gee will SW fares ever go down for late Jan early Feb

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
I started looking at fares from MKE to MCO for late Jan /early Feb when the fares first out

the rates were rather high so I waited and watched

then the return flight dropped to 109 so I booked with points--this was a few months ago

kept watching going down--started at 154 then jumped to 173 and its been that for quite some time now

could they possiblity be getting ready for some fantastic deal and I just need to be alittle more patient

any thoughts--I sure would like to get this flight booked

thanks all

It's truly impossible to predict. If you are booking with points, you should book them and continue to monitor.

Depends on your city, of course. My daughter has $50 each way booked in late January, Newark NJ to MCO. I think their may still be some fares like that for that route, which is nuts.

OP - out Of PIT, I had a flight just drop for early May & a week ago booked 9/30 for $107. Shocked it was still that low when other NS were triple the price

My flights over Presidents weekend have priced out double/triple since release date (Tuesday to Tuesday no less!). Will chalk that up to the holiday & the gymnastic competition we are attending @ ESPN in part.

Not sure how many NS a day are offered from your market but I have found that over the last few years the crack of dawn (5 am something yuck) & the last flight out tends to offer the sale rates.

Naturally the Tuesday to Thursday flights also trend lower in price

Since you are booked on points, easy to adjust. Make sure to check mid am on Tuesdays when the major sales tend to trend. However, with SW flights prices fluctuate frequently.

I just booked flights with points during President's week, they are super high compared to earlier in the month but what can we do, that's the school break. I was happy to get what I did even though I don't really care for the flight times. At least we'll have a few days in Disney!

Depends on your city, of course. My daughter has $50 each way booked in late January, Newark NJ to MCO. I think their may still be some fares like that for that route, which is nuts.
That's the deal I got!

OP, I know this is a long answer, but this is what I posted on another thread about when SW has price drops:

"I have an idea of a reasonable price from our airport. When I see a price & time I like, I book it. We have 2 trips coming up, 1 in mid December & 1 in early May. I did not like the times or prices with JetBlue, so I waited for SW. I was not able to book as soon as flights were released for December. I know I can usually get flights from $80-130 each way. The price was over 200 by the time I got home that day, so I waited. I kept checking & eventually the flight to Orlando dropped to $86 in mid July so we booked. There were only a few seats at that price & after we booked they went up to $125. If I had not seen it & booked right away, we would have missed that price. The way home was still close to $300 at that point, so I only booked one way. That one finally dropped to $109 last week (about 6
weeks later) & I booked it. There is another flight that day that is $86, but I don't like the time as much. So I booked those flights 5 months & 3.5 months out & I'm very happy with my prices.

For the trip in May, the flights opened last Monday. I was booking my flights on points & paying for my husband's flights. My round trip was about 10500 points. For my husband, the way down was $86 & the return flight was 109. So I booked both of us immediately. So those flights are about 9 months out.

We were also at Disney this past May. I did not book on opening day but panicked in Feb when prices jumped & some WGA fares showed as unavailable. I booked our flight home at 292, even tho I knew that was way too much. But I panicked. That flight eventually went down to $79 about 3 weeks later. So that was in March for a trip in May. Thankfully, SW still gives a credit. So I really learned to know the market price & wait for it.

From my experience so far this year, I have booked with very good prices 2 months ahead, 3.5 months ahead, 5 months ahead & 9 months ahead. There really seems to be no magic date to book on. I really think you have to know what price range you should expect to pay, be consistent with watching for that price & book as soon as you see a price in that range. It is nerve wracking but worth it!"

All that to say, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the drops. I have gotten price drops on Thursday mornings the last few times (and both were at 9 - 10 am , not 6 am either) even tho you read that prices drop on Tuesdays & middle of the night. That hasn't been my experience. You just have to know a good price & book it when you see it. If you will travel again within a year, keep looking so you can get credits. Good luck!

I would wait, i always get the best deals a month out on a Monday or Tuesday.

Too high for me to buy right now. Probably JetBlue down and SW home. JetBlue return flight is too early for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter