the morning, ignore it in my bag until noon-ish (phone would be around 70%), use it to rejuice the phone, and that would get me through fireworks/parades. IF I was really using the phone a lot (more than just fastpass changes and the likes), I'd swing by and swap it out once more during the day.

Now, this is not a great selection if you're looking for something to pokemon go or actively GPS the entire day.

That was my fear when looking at these. I already have 2600mah that is decent enough to charge my S5. This seemed like a good solution if you find that your battery is totally dead. Though frankly I'd like to see a service like this where they have fully charged batteries for Samsung and Motorola devices. Since IOS can't easily swap out batteries.

I get my new Ext battery tomorrow. Looking forward to playing with it. .

I read recently that they are going to be adding more kiosks at the parks. We purchased one online and it was around $20 (as compared to $30 if you buy it in the parks). We used it on our trip last week and it worked fine for us (we both have iPhones). It was very easy to swap out the fuel rods. It was worth it for us just because of the convenience factor.

If I had a Fuel Rod Depot in my area I might consider getting one. My Anker Astro 2nd Gen arrived today, and I have to say I love the size and weight. It'll easily fit in a small pack, or even a pocket. The Anker has IQ tech, and charges at up to 2amps as opposed to 1amp. of the Fuel Rod.

We used it on our trip last week and it worked fine for us (we both have iPhones)

I'm curious, how long did a recharge take?

I not really sure how long it took- I never timed it. I just hooked it to my phone and stuck them both in my pocket.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the fuel rods kiosk in WDW? I am wondering if there are enough locations throughout the parks to justify spending $30.
If you've used it whatcha think about them?
Thanks!
We just got home from a trip to WDW. We packed our Amazon-purchased batteries but threw in the wrong charging cord. Aaaaaaa! No phone - no photos! The Disney fuel rod saved us from disaster. It comes with a cord and several adaptors. While in the Magic Kingdom, we must have swapped it out a dozen times with everyone in our party using it. It was fantastic. The other parks didn't have as many kiosks but I see online that they are adding more because of the popularity. No way could we have carried that much power with us. The kiosk was super easy to use and worked like a charm. We are saving our fuel rod for our next trip. (from now on the use will be free!)

We just got home from a trip to WDW. We packed our Amazon-purchased batteries but threw in the wrong charging cord. Aaaaaaa! No phone - no photos! The Disney fuel rod saved us from disaster. It comes with a cord and several adaptors. While in the Magic Kingdom, we must have swapped it out a dozen times with everyone in our party using it. It was fantastic. The other parks didn't have as many kiosks but I see online that they are adding more because of the popularity. No way could we have carried that much power with us. The kiosk was super easy to use and worked like a charm. We are saving our fuel rod for our next trip. (from now on the use will be free!)

So excited to hear this, I just ordered a few of these on their website yesterday to use in the parks, this review makes me feel better about purchasing them

I purchased a fuel rod last December in the world after forgetting to pack a charging cable for my existing power pack. No where in the world carries cables for Samsungs. Only iphone cables everywhere.
I was pleasantly surprised with the fuel rod. It won't charge my Galaxy s7 completely, but enough to take pictures and such for a while longer. I even swapped it out at the ATL airport a few weeks ago after coming back from another trip.
I have gotten my $30 worth so far and will use it again in October back at the World.
I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one since there are better options out there but now I have one I will use it.

We just got back from our trip last week. We bought one & it worked wonders for 3 of us using one fuel rod. So all 3 of us have an iPhone 7.

There was a kiosk at Coronado Springs. So I'm guessing the rest of the resorts have them. I didn't see any at Orlando international Airport.

I already carry two in my bag that I charge each nite. We also try to sit somewhere for 30 min to speed charge. We looked into these above mentioned, but I don't want to walk all the way across the park to "cash in" for new, especially if they don't charge that well.

I love the fuel rods but I'm also a local.. You don't need to get your phone fully recharged, you just need to have it last so a good 50-70% charge is more than enough as your probably at 30-40% when you start charging the phone.. Also if that' snot enough, you just swap it for free and keep charging... I thikn a lot of people get caught up on the small, lightweight charger can't fully charge a phone and really don't think they they just need it to last a couple more hours before it's plugged in again at the room and if that's not enough, you swap for free and you do get as long of a charge as you need swapping as needed...

buy the fuelrod from their website and save some money, same thing, free to swap if you pick the fuel rod. I do have other brands as well, some much stronger and to be honest, I didn't need that kind of power or weight and getting another 20-50% charge while walking around was great. You can find smaller fits in your pocket and not that much extra weight to lug around versions that aren't fuel rods as well.

to answer your question, they are much more plentiful lately but many can be inside shops that close before the park closes so pay attention before night entertainment starts if you need to get one or swap one, don't wait as they will be harder to find one you can get too once the night shows start.. They appear inside the MDE app, there is no filter to show you only where they are but look forthe lightning bolt on the map and it'll point you in the correct direction to them.

I use it every trip its wonderful they are putting more kiosks everywhere and me and my friend Lisa stop every time it only takes 30 seconds to switch out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter