Full term pregnancy question

FortForever

Disney since Day 1
On our next trip, our daughter will be 37 weeks pregnant. I've been to Disney pregnant, but never that pregnant. Beings people sue over everything now, will they even allow her to go on the slow rides, like Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and such?

We are only 2 hours from home and she has an AP anyway, so she can go or not at the last minute. I read somewhere, within the last year, that pregnant women were not even allowed on Kilimanjaro Safari because of the bumps. That seems ridiculous to me, but wondering if she should even bother going with us.

Anyone with any recent experience with obvious, third trimester pregnancy?

Safari is really the only one that doesn't have a height restriction but does have a pregnancy warning. And for good reason because it is super bumpy. I wouldn't risk it.

However, they really can't/won't stop you from riding anything. And there's really no reason to think she can't ride those things that don't have a warning for pregnant women.

But of course, she should discuss with her OB as no one here knows about her pregnancy as well as she and her doc do.

On our next trip, our daughter will be 37 weeks pregnant. I've been to Disney pregnant, but never that pregnant. Beings people sue over everything now, will they even allow her to go on the slow rides, like Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and such?

We are only 2 hours from home and she has an AP anyway, so she can go or not at the last minute. I read somewhere, within the last year, that pregnant women were not even allowed on Kilimanjaro Safari because of the bumps. That seems ridiculous to me, but wondering if she should even bother going with us.

Anyone with any recent experience with obvious, third trimester pregnancy?
Disney World, with all that required walking and movement, two hours away from home, in the 37th week? That's pretty reckless imo. She could easily go into labor while at the parks, then have a hard time getting back to the hospital where her doctor is located, or not be able to make it there at all.

I’m currently 35 weeks and in the middle of a heatwave here in CT and cannot imagine being at Disney. Let alone trying to wait in line or sit on a ride. I can’t imagine them saying no to her riding something like Peter Pan but I’d definitely pass on the safari. The bumps along with the potential of being stuck on the ride behind an animal? Nope and nope.

We are less than 2 hours from the parks and also AP's. This year, two of our friends that we go with frequently were expecting.

The last trip we did before the babies arrived, one was 37 weeks and one was 39 weeks. Both of them consulted their doctors towards the end and were told to use a wheelchair (they did) & pay attention to pregnancy warnings on rides.

They rode very very little. A couple of the slow moving things - like Haunted Mansion - but even Pirates was a no because they couldn't comfortably climb in and out of the boat. Definitely not safari. One of them stopped doing Safari around 6 months because it was very uncomfortable.

That last trip before babies was when it was cooler and they just wanted to hang out with everyone but I think they would both say they won't do it again.

Doesn't sound like a good idea. Two hours away from home (plus, in a worst case scenerio, time to walk to the park gate and to your car) is a long way away if labor hits quickly. One of my children was born in 16 minutes -- start to finish.

Pretty sure WDW just takes the approach to warn you/pregnant women of situations that may not be advisable for them to be in. They don't know about any particular pregnancy, and would hope that the mother has discussed any/all options with their doctor who would know their individual situation best. As every woman carries differently, they have no way to know if a given women is close to term, carrying multiple and only halfway to term, or anything like that. But as PP's have said, I can't imagine her actually wanting to do many rides. If she wants to go just to be there and then just sit on the bench and maybe do the peoplemover, have at it. But I would have been shocked if my DW would have done anything other than mostly the shows.

It's not her first pregnancy, she has other children that would be there with us. She has no history of preterm labor and a very healthy pregnancy so far. All of this is assuming she continues to be healthy and that doctor is okay with it. She will rent a scooter, for sure, and the trip is not until October. We are an hour away from the hospital she will deliver, both at home and at Disney, so really doesn't make a difference distance wise.

As long as they will allow her on the slow rides, she will probably go. Myself and my husband will be caring for her children. All she has to do is ride around on a scooter. It's more fun than sitting home. Of course it's up to her and how she feels at that time, but really just wanted to make sure she can do something other than ride around. Or, she might decide to stay home and have a break from the kids.

I did physical labor up until the day prior with all four of my kids, she worked a full time job up until the day before with all her previous children. I honestly don't view riding around on a scooter and doing slow moving rides as risky. But, once again, we would never do it against the doctor's advice, so it's up in the air with that. And if she does go, and decides she wants to go home, her husband will come and get her.

I’m currently 35 weeks and in the middle of a heatwave here in CT and cannot imagine being at Disney. Let alone trying to wait in line or sit on a ride. I can’t imagine them saying no to her riding something like Peter Pan but I’d definitely pass on the safari. The bumps along with the potential of being stuck on the ride behind an animal? Nope and nope.

She won't be on the safari after reading that!

That's pretty reckless imo.

Eh. Reckless isn’t “might have to see a different doctor at a different hospital”. to me. That can happen at any time. I know exactly one friend who had her kid with HER doctor. And that doctor was doing everything she could to make it to a tee time, so that was even dicey.

It's more fun than sitting home.

Absolutely.

She should ask her Doctor. But if her pregnancy is normal and she has no issues then why not. Actually The idea of just simply sitting in the people mover going round and round while pregnant sounds like fun. Better than just laying on the couch. When I was pregnant I was still taking hikes right up until the day I had birth. Not climbing mountains but I could walk for a good hour without taking a break at a slow pace. Pregnancy is not an illness or a handicap. Find it odd that one doctor would recommend a wheelchair. I can see that maybe if the lady had issues or was tired easily then knew she needed to take a break.
The only thing that would bother me would be the heat but the PP’s daughter lives in Florida anyways so I’m pretty sure she is used to it. +2 hours away is not that far for her to hospital if she had to leave. a lot of people actually live two hours from a hospital.

I went when I was about 30 weeks pregnant, coming from much further away (doctor was okay with it).

I did every ride that did not have a warning for pregnant women. Some people opt to do the safari anyway; I didn’t. But generally, if it’s a ride a baby can be brought on, a pregnant woman should have no problem. Might need an extra hand getting in and out of boats and such at 37 weeks.

I don’t think I’d spend all the money to go that pregnant again, only because I was personally in a lot of discomfort/pain during that pregnancy (leg and pelvic pain that suddenly onset like a week before we left!). I didn’t use a wheelchair or scooter. But I took plenty of breaks. I spent a lot of time sitting on benches ... and in bathrooms. Had to pee all the time. The trip was for my daughter and she had a blast.

Given the additional info you shared about the hospital being one hour away either way, I don’t see why she shouldn’t come along (unless the doctor says no). I feel like there have been some overreactions on this post. Being pregnant does not mean she needs to sit at home and do nothing! Unless, of course, she was put on bed rest for a medical condition.

WDW will not prevent your daughter from going on anything. They have pregnancy and other medical warnings for certain rides which people can choose to adhere to or ignore. People with pre-existing conditions ride at their own risk. WDW doesn’t make medical decisions for its guests.

It's not her first pregnancy, she has other children that would be there with us. She has no history of preterm labor and a very healthy pregnancy so far. All of this is assuming she continues to be healthy and that doctor is okay with it. She will rent a scooter, for sure, and the trip is not until October. We are an hour away from the hospital she will deliver, both at home and at Disney, so really doesn't make a difference distance wise.

As long as they will allow her on the slow rides, she will probably go. Myself and my husband will be caring for her children. All she has to do is ride around on a scooter. It's more fun than sitting home. Of course it's up to her and how she feels at that time, but really just wanted to make sure she can do something other than ride around. Or, she might decide to stay home and have a break from the kids.

I did physical labor up until the day prior with all four of my kids, she worked a full time job up until the day before with all her previous children. I honestly don't view riding around on a scooter and doing slow moving rides as risky. But, once again, we would never do it against the doctor's advice, so it's up in the air with that. And if she does go, and decides she wants to go home, her husband will come and get her.
last grandson came before that trip at 36 weeks . no history of preterm labor and healthy pregnancy no warning and he was a c section who did not even make it to section date

My first two babies came past my due date, and I was extremely active right up until they were born. It was all almost as ideal as possible. My last one, however, decided to show up unexpectedly at 35 weeks in a very emergent situation. There was absolutely no notice, and it was extremely frightening. There’s no reason to expect labor to go a certain way based on previous experience. Having said that, as long as she feels comfortable with something like that possibly happening while she’s there, I can’t see why she couldn’t go. It sounds miserable to me - I can’t walk 10 steps without needing a bathroom when that pregnant, but as others have mentioned, pregnancy itself isn’t a reason not to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!