Funny Things that Cdns say/do at Disney that make Americans go 'huh?'

Cdn Gal

DIS Veteran
So the past couple of years we have gotten to know a family from Michigan while on our trip to Disney. As a result we have had shared much laughter over the differences/similarities between our two countries. Other than the typical "eh" which I admit to saying, what other things have you said that has given our cousins to the south pause?
So for instance, I will say to my DH, 'pitter patter, let's get at her' or if he is being particularly slow when I am trying to get to the parks I will say 'tick tock,' which I admit drives him crazy.
I will also say on occasion, 'yeah...no' which means 'no.' LOL This has also driven the timeshare salespeople crazy too since they don't know where they stand.
Any other sayings that has perplexed our neighbours to the south?

Washroom. They don't tend to use that word. I have asked where the washroom is an got odd looks. I was in a store in Disney Springs last year and ask a young guy where the nearest washroom was and he didn't know what I meant. I try to remember to use bathroom but it's such a habit.

Snow days. Winnipeg doesn't get them. The last one was 20 years ago. Rural areas do but not Winnipeg due to our terrain, snow plows, etc.
We had supper in Japan at Epcot and shared a table with a nice family from the East Coast. She asked how many snow days we had yet and was flabbergasted that we don't get them.

The last couple of trips it's been brought to our attention that we do in fact, apologize even when we don't need to! Most recently in line to take the raft to Tom Sawyers Island and i bumped into someone, stopped talking to hubby and in unison with the person i had jostled, "I'm sorry" He spun around with wide eyes ... looked at our pins (The CDN birthday ones), pointed, & giggled "I went to UofG"

Ask for vinegar for fries .... forget where i am and asked for pop... ask for ice tea and make that stupid "aaak no sugar" face. I'm sure there's more but those 3 happen often!

What they say that drives hubby batty??? "Where you AT?"
What they say that drives me batty?? They list every single place they have EVER lived (from birth) if you ask where they're from.

The only thing I've ever really noticed was the 'you're a Northern' comment when I asked for mustard with my pretzel. Funny part is later in the trip got a pretzel from Germany in Epcot and they gave me mustard without me saying anything.

I like when we go to the Canadian Pavilion at Epcot and ask to sign our name in their log book (They have one under cash register for all Canadians to sign). We are from an area where not many ppl travel to Disney, and we end up signing our names again and again on the same page over multiple years :P

Back in November of 2012, when Fantasyland was doing soft open, I was there for morning EMH at 7 am. I was wearing Cargo pants and a hoodie while drinking a LeFou's brew. A cast member said to me "Isn't that cold?" I looked at it and went "Yeah!?!" thinking wasn't it supposed to be? She asked me if that was ok and then I realized she was wearing her big heavy coat and shivering. I smiled and said "I am from Canada, this is a September morning for me." That made sense to her. Lol.

Also, my brother likes to go in November and wander around in shorts. He gets a kick out of the weird looks he gets.

We got strange looks on our first trip end of January when we were swimming. I think there was one other kid in the pool. Everyone else was walking around in sweaters and coats. The pools are heated for goodness sake!

Years ago we were in San Diego and went to the pool one night. The only other family in there were from Saskatoon!
Same trip I was doing laundry in the hotel and asked the other person there what time Walmart was open until. It was a short term furnished apartment/hotel so thought she might be local.She looked at me like I was crazy and said "Walmart is open 24 hours". That was years before 24 hours came to Manitoba! Heck we had just got Sunday shopping about 8 years prior.

One year we were at the Dine With an Imagineer at DHS and it started pouring rain...my Mom said..."oh my it teeming rain" to which everyone at our table, including the Imagineer said "it's what?"...

Also, I did nor realize that garburator is a Canadian term...Americans just call it a garbage disposal....

At the Publix, said to the cashier "boy it's hot!" (was around 85F)
She, "No it's not" (with a Floridian drawl)
Me, grabbing phone, "here's a picture of my front yard 2 days ago" (with 6-7 feet of snow obscuring the house)
She, "okay, it's hot"

ETA: The picture I flashed (or "how to scare a Floridian"):

Last edited:
I always notice the general confusion Canadians get in American restaurants when confronted with the question of whether they want 'American Cheese' with their burger. sandwhich etc

Does anybody in Canada really understand what American cheese it? Is it like a Kraft single, or is it cheap cheddar or something? I can't ever seem to get this right in my brain

I'm an American living in Canada with my husband. The funniest thing that through my husband for a loop was when I referred to his touke as a toboggan because that is what we call them in North Carolina. It took him awhile to figure out what I was talking about, but now he just laughs at me when I call it that.

Two things: My partner and I have always found it odd when you apologize for accidentally bumping someone or whatever and some Americans look at us in a confused way and say 'You're fine'. We used to be confused by the lack of reciprocal apology. Now we just enjoy the response!

When shopping in the US, sometimes the person who checks you out at the cash will say 'All Set?'. Whereas in Canada, we often say 'Did you find everything you were looking for?'.

Not any one saying, but I know that I have cracked a few Americans up with a "eh" and "aboot," which I never actually thought I said. It turns out my Canadian 'accent' and mannerisms become more pronounced when I am tired, so while chatting with my husband in ride lines at night I have cracked up a few Americans.....they usually turn around and say something like, 'soooooo, you are Canadian??" :D

Also - I have stumped people with the washroom/bathroom request.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts