Full term pregnancy question

That seems crazy to me. My wife was 5 months pregnant when we went last year and she was just tired after a long day. 37 weeks? Yikes. I would not want to be that woman's husband that day.

We are an hour away from the hospital she will deliver, both at home and at Disney, so really doesn't make a difference distance wise.

Just pointing out it does make a bit of a difference in terms of the amount of time it takes to get to you car. You have to get out of MK, take the monorail or ferry, shuttle to the car--so it effectively is probably 2 hours to the hospital instead of 1 from home. I still can't believe you are a whole hour from the hospital to begin with! My second labor was so fast--we live 15 minutes from the hospital and almost didn't make it (baby was born 5 minutes after we arrived).

I say go, I was fine with local traveling up to my delivery day. We took a trip up the mountains a week before my daughter was born, if she's going to go into labor at the park, she's in Orlando, not a third world country. If she feels ok and can take breaks and keep hydrated, there's no reason she shouldn't go. Yes she won't be able to ride much and she will likely get more tired than usual but if she's game I say go. I would just feel bad holding people back so I'd make sure I tell everyone to keep on trucking and maybe hang back at the resort or some air conditioned spot.

If she's feeling well and her dr approves, why not go! Especially if she has an AP and doesn't mind missing out on a few things. The heat may be bothersome, but as long as she rests and hydrates, go for it!

I say go, I was fine with local traveling up to my delivery day. We took a trip up the mountains a week before my daughter was born, if she's going to go into labor a she's in Orlando, not a third world country. If she feels ok and can take breaks and keep hydrated, there's no reason she shouldn't go. Yes she won't be able to ride much and she will likely get more tired than usual but if she's game I say go. I would just feel bad holding people back so I'd make sure I tell everyone to keep on trucking and maybe hang back at the resort or some air conditioned spot.

The voices of reason! Thank you. :lovestruc

Just pointing out it does make a bit of a difference in terms of the amount of time it takes to get to you car. You have to get out of MK, take the monorail or ferry, shuttle to the car--so it effectively is probably 2 hours to the hospital instead of 1 from home. I still can't believe you are a whole hour from the hospital to begin with! My second labor was so fast--we live 15 minutes from the hospital and almost didn't make it (baby was born 5 minutes after we arrived).

She lives close to Disney. If I were her, I would go if I were feeling up to it. I have three kids. My youngest is 13 mo. I walked around at the zoo all day a few days before he was born.

Just wanted to point out that yes, it does take a lot of time to get out of the MK typically. However, if there is an emergency, they can get you out of there fast from back stage. My mom had some major medical issues while we were in the MK a few years ago. We took her to first aid, and they had her on an ambulance and out of MK within a few minutes.

If the doc's on board, and she's up to it. Sure. But at 37 weeks I had stopped traveling in state for work (my decision, not my docs) and only worked at my office that was across the street from my hospital.

The thought of doing anything Disney at 37 weeks makes me tired. Maybe lounging in the pool...that would be fun.

Just pointing out it I still can't believe you are a whole hour from the hospital to begin with!

Because Florida is much more rural than many people realize. We are nearly half hour drive from the nearest town. And that town has a hospital that is subpar.

Once in town, we can get on the highway and be at excellent hospitals in another 30 minutes. Her doctor delivers, and has offices at both.

Sounds as if you've decided to go no matter what others think. So ignore the rest of the thread and do whatever you like. Disney is not going to stop her from riding anything. The warnings are there to protect them legally. I hope she and the baby fare well on the trip.

On our next trip, our daughter will be 37 weeks pregnant. I've been to Disney pregnant, but never that pregnant. Beings people sue over everything now, will they even allow her to go on the slow rides, like Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and such?

We are only 2 hours from home and she has an AP anyway, so she can go or not at the last minute. I read somewhere, within the last year, that pregnant women were not even allowed on Kilimanjaro Safari because of the bumps. That seems ridiculous to me, but wondering if she should even bother going with us.

Anyone with any recent experience with obvious, third trimester pregnancy?

I know she can go on Jungle Cruise. On my last cruise, there was a very pregnant lady next to me, so I asked her when her baby was due. "Three weeks!" She looked like she enjoyed the ride, so I'd say it's a good choice.

Sounds as if you've decided to go no matter what others think. So ignore the rest of the thread and do whatever you like. Disney is not going to stop her from riding anything. The warnings are there to protect them legally. I hope she and the baby fare well on the trip.

In all fairness, I never asked for opinions about whether we should or not. I only asked if Disney would allow her to ride these days, with our litigious society.

In all fairness, I never asked for opinions about whether we should or not. I only asked if Disney would allow her to ride these days, with our litigious society.
In all fairness, you refer to the posters who encourage her to go as "the voice of reason" while arguing your case for going with those who have offered their own negative experiences with visiting during the third trimester.

So, like I said - Go. Ignore the rest of the thread because you got your answer. Disney posts pregnancy warnings (as well as other health warnings) on certain attractions to cover their butts legally. It's up to the individual whether they are willing to ignore them. Your daughter's provider and her own level of stamina should be the deciding factors.

I'm 33 weeks pregnant right now, and I have gone several times during all three trimesters this pregnancy.

I was going to go right at 32 weeks (cleared by my doctor and similar situation - AP and live about two hours away) but decided not to go just based on the heat. My last visit was right at 28 weeks at the start of June, and we did a long day at Epcot, which included rushing to FastPasses, walking to Beaches & Cream and then taking an unexpected trip all the way around World Showcase because my son just had to see the miniature trains in Germany. It was a lot of walking/pushing a stroller, and I felt I pushed it just a tad too much.

Now, the good news is there really is plenty of rides you can go on while pregnant (including Soarin'). I followed all the recommendations and still had full days of rides to enjoy each trip. I also avoided Kilimanjaro Safaris more so because of the fear of getting stuck on the ride for an extended period of time because of an animal and not having access to a restroom. While the rest of my family rode, I enjoyed sitting in the a/c nearby watching Festival of the Lion King. I also took some breaks while they went on other rides when I wasn't up to waiting in line.

I wouldn't worry about lack of things for her to do, but I would play it by ear (as long as her doctor gives the okay) depending on the weather. It can still be really hot in October, and between the pregnancy hot flashes and trying to stay hydrated, she might just have a better time - and enjoy the break - resting at home. Or she may feel awesome and need to get out of the house for some fun. Between the AP and short distance, she's in a great spot to make a last minute decision depending on how she is feeling.

I also avoided Kilimanjaro Safaris more so because of the fear of getting stuck on the ride for an extended period of time because of an animal and not having access to a restroom.

Same, but I was only 15 weeks when I went. It wasn’t the bumpiness that scared me...it was the lack of restroom facilities!

We're trying to conceive and my ob/gyn has told me that if it's not an emergency or unavoidable situation (wedding, birth of a family child, funeral, etc.) that you will not be cleared for travel more than 100 miles away in the last month so to plan accordingly if possible. I was also told I was unlikely to be able to do air travel in the third trimester (I travel about once a month for work), so to plan accordingly. Personally, it sounds to me like a recipe for disaster between heat, crowds, and distance and if at all possible it would be better to reschedule, but if it's not possible then I'd certainly talk to your doctor and not just strangers on a message board.

I wouldn't worry about lack of things for her to do, but I would play it by ear (as long as her doctor gives the okay) depending on the weather. It can still be really hot in October, and between the pregnancy hot flashes and trying to stay hydrated, she might just have a better time - and enjoy the break - resting at home. Or she may feel awesome and need to get out of the house for some fun. Between the AP and short distance, she's in a great spot to make a last minute decision depending on how she is feeling.

Thanks for sharing your first hand experience. That's exactly what we plan to do, play it by ear as far as weather and how she feels. All with medical clearance, if course.

Glad to know she could still do Soarin' as that's one of our favorites. She still may decide to take that break at home for herself. But happy to hear your story.

Mods, would you please lock this thread? My original question has been answered, and too much unsolicited advice. Thanks!

I went pregnant 31 years ago! I slept in late, spa treatments, relaxed by the pool, met up with my family for meals. I remember the pressure at that time of trying to walk, it wasn't good. The massages felt like heaven, they do special pregnancy massages. One lady even talked into my stomach, asking the baby if he liked it...lol
I never thought of a wheelchair at the time.

I did go to World Showcase and remember falling asleep in HOP, and a few other movies it was dark and cool & I was tired with a capital T

I went to 41 weeks with my first child. Worked full-time until the day before he was born (and walked 1-2 miles every day for the last 2 weeks hoping to bring on labor).

If she didn't go early with her other children, has no health issues, and has her doctor's approval, then why not? Pregnancy is not a disease.

Worst case scenario, she gives birth at one of the parks and her child gets lifetime tickets :teeth::teeth:

Maybe she'll deliver before you even go. Then you can take the newborn to WDW for the baby's first trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!