Gallbladder Surgery

I had my gallbladder out in 2012. I was off work about 2 weeks. My work stress was making the gallbladder worse by the day, so no one wanted to rush me back. And I needed the time. The first week I was still very tired. I would try to be up walking and then come home and sleep for 2 hours. The second week was much better, and I was pretty much ready to head back to work after the 2 weeks.

I still have issues with urgency to go to the bathroom. At first, it was under a minute at times to run to the bathroom. Now, I can get up to 10 minutes most of the time. But I go from not having to go to the bathroom to it being urgent in just a few minutes. But I have gotten used to things and can read my body much better now.

Had my gallbladder out laporascopically when I was in my mid 30s. I went back to work at my desk job after about 10 days, but was sore and weak. I'd say it was about 6-8 weeks before I felt 100% again.

As far as digestion goes, I was fine unless I missed breakfast. If I didn't get something on my stomach within an hour or so of waking up, the first thing I'd eat would give me issues. That lasted for several years but eventually stopped.

Last edited:
I had my gallbladder out about 14 years ago. I did have some complications and ended up back in the hospital about 4 days after the surgery (laparoscopic). I had severe pain, nausea, jaundice, and tea coloured urine. My surgeon was useless, telling me it was phantom gallbladder symptoms which can happen in women. But it got so bad I went to the ER. We learned when I was re-admitted, that a stone had gotten out during the surgery and was blocking the entrance to my pancreas. So it doesn't sound anything like what your son is dealing with which is good. Chance are he just needs a bit more recovery time.

I did not have the typical experience. When my gallbladder was removed, they missed an extra tube that attached to my gallblader (apparently I'm a mutant) and that caused a bile leak. I had severe abdomenal pain and a fever -- I basically felt the same I did with the gallbladder attack. They figured it out eventually, but I think it was 2 months or so before I was actually better. I also had severe fatigue for a few weeks. At first I thought it was related to the anesthetic, but it might have been because of the leak.

11 years later, and I will occasionally get severe cramping that will last a few hours. I think it's raw onion related, so I'm not sure it's actually at all related to the gallbladder, since that houses "extra strength bile" for breaking down fat.

Understandable you would be wanting to see signs of improvement. Hopefully you will soon.

My husband had his gallbladder out laproscopically about 25 years ago. Wound up keeping him overnight because he struggled with nausea from anesthesia after, but healed quickly. He cannot tolerate fried foods and still can't look at an orange, which was what initially triggered the attacks that led to his diagnosis.

I laughed at the bit about the orange :) I had mine out about 4 years ago and I still can't eat a chocolate chip or anything with chocolate chips - because it triggered a 9 hour gallbladder attack that sent me to the ER and surgery.

I'm sorry your son is having such a rough time post surgery. I do not recall any fatigue after my surgery, but I also hadn't been sick for weeks before it. I can say, my gallbladder issues came on fast and furious. I had one major attack out of nowhere and the ultrasound discovered numerous gallstones and an infected gallbladder. Haven't had significant issues since it was removed almost 9 years ago, although my IBS has gotten worse. I can eat whatever I want.

I agree it sounds like your son needs more calories. Try a high protein milk, like Fairlife. I like blending the chocolate milk with some frozen bananas...makes a great shake. Fruit smoothies are another good option. Add some greek yogurt for protein. Chicken noodle soup. Pancakes, French toast, waffles. Scrambled eggs.

He will likely have some diarrhea after eating fatty foods fir a couple weeks. Totally normal and not a stomach virus. It's called dumping syndrome and happens because the liver has to get used to regulating bile release and it can take a bit for it to release the right amounts.
He's lactose intolerant so getting protein from dairy sources has been tough. He tried his favorite lactose free milk today and had some heartburn shortly after. Will try again later. Going to try a non-dairy protein shake, Muscle Milk, today. He used to drink those everyday before he got sick.

He's lactose intolerant so getting protein from dairy sources has been tough. He tried his favorite lactose free milk today and had some heartburn shortly after. Will try again later. Going to try a non-dairy protein shake, Muscle Milk, today. He used to drink those everyday before he got sick.

Fairlife milk is lactose free, just so you know. They also make "shakes" called core power that are high protein and taste WAY better than muscle milk. You can find it in most supermarkets and on Amazon.

I laughed at the bit about the orange :) I had mine out about 4 years ago and I still can't eat a chocolate chip or anything with chocolate chips - because it triggered a 9 hour gallbladder attack that sent me to the ER and surgery.

Mine was triggered by Chinese. Still eating Chinese. I love me some General Tso's chicken!

My wife had her gallbladder removed on Monday morning. So far, so good with her recovery. She is still quite sore, but otherwise is feeling good. The doctor told her not to drive for a week, and not to pick up anything over 10 pounds for about 4-6 weeks. That is hard on her because we have a 2 year old son. She went to the doctor on Friday, and evidently the gallstones she had were very large. The doctor wanted to operate as soon as possible.

Mine was triggered by Chinese. Still eating Chinese. I love me some General Tso's chicken!

Mine was triggered by a chicken burrito and tortilla chips. One of the first meals I ate after surgery was...a chicken burrito and tortilla chips. Love me some Mexican food and I had been on a super fat restricted diet for 4 weeks leading up my surgery, so I was dying for a burrito again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter