Funny Things that Cdns say/do at Disney that make Americans go 'huh?'

People think that getting rid of the Catholic school system in Ontario will somehow save them money. Almost all of those kids would transfer over to the public system. If their parents could afford to send them to private schools, there are certainly enough private schools that they would be doing so now. So, take away the Catholic board and replace it with.... the public board. It's all the same.

Bagged milk is Ontario only.

Not sure if they still do but Quebec had them as well at least when I was there. I grew up with them. I haven't been back in Almost 14 years though.

When I first moved to BC they had them at a few stores but It has been years since I have seen them.

Not sure if they still do but Quebec had them as well at least when I was there. I grew up with them. I haven't been back in Almost 14 years though.

When I first moved to BC they had them at a few stores but It has been years since I have seen them.
Was going to say the same thing about QC. My dad worked for the company that developed the plastic (CIL) and we lived in Montreal at the time. Apparently my dad was at a party where they were marvelling at the new technology, and he claimed they were indestructible as he pushed a bag off the host's counter onto the floor. Indestructible? Apparently, not so much!

No public Catholic school in Manitoba. I'm glad. Wouldn't want to pay for that with taxpayers dollars.
In Ontario you have the option to direct your taxpayer dollars to either the Public or Catholic school system. So either way you're funding a school system.

In Ontario you have the option to direct your taxpayer dollars to either the Public or Catholic school system. So either way you're funding a school system.

I don't think the church schools should get public funding. Or if they do they should also have Baptist, Muslim, etc public schools. That's just me and my thoughts. Not favour one religion.

People think that getting rid of the Catholic school system in Ontario will somehow save them money. Almost all of those kids would transfer over to the public system. If their parents could afford to send them to private schools, there are certainly enough private schools that they would be doing so now. So, take away the Catholic board and replace it with.... the public board. It's all the same.

It's the redundant boards/bureaucracy that would be eliminated and save money. Put the money into teachers, classrooms and supplies. It wouldn't be a complete wipe out of one board, since you'd need more people than either board actually has, but you don't need all of it. It could increase funding where it actually benefits students.

They still have bagged miked in Quebec. That is what my in-laws use.

I vaguely remember bagged milk in Manitoba when I was kid. Like 35 years ago. For sure it was gone by the time I was a teen.

Many people just object to public funds being used for religious education. I'm from BC, but have relatives that live in Ontario and Alberta. If you want a religious education for your child you have to send then to private school and pay for it.

The great thing about having parallel systems is that it creates competition and choice for parents. Here in ottawa we have four system s to choose from being English and French catholic and English and French public. And all the kids in those schools still love Mickey and Buzz Lightyear and Doc McStuffins

I also heard that, in the GTA in Ontario, they try to put the Catholic and public elementary schools close together as they provide an emergency location for evacuation, if necessary. So, for example, if there was a fire in one school, the kids are evacuated and marched over to the gym of the other one as a point of contact for parents, etc. Useful planning.

Yes and no. Remember that a Catholic school will get kids from a larger area than a public school, so there isn't a 1:1 relationship. But in cases where there is a Catholic school, they do try and put a public school nearby, if not right beside it.

An interesting case is near my parents, where they've put a community centre (no pool), public school and Catholic school in three separate wings of a rather large building.

Many people just object to public funds being used for religious education. I'm from BC, but have relatives that live in Ontario and Alberta. If you want a religious education for your child you have to send then to private school and pay for it.
This is getting totally OT for this thread, but I think the point in Ontario is that these are NOT public funds being spent on Catholic Schools. You, as a taxpayer, get to decide if the education portion of your own municipal taxes go to the Catholic or Public boards. The boards are funded in consideration of the amount directed to those boards. So no Public (i.e. general government revenue) money is supporting the boards. It is money directed by the taxpayer before it hits the public purse. If you are not a municipal ratepayer (i.e. you rent), then you support the public board.

As far as the public funding of the ministry of education goes, those efforts are generally pan-educational. Curriculum requirements set by the ministry are effective for all education, public, catholic, private, even home-schooling.

This is getting totally OT for this thread, but I think the point in Ontario is that these are NOT public funds being spent on Catholic Schools. You, as a taxpayer, get to decide if the education portion of your own municipal taxes go to the Catholic or Public boards. The boards are funded in consideration of the amount directed to those boards. So no Public (i.e. general government revenue) money is supporting the boards. It is money directed by the taxpayer before it hits the public purse. If you are not a municipal ratepayer (i.e. you rent), then you support the public board.

As far as the public funding of the ministry of education goes, those efforts are generally pan-educational. Curriculum requirements set by the ministry are effective for all education, public, catholic, private, even home-schooling.
That I have no problem with, individuals directing what school board they want to support with their portion of their tax dollars.

Popping in to thank you all for this enjoyable thread. :) I had to go on a business trip to Grand Forks, North Dakota, and took advantage to visit Winnipeg after the work week. Two of my coworkers joined me, and the bonus was that we were able to be in Canada to help celebrate Canada Day for your 150th celebration!! We first went to the Royal Canadian Mint and bought some commemorative coins, including your Loonie that debuted on Saturday and also including your glow in the dark Toonie! There were so many people there to get the coins. We also went to the Grand Forks area, and spent a good part of the day there. On Sunday, we went to Assiniboine Park and Zoo. I loved the polar bear exhibit, and learned a bit about Churchill, so had to Google it when I got home. I learned something about Canada, and now I want to learn more about your beautiful country. I've been to Victoria & Steveston, BC, and now Winnipeg, Manitoba. There is so much more to see, and it's not so far out of my realm of possibility that I had thought before.

Thanks to this thread I knew what a Caesar was, and drank one. It was good! I already knew about washroom, because we use it here, but also say bathroom and restroom, lol, depending on our mood I guess. We also had poutine a couple of times, but by the end of Saturday were looking for salads, lol. We also didn't realize how late it was because it gets dark by 8pm in Los Angeles, and around 10:30 or so in Grand Forks & Winnipeg.

So, here are some of my own responses to your posts. ;)

Loved your city. We stayed at a Best Western Plus off of Pembina Hwy (near Pony Corral), and our last breakfast was at Stellas on the rooftop - really enjoyed it.

We had fish & chips, and my coworker had never had vinegar on her fries before. She loved them and after that had to have vinegar on her fries. ha ha Every time someone asked where we were from one of my coworkers said she was from Texas, but lived in Grand Forks, ND. Everytime she said that I thought of this thread.

I had one at a restaurant at The Forks in Winnipeg because of your post. It was so good! We have had shrimp cocktails using Clamato sauce, but never in a Bloody Mary. I really liked it.

I saw a Sobeys store and was so excited to see what you were talking about :lmao:

We got such a kick out of "aboot" and "eh" and "soooorrreee." It was so darned cute! My coworker kept telling people she liked their accents, and I was thinking that to them WE were the ones with the accents. They have that Norwegian accent in Grand Forks, too. It was hard not to smile when people were talking to me just because I liked it so much.

In Los Angeles we almost always say utensils. I only say silverware when the utensils are made out of silver. (um, never in my house, lol)

Standing "on line" drives me crazy, too.

Person must have been dense not to understand 'washroom' - that is so odd to me. And I do occasionally say 'on accident' instead of 'by accident.' I use them both interchangeable, and never thought about it until now. Also, we say backyard, too. What do they call the fenced in area behind their houses?

I'm bummed that I didn't get any ketchup chips to bring home. I saw them in the zoo cafe, but didn't think to stop at Sobeys to get some Canadian goodies.

Some of us are ignorant, sad to say. (Not all are, though.)

Yeah, milk in bags is pretty foreign to Americans. Now I really wish I had gone in to Sobeys to show that to my coworkers.

We say decks in California, too. Lanai to me is tropical, so maybe Hawaii, and Florida, if they call them that there... maybe because they're screened in?

Yup, so true. I can spot the Canadians in February because they are the ones frolicking in the ocean when I have warm clothes on. ha ha

We have three days to honor our military. We have Armed Forces day, celebrated the third Saturday of May, for those currently serving in the military, and I think the least known of these holidays (I would say most Americans don't even know) - formed to inform the American public about the different branches of the military; Memorial Day, celebrated on the last Monday in May, for those who died in service. It began after the civil war for Union soldiers, and after WWI was extended to encompass all men and women who died in service. Veteran's Day is celebrated on 11 November for all those who have served. "On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 an armistice between Germany and the Allied nations came into effect. On November 11, 1919, Armistice Day was commemorated for the first time." Even though this day is for those who previously served, Americans tend to thank all veterans and currently enlisted men and women on this day. Side note ~ I often go to Disneyland on Veterans Day to honor them during Flag Retreat. If you ever get the option to go I recommend it.

Thanks again for an entertaining, enlightening, and enjoyable thread. :)

So glad you enjoyed Winnipeg. So many of us do overnight getaways to Grand Forks just to go to different stores and have a mini vacation.

