Gallbladder Surgery

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
Anyone have their gallbladder removed? How long until you were feeling back to normal? What were some effects you experienced afterwards that we should look our for? Thanks!

Anyone have their gallbladder removed? How long until you were feeling back to normal? What were some effects you experienced afterwards that we should look our for? Thanks!
My mother had hers removed many years ago. I don't recall how long her recovery was for sure, but I don't think it was very long (maybe a couple of weeks, max). Biggest effect she had was she couldn't eat seafood any more. And had to cut back on the coffee.

My 78 year old mother had hers out in October. She went to an actual surgeon who specialized in stomach surgeries (he did my acid reflux surgery), and she felt good after the surgery, took no pain pills and was back to her old self in a few days. Honestly, it's different for everyone. She was shocked at how smoothly it went.

I had mine removed when I was 15 I believe (so 30 years ago) and what I remember the most was the discomfort afterward of the "gas" that I had since they fill up your stomach with air to expand it. That was the worst. I also had to be on a bland diet for a couple of weeks I think but other than that it was a breeze.

Had mine out about 2 yrs ago. No issues. Didn't take anything other than extra strength aleve. Def. sore and hard to lean up/down for first week or 2, but was back to work after a long weekend. I really haven't had any other side effects other than my BMs are a different color lol.

I had mine out in 2012, by laparoscopic surgery. Everything went well, it was outpatient. Didn't feel great for a couple days, but nothing bad. Felt much better after the first week and pretty much back to normal after 4 weeks. No problems after that

My recovery was about 2 weeks and I can no longer eat fried food. It’s been 20+ years

DH recovered in 2 days and never had any long term effects, also 20+ years

I had mine out last May...laproscropic. I think I was off 3 weeks because I was told I wasn't able to lift anything heavy and I work in childcare. Honesty it took me all that time to feel normal again. I had had some previous stomach surgeries before though so that may be why, they had to work around previous scarring, etc. I also WAY overdid it the first couple days I was on my pain meds so that may have slowed my recovery. The pain meds made me so constipated for awhile and then I had the opposite problem for a long while after that. After that seemed to ease up, I haven't had any problems with food like I was told I might.

Pain wise I only used the prescribed pain meds a couple days and then Tylenol worked fine for me. I used one of those belts to hold hold everything snug and that helped a lot.

As someone mentioned above the gas is the worst...I've experienced it with every abdominal surgery I've had but forget all about that discomfort until it comes up again.

My brother had his out out 3 years ago. He was back at work the next day (we worked together), and I think he took Tylenol or Aleve, but it wasn't RX. He was moving a bit slow though!
He can eat whatever he wants, no issue.

Thank you for your responses! Backstory: my son has been sick since 12/24. The consensus as of last week was the gallbladder had to come out. His surgery was on Thursday and he is experiencing extreme fatigue, light nausea, and dizziness. These are some of the symptoms he had prior to surgery. Thankfully, pain is not an issue. He took one pain pill then switched to ibuprofen. He is 4 days post-op and hasn't had any ibuprofen today.

I worry about the energy level. He has been so sick now for 2 months. He is an active, 21-year old kid who has been stopped in his tracks by illness. I just want his energy to come back. The doctors believe he had a stomach virus also, which led to the discovery of the gallbladder during an ultrasound. I'm a worried mom right now. I need him to feel better soon.

Had mine out about 2 yrs ago. No issues. Didn't take anything other than extra strength aleve. Def. sore and hard to lean up/down for first week or 2, but was back to work after a long weekend. I really haven't had any other side effects other than my BMs are a different color lol.
The doctor assumed my son would be back to school after the long weekend. There is no way he could do that today. Energy level is less than zero. The doctor says this is ok but idk what to think.

Understandable you would be wanting to see signs of improvement. Hopefully you will soon.

My husband had his gallbladder out laproscopically about 25 years ago. Wound up keeping him overnight because he struggled with nausea from anesthesia after, but healed quickly. He cannot tolerate fried foods and still can't look at an orange, which was what initially triggered the attacks that led to his diagnosis.

I don't think post-surgical fatigue is abnormal. As I recall, I felt fine, pain-wise, but it took about a week for my energy level to return after I had my gall bladder out (laparoscopically). When I had my gastric sleeve surgery, once again very very minimal post-surgical pain, but it was several weeks before I felt like "me" again.

The doctor assumed my son would be back to school after the long weekend. There is no way he could do that today. Energy level is less than zero. The doctor says this is ok but idk what to think.
Did he have symptoms of gallbladder issues before? I know you say he was sick, but with gallbladder issues it would be pretty extreme pain radiating from under his right rib cage to his back around the same area (not like a regular stomach ache etc.) Usually ppl. have had several episodes before they go right to removing it.

Did he have symptoms of gallbladder issues before? I know you say he was sick, but with gallbladder issues it would be pretty extreme pain radiating from under his right rib cage to his back around the same area (not like a regular stomach ache etc.) Usually ppl. have had several episodes before they go right to removing it.
Yes, he had the radiating pain for a few months on and off. Last week the pain was accelerating. He had small gallstones and slightly larger polyps. The sickness he had on Christmas was from a really bad stomach virus that sent him to the hospital. Then they discovered the gallbladder issues when the virus symptoms didn't do away after 2 weeks.

Yes, he had the radiating pain for a few months on and off. Last week the pain was accelerating. He had small gallstones and slightly larger polyps. The sickness he had on Christmas was from a really bad stomach virus that sent him to the hospital. Then they discovered the gallbladder issues when the virus symptoms didn't do away after 2 weeks.
Then as long as he's not feeling worse and getting a little better every day or so I wouldn't worry much about it at least for a ppl. weeks. Everyone's body is different and heals at different rates. If he starts getting/feeling worse then I'd take him back in, but otherwise he's probably fine.

After mine a few years ago, I was afraid to eat after all that time suffering after eating, YKWIM?
I wasn't eating or drinking enough and I was very lethargic. Could that be the issue?

After mine a few years ago, I was afraid to eat after all that time suffering after eating, YKWIM?
I wasn't eating or drinking enough and I was very lethargic. Could that be the issue?
I do know what you mean. Everything has made him sick for so long, he is afraid to eat. My sister is a nurse and she says calories=healing. I need to get more food in him.

I'm sorry your son is having such a rough time post surgery. I do not recall any fatigue after my surgery, but I also hadn't been sick for weeks before it. I can say, my gallbladder issues came on fast and furious. I had one major attack out of nowhere and the ultrasound discovered numerous gallstones and an infected gallbladder. Haven't had significant issues since it was removed almost 9 years ago, although my IBS has gotten worse. I can eat whatever I want.

I agree it sounds like your son needs more calories. Try a high protein milk, like Fairlife. I like blending the chocolate milk with some frozen bananas...makes a great shake. Fruit smoothies are another good option. Add some greek yogurt for protein. Chicken noodle soup. Pancakes, French toast, waffles. Scrambled eggs.

He will likely have some diarrhea after eating fatty foods fir a couple weeks. Totally normal and not a stomach virus. It's called dumping syndrome and happens because the liver has to get used to regulating bile release and it can take a bit for it to release the right amounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter