Galaxy's Edge Performance and Evolution Discussion

With the lower crowds and increased revenue, it would seem like the strategy of raising prices to control crowd levels is a success. I wonder why Disney never mentions this. Between this earnings report and the other thread showing the GE crowds now that EEMH are gone, it seems like GE is doing just fine. It definitely makes it interesting to see what happens once RotR is open.

With the lower crowds and increased revenue, it would seem like the strategy of raising prices to control crowd levels is a success. I wonder why Disney never mentions this.

Well...because it makes them look bad is the answer here I'm afraid.

With the lower crowds and increased revenue, it would seem like the strategy of raising prices to control crowd levels is a success. I wonder why Disney never mentions this.
It might scare off investors. When it comes to these things you say as little as possible while indicating that things are going well (i.e. they're making a lot of money and will continue doing so).

I like to watch what's being talked about by the fans. This one is very theatrical, but represents what Star Wars fans are talking about in regards to GE beyond Disboards.
"Disney purchased Star Wars from George Lucas for four billion dollars, and that was that: Disney now belongs to Star Wars, lock stock and barrel, everyone knows that. But what if that’s not entirely true? What if there are other financial encumbrances attached to the original trilogy characters? Wouldn’t that explain a lot? According to this rumor, there’s a reason Disney excluded any original trilogy characters beyond the ones already in their sequel trilogy."

We've gone through this several times and this rumor is still false.

EDIT: Since this keeps coming up, I just want to note, with regard to this bizarre universe where Disney "won't use original trilogy characters because they would have to pay royalties to George Lucas":

- Luke, Leia, and Han are all in the new trilogy. Chewie is in the new trilogy. C-3PO and R2 are there. And from what I understand there's an extremely important character from the OT who will be appearing in the newest movie. If they were this concerned about royalties then they did a really bad job of keeping these characters out of the stories. They could have proceeded while pretending that none of these characters existed, but they didn't. They included all of them.
- Disney has made two movies built around the original trilogy: Rogue One and Solo. Both movies feature core OT characters, and in Rogue One's case, they digitally recreated two characters from A New Hope, including one who had been dead when the movie was made.
- Disney is releasing a ton of new SW content for Disney+, including one series focused on Obi-Wan Kenobi, starring the guy who had played him in the prequel trilogy. Another is a continuation of an animated series that began before Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney. The third revolves a bounty hunter not shown in the OT but also features at least one character from the OT (IG-88). As per usual, there's a good chance that other legacy characters show up.
- Disney continues to sell merchandise with OT characters, both in retail and at Galaxy's Edge, so any possible royalty payments haven't been an issue there either.

Last edited:

"Disney purchased Star Wars from George Lucas for four billion dollars, and that was that: Disney now belongs to Star Wars, lock stock and barrel, everyone knows that. But what if that’s not entirely true? What if there are other financial encumbrances attached to the original trilogy characters? Wouldn’t that explain a lot? According to this rumor, there’s a reason Disney excluded any original trilogy characters beyond the ones already in their sequel trilogy."

We've gone through this several times and this rumor is still false.
I think it'll be better if we stop addressing these rumors all together, just let them go :)

I was pleased with GE. As a SW fan - seeing the Falcon, Oga's, and making a lightsaber - those were awesome for me. I haven't quite finished the book - Black Spire Outpost - but I wanted more from the book there since they bothered to publish one. Like clothing from Batuu, or junkyard stuff, or ? I liked the marketplace - but frankly thought there could have been MORE to it. I wanted the app to be cool - but I personally struggled with it - and I also don't want to run down my phone battery. This is where the interactive wands win out at HP - it's an immersion activity that doesn't require wasting my phone battery - which is precious at WDW. I'd pay for a "datapad" that interacted with the land - that wasn't my phone!

As a theme park area - it definitely needs the ROTR to open - and I WISH it had really well themed signature level restaurant with CM's in costumes, maybe some creature characters, and no dumbing down of food names as foodies can read the details of the menu. I also wish it had a "sit down" show of some type (15-25 minutes) that was regularly scheduled - maybe an interactive large "hidden Resistance meeting" - in a hidden corner of the land - with a roof and walls, temp-controlled, seats for everyone. Could be small - low capacity - but another attraction.

I was pleased with GE. As a SW fan - seeing the Falcon, Oga's, and making a lightsaber - those were awesome for me. I haven't quite finished the book - Black Spire Outpost - but I wanted more from the book there since they bothered to publish one. Like clothing from Batuu, or junkyard stuff, or ? I liked the marketplace - but frankly thought there could have been MORE to it. I wanted the app to be cool - but I personally struggled with it - and I also don't want to run down my phone battery. This is where the interactive wands win out at HP - it's an immersion activity that doesn't require wasting my phone battery - which is precious at WDW. I'd pay for a "datapad" that interacted with the land - that wasn't my phone!

As a theme park area - it definitely needs the ROTR to open - and I WISH it had really well themed signature level restaurant with CM's in costumes, maybe some creature characters, and no dumbing down of food names as foodies can read the details of the menu. I also wish it had a "sit down" show of some type (15-25 minutes) that was regularly scheduled - maybe an interactive large "hidden Resistance meeting" - in a hidden corner of the land - with a roof and walls, temp-controlled, seats for everyone. Could be small - low capacity - but another attraction.

I still think a sit-down restaurant will/could be added to the land at a later date

and even if not, everything you describe, I think, will be a feature for those staying at the Star Wars Hotel - so I think those that want that next level of immersion will get it there

I do think a bit more entertainment in the land would be good - be it scheduled or not. The Kylo Ren arrival is nice and I do like they have some roaming characters (nice change from the rest of the park) - but I think more like high themed Battuians in some of the shops or in Oga's, etc. (even if not characters from the movies, just more than regular CMs' "playing their won role") would add a bit more too (and would free up other CMs to be a bit more "out of character" with those guests that get annoyed by the immersion)

This was in the initial plans and it's still a possibility (I think there's unused space for it at the parks?). Unclear about what happened to it but cost + prioritizing completion of the rest of the park are possible reasons why it was shelved.

This thread is fantastic, @TheMaxRebo, and I’m glad you started and stuck with it. The topics raised here are fascinating, and as my initial trip to Batuu approaches, I couldn’t help but chime in with a response to one question that has resurfaced both here and throughout GE discussion - I am the target demographic for GE, and they’ve got me nailed.

My first trip to DW was 1987 with mom and dad. Loved it. Never went back. Thought the whole Disney thing was a little odd, and not for me, despite my affection for the films. For my 40th birthday last year, friends took me down to DW with their three boys. Big suite at BC; very clever FastPass planning - my skepticism evaporated, and I fell in love very quickly - with the theming, the attention to detail, and the catering to every age. But I figured, again, that a return trip was a long way off.

When I walked around the corner at HS to see renderings of GE, I gasped audibly. I’m a huge SW fan, realizing how much I like this “new” Disney, and was already planning a return trip. Based on a drawing on a vinyl sheet tied to a fence.

I did want to wait for RoTR to open, so I’m taking my mom, who let me sit through RoJ twice in the theater, on 12/11. I went all in - between memory maker, park hopper, adr, etc, WDW will have a lot of my money. And they’ll get me again when the hotel opens.

Before GE, a Disney vacation, let alone one with on site resorts, etc, was so far off my radar. But the notion that they’re willing to do a highly themed land catering more to adults has great appeal to me, especially if it extends to future attractions.

I think if people are watching The Mandalorian right now that Galaxy's Edge is very reminiscent of the looks/feel of the series. Especially if The Mandalorian is one of the first Star Wars series they've watched (like me, I've only seen the movies). It makes the connection greater, if that makes sense.

For me, it makes going to Galaxy's Edge a big more exciting. :)

Interesting point about The Mandalorian, I didn't want to bring it up because I an very vocally "pro" SWGE. Star Wars has a look and I've said it all along SWGE has that look. The Mandalorian is a good example but also Jeddha from Rogue One and Tattooine from Episode I and if you've seen Rebels very Lothal.
BTW if you are a SW faan and have not watched Rebels or Clone Wars you are slacking, those two series although aimed at kids are very grown up, beautifully animated and wonderful stories that connect the saga together

Interesting point about The Mandalorian, I didn't want to bring it up because I an very vocally "pro" SWGE. Star Wars has a look and I've said it all along SWGE has that look. The Mandalorian is a good example but also Jeddha from Rogue One and Tattooine from Episode I and if you've seen Rebels very Lothal.
BTW if you are a SW faan and have not watched Rebels or Clone Wars you are slacking, those two series although aimed at kids are very grown up, beautifully animated and wonderful stories that connect the saga together
Yes I need to catch up on those two series.

Yes I need to catch up on those two series.
they're so good. I Especially loved seasons 3 and 4 of Rebels.
BTW was wwatchingg and Wedge Antilles said "refreshers" and I was like "a-ha, not a new word"

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!