You must try ketchup chips sometime!

This is a great thread. I read through it all. As a born and raised Canadian now living in the US, I have had to make adustments and learn over the years the differences.

Not just Disney but anywhere in the states hubby ALWAYS asks for gravy for his fries. Drives me nuts! Lol

My parents came down to Ohio from Toronto to visit us a couple months ago. We went out to a restaurant, my dad asked for gravy for his fries. The waitress looked at him strange but said sure, we have it. I had to step in though to clarify what kind of gravy she was thinking of vs what my dad was asking for. She was thinking of country or sausage gravy that they would put on chicken fried steak or biscuits, not brown beef gravy that my dad wanted. Once I clarified, my dad opted for no gravy. He would have been rather upset to get his fries smothered in white stuff.

I always notice the general confusion Canadians get in American restaurants when confronted with the question of whether they want 'American Cheese' with their burger. sandwhich etc

Does anybody in Canada really understand what American cheese it? Is it like a Kraft single, or is it cheap cheddar or something? I can't ever seem to get this right in my brain

American cheese can come in many forms. It is a processed cheese product, but the kind you usually get on a cheeseburger in a restaurant won't be from a plastic wrapper. It does come in a pre-sliced version separated by parchment. Velveeta is also American cheese.

I'm an American living in Canada with my husband. The funniest thing that through my husband for a loop was when I referred to his touke as a toboggan because that is what we call them in North Carolina. It took him awhile to figure out what I was talking about, but now he just laughs at me when I call it that.

I found that out for the first time a few years ago while visiting a friend in Alabama. I couldn't believe they were calling a touque a "toboggan" since that's the thing we ride down a snowy hill on while wearing our touques, haha!

I have had this discussion with a coworker here in the US. I argue that a toboggan is what you race down the hill on, he says that is a sled. We agreed to disagree.

Come to Pittsburgh, at most places there is malt vinegar for your fries* and if you ask for pop well they ask you what kind of pop and will say we have Coke Products or they will say we have Pepsi products.

Not sure what you mean with the iced tea, I'm assuming you don't want Sweet tea, we don't have sweet tea.

* If you go the Original Hot Dog shop don't ask for the large unless you have about 8 people. Attached is a medium.

One thing I miss down here in the US is white viengar and salt on fries. I never liked malt vinegar and most restaurants don't have white vinegar in any type of bottle that you can use on fries.

If you order ice tea here you will get it just like a glass of pop, comes out of the fountains, same as other soft drinks --- or bottled -- pre-sweetened. Also a wide variety of flavours (I believe you have access to Arizona tea??) --- so it's not just a glass of cold brewed tea. In the grocery store we can buy a case of it in cans ...

I get excited when I head down south because I can get unsweetened iced tea. Not a thing here in Canada at all! Although I have to say - I do like the pop-like pre-sweetened iced tea found in Canada. It is not the same as sweet tea though - totally different taste as they don't use real brewed tea.

My American born wife doesn't like tea at restaurants in Canada. She grew up drinking brewed tea. She cold brews her own at home. She always tries to ask at Canadian restaurants if they have tea, they always say yes. She asked "does it come out of the same fountain as the Coke/Pepsi", when they say yes, she always declines and goes for Coke or Pepsi, though in most cases in Canada is is almost always Coke. Not many Canadian restaurants carry Pepsi products.

My parents came down to Ohio from Toronto to visit us a couple months ago. We went out to a restaurant, my dad asked for gravy for his fries. The waitress looked at him strange but said sure, we have it. I had to step in though to clarify what kind of gravy she was thinking of vs what my dad was asking for. She was thinking of country or sausage gravy that they would put on chicken fried steak or biscuits, not brown beef gravy that my dad wanted. Once I clarified, my dad opted for no gravy. He would have been rather upset to get his fries smothered in white stuff.

As I posted I'm in Pittsburgh so very close to Ohio. I would say more than 95% of the time gravy in a restaurant is brown gravy unless you were in maybe a Bob Even's.

Maybe you are in "Southern Ohio". ;)

FYI This hasn't been the case since the 1997 (20 years ago). You used to designate which board your "education taxes" went to but that's long since changed. Schools are now funded on a "bums in seats" model. The province has a funding model where they set aside a per student amount of money. School boards are then funded based on how many students they actually have enrolled.

The only difference it makes these days on which board you support is which school board trustee you vote for during elections.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!